Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Need help on recycling one of the better map formats[using DB classic]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2003 00:42
I'm creating a floor using triangles.
Illustration (hoping this works):

I need to texture the hole surface with graphic with structure -like bricks or so. Any ideas?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2003 00:57
just planner map it

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Manson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2003 01:48
ehh,, what? could you explain?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2003 03:11
its simple in your UV Editor, or texture editor - i havn't a clue what your using for this, you just set it to a Planner Mapping ... so you can use a texture square

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Manson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2003 03:41
I'll try again:
the floor/ceiling is created using 3D-objects: triangles
The above is an example of such a floor/ceiling
As a map consists of thousands of such surfaces, I need a programmable way to do the texturing.

Does anybody actualy use DB for PROGRAMMING or am I the only one?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2003 21:18
Oh ... lol you need to program in planner mapping, i can't think of howto do that right now - but it'll use the Mesh Memblock.

i think what you have to do is find the Max - Min of the X Z vertex points - once you have that you can then use the Min as 0.0 and Max as 1.0 and take where the Vectex point from the top down is in relation to that and then plot the UV according to that.

erm like say

oki sorry i'm kinda bored here and i've lost my place cause of Kloud - he's talking to me about C++ and Dx,
i'll finish this a lil later once i can have my full attention

Manson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 01:37
Using memblock is a bitch, as I only have DB classic, and the enhancements only last like a month or so,,,,

This is f**king anoying, as the rest of my prog is working just fine,,,
And this could be quite an alternative to the bsp-format

Manson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 01:38
Does anybody have an alternative to the Memblocks?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 02:34
well there is a way to achieve this without memblocks - however really should be done within a 3D Program rather than within DarkBasic itself ... you could do this upon saving if you understand one of the more basic formats, but i dunno i think you really should look into what you want to achieve and more importantly WHY you want to do this within DB?

and you coulda let me know that this was for Standard rather than Pro or whatever

Manson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2003 12:30
I'm recycling the Build map format, not creating an alternative,,,
There's like 10.000 maps for Duke Nukem/Blood/Shadow Warrior, and each consists of at least 2000 floor/ceiling surfaces. Somehow I do not the idea of redoing all that manually,,,

So I need some kind of algorithm for doing this,,,, Whenever I get it I'll release an example of my work, but this is a very esensial part of my code, which I can't figure out myself,,,

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2003 14:28
well if all you want is a simple topdown style editor to achieve maps similar to Duke Nukem or Doom, thats a different kettle of fish isn't it

really to make it easier i'd use something like worldcraft, but if you insist on making your own editor then i'd suggest you download Doom from the id ftp - it'll give you a good base start

Manson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2003 01:50
As I am recycling the map format, I am not creating an editor, I'm using the map files.

I'm done with the most difficult parts,,, exept for this texturing prob, which I'd like to get back to: ANY FANCY IDEAS ON HOW TO TEXTURE AN EVEN SURFACE WHICH CONSISTS OF 3-DIMENTIONAL TRIANGLES

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2003 04:52
yeah well as your USING the map format then perhaps it'd be an idea to see how THEY did the mapping, that way you only have to translate what is already there.

and i think using the word recycling is wrong, because you're not recycling the format at all your just adding support for it... there is a huge difference.

most of the mapping for each of the map format is generally faked from the extensions of the XYZ which is then translated over a dot product to give you the real XYZ positions

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 09:01:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 09:01:46