Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Little Help Anyone?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2005 23:13
I am new to Dark Basic, but i have already learnt a small amount and been able to make a pong game with the help of a tutorial. I want to start a 3rd person shooter project and need a bit of help. First off I was wondering if its actually possible to make a menu screen at the start of the game. I have not seen any in tutorials and didnt know if it is possible. Also i was wondering if someone could give me a rough guide to the core structures for creating maps, people, and other various elements in a game.

Many Thanks

master programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 05:35
Yes its possible. I do for all of my games. You should use some sprites and some 2D media to make buttons and backgrounds. Then, use a command like if mousey()=>640 then paste image 5,0,0 whcih if the picture is in the right spot and the image is loaded, would change the picture of an image into another one, like a hover button on a web page.

I don't know where to start telling you how to make it. I guess you just have to be a little more experienced with DB. I'll try to get a tutorial.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 05:42 Edited at: 5th Aug 2005 05:44
OK.....this isn't really a tutorial, its more just a pice of code from my main menu off of my game *notice I didn't mention the name of my game for you David R.

I don't know how much that will help you.

You really have to make your own media for it to work and you have to create your own gosubs and labels and stuff to fit your game.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 17:51
Your code has too much media and i dont think gosubs are really necesarry, besides, i dont think he knows what gosubs are since he's only made one game..

here's a menu that i made, it doesnt have any media which means you can just copy and paste the code, and it doesn't use the mouse, its the up and down keys..

though i advise you that since you've only made one game, and a very simple one at that, and you learned it from a tutorial, i don't think you're quite ready to make a 3rd person shooter, but thats not for me to decide, i was just helping out with your menu system

p.s. if you want your menu to look nicer id suggest using master programmers idea

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Ad87am
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 21:25
Thank you for helping, i will see what i can make of the scripts. I have been reading alot of stuff on the fourms and found out that it will be very hard to just jump into a project such as the 3rd person shooter. I have decided to make some more simple game in the hope that i will learn a bit more of what is needed and about the commands. I have decided to make a block breaker game, jsut like the old "Alley Way."
Thanks again for the help.

Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 04:05
when you say 3rd person shooter do you really mean 1st person, cause i am not grasping the whole 3rd person shooter concept.....

There is a 1st person shooter tut (DBC style) on this website that would be more beneficial to run through than trying to create a block breaker game out of thin air....
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 13:17
3rd person shooter is when you can see your character shooting

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Me!
Years of Service
User Offline
tombraider third person
doom first person

from the programming point of veiw 1st person is easier since you just use the camera veiwpoint and model weapons (and maybe hands), with third person you have to animate the player avatar and its reactions to world events as well as provide the weapons, more work.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 01:35:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 01:35:39