Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Just got DBP and need some suggestions.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok so I just got DarkBASIC Pro and I need to know some things.

1) What are the best tutorials/site for people who have never programed before? Something that will take you step by step but doesnt have to be 100% detailed.

2) What DLL extensions should I download, and if you suggest one post where to download it. I do not have money for the DBP extenion package right now but I will get it in September.

If there is a good and free GUI DLL to use I would appriciate it.

3) What database system should I use? I hear you can use MySQL. Do you need to download and install MySQL itself? If so, how would I distribute my game without having to have people download and install MySQL when the game needs to read and write MySQL data?

I do not have MS Access on my computer so that is not an option. If you can use Excel 2003 books as a database I could use that. If you suggest Excel, please give me a tutorial/site where I can learn how to read and write from/to an Excel book.

4) I was reading around and saw that the recent update causes slowdown but there was a way to fix it. If some one could post the tutorial/link on how to fix this please do so.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 17:35
3) I have released plugins that allow dbp to use SQLServer, MS Access, and MySQL databases. MS Access need not be installed on your pc to use and .mdb database file in your apps. You just wont be able to edit or create databases on your pc.

click the link below to go to my DBP page. You might also be interested in the DBP_NETLIB plugin which is a general purpose plugin for DBP with losts of nice functions.

All of the above is free for use and distro.
Have fun

DBP Plugins Latest: MSAccess, SQLServer, MySQL plugins for DBP
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 21:45
Basic Tutorials:

http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?f=dbpro_tutorials

Binary Moon tutorial. Designed for DB Classic, but most of it holds up in DB Pro.

http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?f=t02/bm_tutorial_index

The last few newlsetters have had a number of tutorials written by myself and MikeS.

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?gf=newsletter

EsteemDE
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I have released plugins that allow dbp to use SQLServer, MS Access, and MySQL databases. MS Access need not be installed on your pc to use and .mdb database file in your apps. You just wont be able to edit or create databases on your pc."

Well I looked at your plugins page and read the documents on the MS Access and MySQL plugins. They both have the same type of commands and I got a question about them. Which one do I use to write to one cell inside the database? I saw how to read whole rows and colums and how to write to a row, but not how to write to a single sell when providing a row and colum name or number.

Also if anyone could help with my last question I would appriciate it.

Quote: "4) I was reading around and saw that the recent update causes slowdown but there was a way to fix it. If some one could post the tutorial/link on how to fix this please do so."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 01:35:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 01:35:13