Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Create your own Shoot em Up!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 21:08
I've just begun work on a new program that lets you create your own arcade shooter without any artistic or programming experience. The first release will be free and I plan to keep it that way, depending on its popularity and my status as a poor college student

The Shoot em Up Creator (just the working name) lets you use predesigned ships or create your own with a simple editor that allows you to piece together ship parts and primitives (similar to DOGA if you're familiar with that). The editor can do anything that DBP allows you to do to objects and has extra features like setting part of a ship to automatically spin, for helicoptors etc.

There will also be a level designer that lets you place buildings (either predesigned or ones you create with the editor) enemies and scenery. Enemies can be given flight paths that are simply drawn with the mouse. The level designer lets you custumize and create everything from backdrops to lighting.

Users can also choose from predesigned HUDs or create their own. Of course they can also create their own title screens and story line sequences.

I've been working for roughly a week and have made good progress. The ship designer is completely done and I've just started on the level designer (right now just placing and modifying scenery is done).

I know most people here aren't interested in this kind of thing since we are all programmers but you think there would be interest in the main stream? A long time ago I got into game designing by using a program like this that was made for RPGs. Its still quite popular 10 years later even though it only lets you work with graphics that were old 15 years ago, so I think there is a demand for this kind of thing.

Let me know what you think!

Ship Editor:

This ship was made in under a minute

Level designer:

This scene was created in about a minute

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 21:56
Dude! This looks awesome!
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 22:15
wow! can u also export the models that you make into 3ds or X models? great looking thing though! good luck

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 22:24
Yes you can export them to a .x model but the thing is you have to use a single texture as I don't know of a way DBP can export object without first turning them into a mesh (and losing texture data). I'm looking into that though.

For use in the game you save them as a unique file type that the game reads and then reassembles.

Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2005 20:57
Hi ya Kain,

Looks cool, keep up the good work Any 2d/sprite support or is it all models etc.?

p.s. I found Shift Break while sorting through some of my CD's the other day, ahh seems like yesterday. But it was in fact Septemer 2001 ish. Blimey. Time flys an' all that.

Cheers!
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2005 21:41
Hey Lampton,

Thanks for the comments. The shooter is going to support 2d and 3d. Its also going to be set up so that you can rotate a 3d model you created in the ship editor and snap shots of it to use as a sprite or modify further.

Yeah Shift Break was a long time ago. With an editor like this I think I could recreate it in a few days

Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 20:48
Just a quick update:

I have the enemy scripting engine about 75% complete. The path an enemy will travel is shown by dots, at 1/4 of a second intervals. The script can be up to 8 minutes long and as acurate as changing instructions every 1/4 of a second. If you set a flag telling the ship to be at a certain place and rotate to a certain angle it will calculate all the data in between. Positional movements are finished (you can grab and drag the lines or move around the scipt with a slide bar to change positions) and I'm starting rotations now.

I should also mention you can set a flag that makes the ship take "smooth" corners instead of sticking rigidly to the flight path. Thanks X-Trade for that suggestion.

AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 20:55
That looks incredible, I can't wait until you let us play around with this.

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Samsung SyncMaster 997DF, 80GB HD

jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2005 03:35
As always Kain impressive.

Tinnedhead Productions

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.
thinkdigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks promising. Good Work

Forgive the sig, I'm learning PHP

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 08:27:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 08:27:09