Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Ronin (the new thread)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2005 23:27 Edited at: 28th Nov 2005 01:28
I asked my last Ronin thread to be locked, curious why, read the second to last post on it . Special thanks to MikeS. And well I'm not gonna post what I'll call 'learning work' on here, as it was one of the things that cluttered the last thread
Now to sort out the info of it to make it apply to the WIP rules
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Ronin
Team Members:
Modelling + Animation:
Bryn Price(Seppuku) - Leading
Adam Biles(Eedam) - Architecture and other models

2D Stuff:
Bryn Price + Cian Rice(Cian teh Animeblood) When availible

Programming:
Gauthier - Leading
Bryn Price- Assisting

Rest:
Bryn Price

Current Special thanks(will be updated):
RPGamer
The Game Creators site,
Cinema 4D,
CGTalk,
Dark Basic pro.
Animeblood,
BenDstraw
3D Kiwi - Cinema 4D Plugin writer, those who use c4dcafe will know who he is.
Software used so far:
Dark Basic Proffesional - Programming
Cinema 4D CE 6 - 3D modelling/animation
UV mapper - UV mapping
Photoshop 6 - 2D stuff
ModPlug tracker- Music/sound FX, MP3 music
Anvil Studio- Midi music (may not be used now I worked out ModPlug)
Hair Plugin- Monster edition for Cinema 4D 6 and above

Genre: RPG, turnbased move selection, more classic RPG

Testers feedback credit so far to: Zotoaster, Sett

(why am I opening credit to so many, because well otherwise it would be credit to me, GMAN/lost inthought and the applications used )
---------------------------------------------------------------------
The Story;
The lead character, Akai, a Samurai in training for the general command, who is asked by the Daimyo of the Takeda clan to fight alongside with General Nachi in the battle of Hizen castle, and well Nachi sends the troops off to attach and well you go offf into play and fight along side Nachi until they reach the general and kill him off....once the battle is won, it will go into FMV and Akai will get attacked, defends and well the enemy general draws out a no-dachi (big two handed sword) and smashes Akai's sword, unlucky, so Nachi attacks the general and starts to lose, Akai not being a coward, looks for a weapon, and finds a bow and arrow, and well misses and hits General Nachi, Nachi's army flees, and Akai is punished by becoming a Ronin, he would've rather commited Seppuku(ME!!!) but he followed orders and seeked jobs in the Ronin world, and his first job is to assinate someone in his old castle, and well heres a dirty secret about his Daimyo, finds it so dirty and evil, as a cliche the secret is that the general has found a magical power he wishes to use to run Japan under tyranny, and well he says the where abouts of the fire magic, and Akai sets out to get it....saying more would be a spoiler....

The Characters:
Akai Takeyama:
Specialty- Kendo
Sex-Male
Title- Samurai

Himika Kiyamoto:
Specialty-Kendo, Unarmed combat
Sex- Female
Title: Apprentice

Kuroi Akutomo
Specialty-Kendo, Kyudo(Archery)
sex: Male
Title: Dark Samurai (Kuroi means Black, Aku means evil, kinda obvious )
Tsuki Morita
Specialty-Kendo, Bo-jitsu(staff, Spear and Naginata)
sex: Female
Title: Student

Michiko Zennin
Specialty: Ninjitsu
Sex: Female
Title: Ninja

Yoshi Shirotoi
Specialty-Unarmed martial arts, master
Title: Wiseman

Nachi Katsumoto
Specialty- All samurai arts
Title: Kensei/General (Kensei is a master of the sword, literally meaning 'Sword Saint')

Miyamoto Musashi:
Specialty- Kendo
Title: Legend (He was real, he was a legendary samurai who wrote the 'book of the five rings', you can find that in a big book store or Amazon or anywhere else thats good)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I like my idea, and I am very sure I can pull it off, as I have coded each part of the engine needed before and well its just pulling all the knowledge together now I have learnt enough DBP and enough 3D modelling, as for music, I started using Garageband, but am gonna learn a PC music maker.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Progress:
Engine 1- Ditched, too buggy
Engine 2- 10%, it used NGC, and became a problem, ditched (got back onto a battle engine, got as far as stats effect hit, but still needed a lotta work)
Engine 3- 15%, has collision code and test level, and opening menu and NPCs that talk
Graphics- Not too much done, only Himika's head and test level, NPC in progress, huds.
Music- a few songs added, of my own creation.

-Engine 4-
By suggestion of Sett;
To make the Ronin engine even stronger, We are redoing the Ronin engine again, but making the source code compatible for those DBP users without 5.8 or above, plus some parts will be improved .

Progress:
Camera (Sett)
Collision (Sett+RPGamer, Sett is using an old code snippet of RPGamer's)
Talking (Sett)
Main Menu graphics + Menu (Me)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Screenshots:
This one demonstrated my latest test level but seemed to exported wrong and weird like, and well the camera range was bad(changed it)

Here is the original in Cinema 4D, see the differance

Deled test level, may as well keep it as my default test one, notice a lil prob in camera range, now sorted (because at first I didn't realise that was my problem)

Himika's Head

And well you can download engine v2 at 8% complete here
http://files.filefront.com/RPG_tech_demo_v01/;3937682;;/fileinfo.html

And now to make this post even bigger, info on the game engine, the engine is called Harakiri (why not, similar to seppuku) I am copying this from a text document of what I have done, so its in that sort of format;
Harakiri

RPG Game Engine

Current features:
Talk Engine
Walking Engine
Music Engine
Collison engine
Joystick control features
Keyboard control features
Opening menu

To do features

Full system battle engine
Game menu
Saving/loading
Talkable variables
Inventory
Leveling/stats
Changable party
Shaders (turned off if not supported)
FMV support

|Feature glossary:

Battle Engine:

This isn't going to be your run of the mill classic RPG battle engine, nope, its differant.

The concept seems weird at first but let me explain;
You have a 3 character party, you can switch the 'main character' off of battle, basically, each character has a differant 'job' in battle, on will be Melee, one will be projectile attacks, other will be magic/summon.

So
Melee will hold the enemy back with strictly Melee close up attacks, they will get any damages, projectile, magic and melee
Projectile attacks will be bows and arrows, ninja stars, giant ninja star, Muskets, they will Projectile damage from the enemy
Magic attacks, will be harmful magic, support magic, time magic, summoning demons, will recieve magic damage.

So as an example, if I were to use this in Ronin

Akai (samurai) would be melee fighting a Samurai
Himika would be magic
Michiko would be projectile

In certian games, like Ronin, the rule is the projectile attacks will be ones with the skills, these skills will be Kyudo and Ninjitsu (Archery and Ninja)

Talkable Variable:
Talk to an NPC, tells you to give a package to some one, give it to them, they will say something, and then later say something differant, basically what you do can change what people say.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comments welcomed and well appreciated, hopefully it won't get cluttered like last time, if it does, tough luck I guess

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2005 23:33 Edited at: 7th Aug 2005 23:35
also I would have more, but I'm not gonna load the engine at the moment to take screenies, as I have some upload on the net already, as a starter thread I didn't feel it was necessary to upload more than there was on the net, and well the 8% of engine v2 should make up for lost screenies

[Edit]
wow I just realised, the old ronin thread was my 3rd locked thread, and this time for being innocent......goes to show I behave now

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
tell me something before i downloading it, did u finished with the windows part?

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2005 23:45
what windows, its the exactly the same tech demo you downloaded before, its the old one, I just thought it was relevant so I could post it in the new thread, I haven't got any downloadable updates as I am not happy enough with what I got so far to post it

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
then make new stuff man!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2005 23:50
i wanna, so I will, I would help with the rush stuff I'm supposed to do, but I came from my aunts today, and am not in a 3D modeling mood

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2005 00:14
wow, that huge thread and its only 8% complete? , oh well looks cool anyway... keep it up

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2005 00:38 Edited at: 8th Aug 2005 00:41
Well here is the update, I left a comment for GogetaX As they say the truth hurts

Well I've added NPC's making this more like Engine 2, but will have a collision code I prefer, and non DBP made graphics. I get a little problem, but I have found it happens in some of my other games like Kal Online once my PC has been taken advantage of since last shut down, so I hope its due to the processor telling me he's not gonna have it until I restart him, or I need to edit code.

Well heres a screeny on the engine update
[edit] feck! didn't like that link lemme try again,

@Zotoaster, I'm afraid so, most of that thread was full of stuff I added and then found I didn't like and found I could do better, hence I called it 'learning stuff'
oh and thanks

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2005 00:45
The upper lip on Himika looks a little too mushy, but other than that looks great

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2005 00:54
so it does, thanks

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: ""hey dont u think the kid GogetaX is such a dork, i prefer Seppuku""

ill remember it next time..

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2005 01:07
of course, I had to put something in there

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2005 18:10 Edited at: 8th Aug 2005 18:14
Well I've got the new engine v0.1 download for you guys, its the same as the last one basically, but it uses a differant code and uses a dbo level. And well I only up loaded this at the stage it is at so people can compare the two.

well here it is.

http://files.filefront.com/Seppuku_RPG_Engine_new_v0/;4022050;;/fileinfo.html

Also I killed the GogetaX dork comment, that was only there for the screenie

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2005 18:47
You should model some Samurai armor...

Need a team? No noob bullshit, visit http://www.teamrequest.com
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2005 19:37
I plan to, Akai will hardly be a battle field samurai with out armor
Anyone tried the demo, I just wanna see if anyone has any problems, I get my FPS pausing at points, but I think thats my graphics card, I just wanna make sure its not the code

also you may notice I haven't got FPS in my debugger, I forgot the lil snippet to do so, I tried what I thought it was, but didn't work

WarGoat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 02:26
much better than the other. the music was a remake of final fantasy 7, right? even for the menu it was so easy to reconize it. anyway, keep up on this project.

Windows XP,pentium IIII, 1,9 MGZ, 256 mb memory, 128 mb video card ATI Radeon 9200 se s80 'sett squadron back on the assault'
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 02:34
thanks dude, yeah I'm borrowing the music, until I got me own, as Garageband is mac only as I'm not willing to keep burning to CD, so I'll find an alternative midi program...while I'm on the subject, anyone know where I can get a free midi making program, I got one but thats a trial, I downloaded earlier today.

@sett any bugs? by the sounds of things thats a no, so I can copy and paste the menu back into the engine and tweak it, then move onto 'find the npc game' to test variables etc.

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 03:27
MIDI only? Hmmm. Don't know of any myself, but if you're willing to take the mp3 route I'd heartly reccomend the following:

free stuff:
ModPlug Tracker ([href]www.mogplug.com[/href]) - this is a full fledged tracker, the sample banks are non-existant however so you'll have to spend some time gathering up samples. This is my favorite tracker sheerly because of the streamlined interface.

[/b]KRISTAL Audio Engine[/b] (http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/) - a most excellent audio loop sequencer ah la acid, or indeed garage band. Fully implimented with vst 2.0 support, makes compressing/effecting a track/loops a snap This would be the best thing if you have a sample cd or two. I use this in conjunction with MPT (see above) for mastering; I have the blueline plugins (everything from EQ to flanger to destortion)

Skale Tracker beta (google it) - never had much experience with it, Fallout uses it tho so it can't be all bad now can it?

MadTracker 2 (http://www.madtracker.org/main.php) - the preferred choice in tracking nowadays, never used it myself but it sounds great and has excellent vst 2.0 support and vsti support

$$$:
Fruty Loops $40 to ~$600- good for quickly creating techno style stuff, however as with any "commerical" studio you can create anything with it. As an aside, if you get the demo, there is no time limit/restrictions on ANYTHING except saving to the native fl format. (p.s. if you do download fl, make sure to check out freda&toby - maybe)

Reason 3.0 $450, although if you don't care about regestering it you can get it for $20 - $120 at ebay I recently got reason along with a midi controller, and I must say I'm blown away! The only drawbacks to reason is the lack of support for thirdparty plugins (i.e. synths), which sucks at times when you're reading about some new fantastic new synth in CM. But it's a completely selfcontained composing envirement that actually simulates a actual gear rack! I better stop before I get raven on this post and spit out 200+ words on this Suffice to say, if money isn't an object and you're serious about music, get reasonable!

ACID can't remember price... a completely fleshed out loop based music creation studio. Everything to do with loops, however if you don't have a sample cd you're pretty much stuck getting free breaks off the net.

I'm starting to make the transition to Reason, however I'm a composer freak so that's probally out of your range. I reccomend taking the ModTracker route, since that exports to midi as well as mp3

Cheers

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 12:04
sweet, thanks dude I'll try some out

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 15:31
I tried out your demo, its actually quite good though it slowed down after i talked to people...
Try to make the camera rotate round the player, its annoying when you cant see him because the camera is behind a wall..

I have 2 ideas for the water bit:
1)the guy says "actually its not frozen, we just have a lazy arse programmer, thats all..", then it says in big text "C Hey, shut up, I'm not lazy!"

2) in your model put a big cuboid over the water so that you cant walk into it, then hide the limb so you cant see it..

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 15:47
thanks, I found it slowed down, found that a bit odd because that only happened when I added the second NPC, I could have the extra text lol
as for the water thats what I planned to do, thanks, but I guess I wanted to leave it so I could leave the sarcasm in the engine and do it properly in the game/demo. And well the camera disapearing is still something I'm working on, the level is crappy like it is, because of the things I'm testing for (collision, movement, talking commands, music and keyboard/joystick control, as no many game have joystick/pad control, and well I don't wanna waste my money on a joypad I only use for FF8 and Sonic Heroes )

WarGoat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 19:20
yea actually there no bug. and its quite fast.

Windows XP,pentium IIII, 1,9 MGZ, 256 mb memory, 128 mb video card ATI Radeon 9200 se s80 'sett squadron back on the assault'
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 19:25
@Sett thanks, and well I guess I give credit to GMAN for the nice collision, I can never get the object to stop/slide in my collisions, I've tried so many times, I guess I'm not cut out to make my own collision code

http://seppukuarts.afraid.org
PC- 1.5ghz 64mb graphics gforce 2 256mb ram. And a pain in the butt
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2005 01:50
@Zotoaster, right, I've decided to satisfy you, but was talking on msn and well as soon as I've finished on there, I'm going to bed, so I'll just screen the code for ye, well here is your contribution to the engine

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2005 19:23
damn no real updates yet, but just as news at the moment, I will not work on this properly until I get me new card, as mine is killing me, even in my simple ronin engine its gone cookoo, or if reinstalling windows solves my problems then I'll back up my work, and will work on it from there

And well since last post, I've done very little as I am posting may as well state it
1 bug fixed, the character no longer slows down after chat (at least it seems so, can't tell with my peice of crap called technology!!!!)

and I've added another NPC, and changed the text to fit in with a scene that will be in ronin where you got three characters, one you test the battle engine with, the others is the guy standing on what to test speaking, and the other NPC just explains the controls. And well the music changed to the 'sleeping forest' tune fro, FF7

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 13:36
update

huds, by animeblood

optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 13:54
nice...how do you do ur sig with status of online and stuff?

lets get up and lets get ill
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 14:31 Edited at: 18th Aug 2005 14:32
[href]www.xfire.com[/href]

btw seppuku, i have the text font.. change it, i cant understand nothing with that font..

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120....
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 15:03
well its gonna be bigger, I just couldn't be arsed to change it before screenshotting it, I plan to use a differant, I just put the first one that came to mind, the intention was really to test the huds.

Thanks for the comments

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 15:51 Edited at: 19th Aug 2005 15:52
I found using the dbo object a lil slow on my system, so I made meself a quick level in Cinema 4D as a .x and runs much smoother for me, meaning I can progress easier. I haven't yet sorted out the NPC positions to suit the new eviroment so they bend over to the character as shown in the attached screenshot.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 12:33
This project is not dead, no worries, I've been a wee bit busy, but have slowly worked on it.

So I'll give you a worded update of what I've sneaked in.

Engine updates-
=>Code reordered for ease and will be easier for people for when and if I make it open source.
=>Engine more tidy, no known bugs now.
=>Menu added

Media Updates-
=>Low poly NPC in progress, will be used as a base model for male background characters, needs doing, hands/feet, texturing and animation
=>A bunch of music made as .mid, some Oriental sounding ones, some more freaky like, suitable for a dark forest, will be uploaded ASAP, well as soon as I got more to showcase

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 15:40
You've let the samurai down.

The future is here, and I can't afford it.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 16:00
I know, but I'm trying to get it done, I'm still passionate about it, my PC doesn't help either, hopefully once I've got the battle part done, I can start on the proper part of the game, hopefully a new graphics card will solve my slow problem, and get into this more again

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 18:34 Edited at: 5th Jan 2006 21:19
I was trying out Anime style in Photoshop, just because I was bored, and thought I'd do an anime version of the character Tsuki

Also, I noticed, I haven't given a brief about the characters, well, I'll add them in the big description above

"I want to put a bullet through my head everytime I think of you!!!"- Slayer
Louiz ofRohr
Years of Service
User Offline
k.. I like the toon above

The worst foe lies within the self..
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 22:18
kinda like concept art, but my first try at anime...thought I'd try one of me characters

Louiz ofRohr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 22:42 Edited at: 11th Sep 2005 22:43
Yep.. It is really nice..

I draw all of my characters on paper before making them 3D..

hmmm.. I can see your working I think it is about 15% now, right?

Another question:
Did you update the tech demo?

hehe.. asking because there is a wait time of 17min ^^

The worst foe lies within the self..
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 23:10 Edited at: 11th Sep 2005 23:15
no i didn't, wait till it says 20% and I'll upload one, if I update them, I'll tell ya

Yeah, I always do mine on paper too, So far I've done Akai, Himika and Tsuki on paper...need to recoverd Akai and Himika for showcase.

I didn't think any point in re-uploading because all is changed is added original music, more and better NPC's, new background scene and an almost full menu, as well as tidying up

arrgh the only music I can do that sound good is evil...why didn't I do the other stuff when I did music year 7-9 lol

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2005 01:08
Eh, what's wrong with evil...

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2005 01:12
doesn't suit ronin

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2005 01:55
Music will be added if I get time tomorrow, I will pick out the non crappy ones out for ye guys

Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
wow seppuku, we have the same second name... cool

we must be long lost cousins or something...

anyways, the game's lookin cool

:: 3Ghz Pentium 4 / Hyper Threading, 1024mb RAM, 250GB HDD, 256mb Radeon 9600XT Graphics ::

:: Current Project: Quest ::
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2005 00:22
yeah...funny, not j/k

whats ur first name anyway, Ben, Duncan, the cousins I never see cos if it is i may have said some stuff about your dad on these forums somewhere

Thanks for the comments

Quote: " Music will be added if I get time tomorrow, I will pick out the non crappy ones out for ye guys"

Soz let you down, got home, had food, checked messeges, had to unexpectedly study Utilitarianism(wow I can remember the word, difficulty saying it though ) for RE, hopefully, I can upload tomorrow

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2005 08:00 Edited at: 13th Sep 2005 08:12
Quote: "we must be long lost cousins or something"

@Pricey: it cant b true, there is alot of differents between you 2..
Pricey is MUCH smarter from you - seppuku..

BlueLight Online, improved version of MorningOnline
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2005 19:43
well if he's Ben or Duncan, he'd be a Uni Grad...sooo...that statement would be true...besides, define smart, I lack all common sense...but am book smart

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2005 21:19 Edited at: 17th Sep 2005 13:39
Music uploaded, not too brilliant stuff, but it works, not all Japanese like, haven't got the hang of that style yet, and well, I only learnt midi in year 9, and well never really bothered too much about it

link

http://files.filefront.com/Seppukus_test_musiczip/;4127507;;/fileinfo.html

[Edit] some music isn't Ronin biased, some where attempts that turned out crap, so they stand out, I didn't realised I put them in the zip until just now

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2005 13:39
Check first post, I've given an extended info on the engine, sorry for lack of updates, me crappy PC is really killing me here, hopefully it will be solved with a new GFX and reformatting, better get CD's to back up me data with.

No comments on music other than Animeblood over msn...shame

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 12:14
apologies for the lack of updates, being busy is a curse, well new screenshot dudes, I've got onto the inventory, some would say it a photoshop screenshot, but is actually both DBP and PS
Its not really to show of programming skills, as it lacks the amazement, but is a heads up I am putting as much as I can when I can. Plus to give you guys and outlines of the inventory system, for any crits for changing or A OK.

The name is back dudes!
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
nice font, but does this font exist in our computers, cuz if not, it wont work,
but if u made that font as a bitmap font, it will work.. or u can add that font to your main root folder of the game.. i guess it will work..

BlueLight Online, improved version of MorningOnline
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 12:46
thanks,

I'll see if adding it to my root folder will work, when I put the demo for BETA testing, the font will be one of the things I want tested, if it doesn't work I'll settle for Arial

The name is back dudes!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 12:24:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 12:24:45