Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / using matrixes

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2005 16:01
Im using dbpro.
was wondering if there is anyway to flip a matrix up onto its side to create like a hallway or box i can seem to only get a flat matrix #
#
looks like this ##### but i want it to look like this #####
is it possible.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2005 16:35
you could use models instead, matrixes are too high poly, they have 4 polys per tile and slow you game down too much

im not a dbpro user but im pretty sure yuo cant flip a matrix

"Well if she dies it'll teach her not to do it again..." - Me
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2005 17:32
There are only 2 poly's per matrix tile, but apart from that, Zotoaster is absolutely correct.

You can't rotate a matrix around any axis. You can rotate the camera though to make a matrix look like it's vertical - but then you wouldn't get any horizontal matrices, so it's a waste of time.

As he said, use Create Object or load models to do what you are after.

TDK_Man
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2005 00:38
hmm im completely new to this whole programming thing guys but i was under the impression you coud rotats or shape a matrix using a vector in (dbhelp examples matrix) there is an example of matrixes and has several cool things done with them including terrain that is not flat and not just using texture tricks to make it look that way. also i would like to point out that a matrix tile is made from two triangles consisting of a total of 6 vertexes. however all 3d rendering uses vertexes i dont see how a matrix could p[ossible slow a game down more that any other 3d model witch consits of many more vertexes than a matrix. but i could be wrong.

what i really want to do is build my own map/world without using a builder like hammer or cshop. i want to program all of it was wondering if anyone knows how to build objects and make terrain hallways houses just with code?
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2005 00:53
um if you cant put collision on a matrix and cant do anything with it but have a flat textured surface what good are they?
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2005 13:44
You can't use the collision commands with a matrix, but you can detect when an object touches it. You don't have to have a flat matrix either!

You just don't use the Collision commands - the matrix has it's own command called Get Ground Height which reports back with the height of the matrix at a given X,Z position. You can use this info to reposition your object so it doesn't go through the matrix.

As for a matrix having to be flat...

http://www.computechtenerife.com/waterfall.rar

TDK_Man
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2005 17:05
Matrices don't have to be flat! You can set height of any vertex.

Boo!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 01:28:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 01:28:17