Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / which way is easier?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok...Say I was planning an RPG with graphics, gameplay, and all that stuff. And say that I want the quality of that content and the gameplay to be just as good as one of the Final Fantasy games starting from part 7 to 9(hell, i could never make one as complex as 10!). Would the best way to approach this with DarkBasic Pro be to make the entire game in the DBPro editor or write an app(something like RPG Make 2000, but a 3-D version) and then make the game with the app i wrote? So which way is better? Please don't make an a-hole outta me like that one kid that wanted to make a final fantasy game in like 10 minutes. I just want to know the best way to approach something like this. Thanks!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 04:27
OK, the first thing you want to do is plan out EVERYTHING you want to do in this game. Open up a wordpad and START TYPING!!!

See how you want the game to feel, graphics and play wise. Explore what kind of features you want the game to have, and how you would go about coding them.

Draw up some flow charts, plan your time! Decide what you are going to do first (not characters, just use blocks at first) and then go from there.

Next, your probably going to need a team. So, post up here (please have some evidence showing your progress, documents and screenshots are nice ) And get ready!

Code a BASE GAME, with crappy everthing. Just make it so you can go from point a to point be in the game, without all those pretty textures to look at

After this is accomplished, begin increasing the games performance. Yank out those cubes and pop in some real characters! Use textures this time! Make that menu system pretty!

Go over your game multiple times, each time adding more and more detail, watch that frame rate though!

Once you have gone over everything, you are going to have to finalize it. Have as many people as you can play the game thoroughly, checking for bugs. TRY TO FIND BUGS FOR CRYIN OUT LOUD! Much better you finding a bug, then someone who actually bought the game

Once you are sure your game is perfect (or as close as its gonna get) go out and find some advertisement. A few people here have sponsors who pay you for advertising for your game, or maybe, help fund for a commmericial.

You have this great product, dont stick it on your www.myname.subdomain.companyname.biz website! YOU NEED TO TRY!! Dont let that hard work go down the crapper! Advertise! Make people know there is this great game out there!

Now the fun part Let the game hit the market and roll in the dough baby! Have fun!

Now, this is a long process, and I probably left some parts out. A lot of people dont really scan their game over, which is why it sucks. They try and make everything great at once. Try something like this, and you will have a lot more fun programming, especially if you make money out of this

Now, this is no short process. I wouldnt be suprised if this took you 5 years, but it would all be worth it if you got a good profit, and had a bunch of fun doing it

I hope this helps you!

Regards,
RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy!
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 09:54
If you'll gonna look for some members, I could be your/one of your modeler(s). I'm a newcomer here...

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 14:13
Modellers arent needed right away, later in the making process they are.

RPGamer

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 19:14
You defenantly don't wanna do anything like RPG Maker. Do you remember how limiting that game is? Do it in code. If you make an app it'll take you twice as long, besides if you want to add something you didn't include in the app then you gotta re code the app, add even more time to your project. Stick with coding, it works better.

Am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?
Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of samishi?
Never assume that what you see or feel is real.
halfcab
Years of Service
User Offline
alright, that sounds good. I actually already have every detail of the game(except for the plot itself) written in a few composition notebooks that i take with me everywhere in case an idea hits me. I catually already have a complete team, too. But thanks for offering Mach! I would post some deatils about my game in this forum somewhere so u can read them, but I'm afraind some a-hole will come along and make moeny off my ideas. Thanks alot, RPGamer! When I finish my game you're definitely going into the special thanks section(unless, of course, you would prefer that I wouldn't). Thanks again everyone!

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 22:38
Heh thanks I help when I can

RPGamer

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2003 13:30
Where and when will you post it?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 18:09:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 18:09:27