Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / More complex models in FPSC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok i understand the basics of how to import a model with needing a TGA file and a .X model and the proper .FPI script BUT when say importing a model like a gun you need various models such as how it will look on the floor how it will appear on your hud and how it will look when you are holding it. This seems very difficult and could use some explaining to me what is a .dds file? How do you control animations in FPSC all of these things befuddle me.

THx

glyvin101
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2005 08:53
a dds is just lika a tga...you dont need dds for your model.

the animationsw are controled by the fpe..

such as

walk 1-30
crouch 30-60

etc

like the manual says...you shouldent make your own weapons completey...its too confusing...do what i do

copy the gun folder that most resembles your gun, thenreplace one by one the individual files such as models or sounds...
replace dds files with tga files of the same name...

hope that helps

I am really BULLSHOCK, but my profile got deleted...really, i'm telling the truth!
Manic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2005 19:02
actually, if your just replaced the dds with a tga, it wouldn't work, the .x file references the dds including it's extension.

a dds is a texture format, if you want to make your own, you can get an exporter for photoshop (google for it) which should work in Paintshop pro.

personally, i'd use 2 models, one for the hud, and one for the floor, as the floor one can be much lower poly

I don't have a sig, live with it.
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2005 21:52
Quote: "actually, if your just replaced the dds with a tga, it wouldn't work, the .x file references the dds including it's extension."

wanna bet?

try it...it works fine...all the fpi's in fpsc reference to .tga files, but they end up getting there data from the dds files

I am really BULLSHOCK, but my profile got deleted...really, i'm telling the truth!
Simon
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
The point of having different models for HUD, pickups and Viewable weapons (vweaps) is actually so that we draw less polygons per frame.
Since the HUD model is only even seen from one side, we can save polys (and hence improve graphics speed) by having no detail on the unseen side. This model would normally have about 2000 triangles.
Pickup weapons, can be seen all round, but don't need as much detail as you don't see them up close. These are generally 500 to 1000 polygon models.
The lowest polycount model is the viewable weapon - The one that enemies carry - you never see it in enough detail to warrant more than a 100 or so tris.

All the models share same texture plate which is in DDS format (easily converted to using some free software from Nvidia)

Theres nothing to stop you building one gun model and using that for pickup, vweap and HUD, but its possible you'll get a perfomance hit. Imagine 10 Colonel X's all running around with 2000 polygon weapons, which are rarely seen bigger than 20 pixels - the graphics card has to deal with all this unnecessary polygon detail. Its surprising how quickly you can reach a cards upper polygon limit.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 09:14:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 09:14:50