Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Problem with Textures on .3ds Models

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Greetings!

There is a problem with Dark Basic Pro as far as the loaded textured .3ds models are concerned. Dark Basic Pro loads these objects but textures the whole object only with one texture ignoring the others even if the model has been textured (when making it) with many different textures.

For Example: I have made a tree object with Anim8or and textured the bark with a bark texture and the leaves with another greenish texture.When i load the tree with DBpro the whole tree is textured with the greenish texture.This means that the bark as well is green!

Do you know how this can be solved? When I export the object in Anim8or and then Import it there it is all right, so the problem must definitely be with Dbpro. I have tried other models as well with the same problem...
I believe the same problem existed with DBclassic as well.
NanoBrain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2005 21:34 Edited at: 19th Aug 2005 03:22
[erased]Useless.

+NanoBrain+
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 01:39
If I understand your problem correctly, I think it's more likely to be the object's format than anything else.

I just quickly made a tree in Truespace using two textures and saved it as a .X file.

I loaded the file into DB Classic and it displayed perfectly. You do NOT need to use any texture commands as DB gets the info from the .X file itself. Just Load it.

Don't know if it's true with DBP, but in Classic, the textures used must be in DOS 8.3 filename and reside in the same directory as the .X and DBA file.

I've attached my .X tree and DBA file for you to run in DBP - I can't see it being a problem running it.

TDK_Man

Attachments

Login to view attachments
NanoBrain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 03:24
TDK,

Do the textures, which were used to texture the .x object, need to be placed in the same folder as the model? I am assured so.

+NanoBrain+
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 12:24 Edited at: 19th Aug 2005 12:24
Make your tree with 2 limbs. The bark and the leafs. And IF the model doesn't show correctly, you can do it manually using the load image and texture limb commands.

Immunity and Annihalation makes Immunihalation...
ithilgore
Years of Service
User Offline
TDK i don't texture it inside DB.I just load it. I use however .3ds exported models from Anim8or. Is there a converter from .x to .3ds?
because i cant afford a non-freeware 3d modelling programme.
And i always put the texture used for every model inside the main directory (in jpg or bmp format)
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 22:12
NanoBrain:

Quote: "Do the textures, which were used to texture the .x object, need to be placed in the same folder as the model?"

Yes. As I mentioned, the textures used must be in DOS 8.3 filename and reside in the same directory as the .X and DBA file. To be honest, I've only ever used .bmp files for textures as I use DB Classic, but DBPro should be able to use JPG files too. In fact, DBC probably can too - just never checked.

ithilgore:

Did my .X file work OK then? I've never used 3DS files.

There's a free program called 3D explorer which I think can convert 3DS files to .X files. Might be worth trying.

If not, there's a free version of TrueSpace (3.2), but I'm not sure if that will export .X files. Might be worth a try...

http://www.caligari.com/products/truespace/ts3/

TDK_Man

ithilgore
Years of Service
User Offline
ur model worked fine.
i ll try the converters now.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 03:21:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 03:21:35