Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / DAVE - the Daft Amount of Variables Environment

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 12:54 Edited at: 18th Aug 2005 12:56
DAVE is the 0th game in the Stickman Series. The 1st game is Bomb Dodger, which some of you may have played the demo of, and there are other games in the series which I've done a small amount of work on, but not enough to be worth showing. The idea of the Stickman Series is to concentrate on the gameplay over the graphics - however, the graphics will improve in later games, as the world in which the games take place evolves.

Anyway, the basic story. When the world was created, it was very complex, with many different things to keep track of. For that reason, it was named DAVE - the Daft Amount of Variables Environment. A lifeform was created to watch the progress of the new world from the ground, and to aid in the development. Due to the limited resources of the new world, this lifeform had to be created using the only suitable resource available - sticks - and so, what is now known as the 'stickman' was born! This stickman sacrificed some of his power to create more stickmen, each with some of his abilities, and the new stickmen created more stickmen over time. As the population grew, the new stickmen gave the first stickman the name Dave - and the title of ULTIMATE STICKMAN GOD!!!

At this point, the player is introduced, either as a preset stickmen, a custom generated stickman, or a randomly generated stickman. They have been around long enough to have a basic understanding of the world, and have chosen a career as a random adventurer - basically, someone who chooses a direction, runs forward, and sees what sort of opportunities arise. On the journey you will fight fierce battles, trade and wager with fellow stickmen, discover incredible landmarks, earn thousands of pixels, and perhaps even meet crafters such as the Davelopers. Those random adventurers who use their skill and luck appropriately may even meet Dave!

So, I bet you all want to see this incredible RPG/Roguelike/Progress Quest game in action? Well, tough! The proper demo is not quite complete yet. However, I have made a very basic demo, which is available at http://www.shockedfrog.com/dave.zip and allows you to participate in a battle with a very easy stickman, who explodes quite nicely. Note that only the basic attack works completely - the Stab skill will do damage, but there's no animation, defending has no animation, but will half the damage you recieve from your opponent's next turn, and trying to escape won't work at all, because I haven't added it yet.

The main reason I'm posting this incredibly limited demo is because of the problems I was having a while ago, and still suffer from, where DBP games run slowly, but if I run a flash applet in the background while the game plays, it actually goes faster. I even tested it on Not Gavin's computer, and the same thing happened there. I think he's using the same Nvidia drivers as I am. If you download this demo, please try it twice - the first time, play it without anything in the background, and the second time, open a browser window at a site such as http://www.shockwave.com and leave it open while you play. I used to be able to use these forums, but someone's removed the flash applet. After testing, let me know which time ran faster, and also post important stuff like your OS, your graphics card, which drivers you're using, that sort of thing. The game is best played in 640x480, but unfortunately, if I use 640x480 fullscreen exclusive, then the flash applet in the background thing doesn't work. If you want to see the game in proper 640x480, change your desktop resolution first, or if you're using XP, then switch on 640x480 mode in the compatibility options.

A proper demo will be released when it's done, featuring battles against proper enemies, trainers who will improve your stats, merchants who will sell you better weapons, and stickmen to wager against.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 19:22
screenshots man!!!!

shockedfrog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 20:09 Edited at: 18th Aug 2005 20:19
Not the real point of the topic, and you could have actually posted the info I wanted in the time it took me to take a screenshot, but here's one anyway. Enjoy.

Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 20:29
It was rather cool actually.
And it ran smooth on my PC

*** PANZERGAMES ***
Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
I like it!
Good graphical style, it's not to cluttered.
Can't wait to see more.
Ran very smoothly on my pc

The happenings of tommorow are behind us now
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
erm, but why u decided to call it "dave"?
"dave" game is already exist u know..

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120....
shockedfrog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 15:44
Got a link? A search turns up a utility called DAVE, and games such as Dangerous Dave and Dave G'nukem, but no game just called DAVE.

Anyway, the rule is that most of the core characters of the Stickman Series must have simple, common names, and people who have more than two syllables in their name are often disliked since people can't be bothered saying their names. DAVE seemed like the most appropriate name to start the series with, and the only one I could think of a decent acronym for.
shockedfrog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2005 01:38 Edited at: 9th Sep 2005 01:40
Current progress on DAVE:

The Good News
Goldrush13 has already made most of the game's strange but good soundtrack, including catchy tunes such as "Richard Nixon Finally Figures Out The True Meaning Of Christmas" and "Penn and Teller's Fantabulous Skull Factory Massacre" (which might not end up being used).
The battle system is pretty near complete now - a few finishing touches, then I can start adding the weapons, items, and skills that use the system.

The Bad News
The main problem is that every computer I've tested the game on has had the same bug - the game runs slow unless the player has a flash applet running in the background. While this isn't a problem during testing, it's a bit of a pain for potential players if they have to do something that defies the usual rule of 'close everything' to get the game to run properly. I'm posting it in the Bug Reports in the hope it'll get looked into this time - although DBP is my favourite programming language at the moment, I'm reluctant to continue coding with it if I'm cursed to have a buggy game at the end.
There's still a huge lack of things such as animations and items, and I've just realised how slow a task it'll be to add stats for even 100 weapons, never mind 1000. I'm planning to make a utility - probably in VB rather than DBP - that will help me make the item code a lot faster, but it's still going to take a long time.
Although I know how the story begins and ends, the lack of a middle is a bit annoying right now. By the time the game's finished though, I'll have too many random things in my head to fit in, so I don't see this being a major problem.
I'm back at college, and so DAVE time has been reduced a bit.

No new screenshots or demos or anything yet because of the whole flash applet thing, but since the story of DAVE is one that must be told, especially since one of the later games in the DAVE series is my big college project this year, there should be some better news later in the year.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2005 21:14
Don't blame that on DBPro. I have never had such a problem. In DB click on 'Settings' and the (probably) 'Windowed - Full Screen'. Mainly, make sure you don't have full screen exclusive selected as that will kill your frame rate.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
shockedfrog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2005 12:31
It's on windowed full screen already. Full screen exclusive does kill the rate, even if a flash applet is running in the background - perhaps just because it's generally slower, but also possibly because the flash applet doesn't affect it in exclusive mode.

Kind of hard not to blame it on DBPro when every other language I've tried works fine. Anyway, I'm going to have to reinstall DBPro on my new computer soon anyway, so I'm hoping something will click and it'll all work normally again.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2005 16:28
Well I have no idea why running a flash applet speeds it up. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 08:30:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 08:30:30