Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Help Wanted: Programmer for online game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 00:16
Im making an online game as soem of you know, and there are some times that I get stuck, especially now that Im just learning how to use the DGSDK. Im looking for some one who can help me out when I get stuck on some problems that I cannot fix. This person would be given full credit for their work. I want to do this so that #1) My entire game source isnt on the message boards and 2.) I dont flood the forums with simple problems everyday.

If you are interested please contact me.

And mods, if this also is in the wrong spot, maybe you should make a help wanted section.

Formerly The Fixxer
http://www.xiemsoft.cjb.net
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 00:47
I clicked on this to see a game thats WIP, I dont see any game... does anyone else see a game?

do you know that there are little things called RULES!
you don't post team requests, especially in the WIP board you tube! Besides, when you have nothing to show do you think that anyone is gonna go "Oh yay! i wanna help make this!", no its more like "OH NO! NOT ANOTHER TEAM REQEUST!" ---..........THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED!!!!!!!!!! NEXT TIME POST YOUR GAME!!!

Briere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 01:14 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2005 01:17
First of all Zoto go jump off a cliff.

Secondaly, where am I supposed to post them then?

http://www.calltoarms.vze.com
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=54471&b=8

Formerly The Fixxer
Louiz ofRohr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 01:56 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2005 01:59
Quote: "maybe you should make a help wanted section."

this is right

.:edit:.
But the mods would be a little bit more satisfied if you
post at least an image.. Because it would mean you started a
project.. Then you could start asking help..
.:edit:.

But since there is no an appropriate place for doing that,
I think this is the best place..

Good luck with the mods

The worst foe lies within the self..
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 01:59 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2005 02:01
@ Xiemsoft There was a help wanted section. It was called team requests and the whole thing was removed becuase people posted things like you just have.

You show no proof that you have made any effort to make the game.

This is lock-tastic

When the power of love overcomes the love of the power... the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Bo**ocks to Blair
Briere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 02:01
ok fine ill upload some old screen shots. If you took time to read the news on my site, youd under stand why they are old.

Formerly The Fixxer

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Briere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 02:03 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2005 02:04
And another SS.

These are taken with place holder models so that I could get the programming done. The games official models will look much nicer, Ill ask the modeler from an ss or two when he gets online.

Formerly The Fixxer

Attachments

TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 02:03
Yeah, you really should post a LOT of detailed information on your game, including screenshots, and maybe a cuurent build before you even bother posting a team request. If someone hasd made signifacant progress on a game, then asks for help, that may be okay. Well anyway, good luck surviving the mods

“A lot of people approach risk as if it’s the enemy when it’s really fortune’s accomplice” - Sting“
TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 02:05
P.S.
Quote: "Zoto go jump off a cliff."

Not very smart...

“A lot of people approach risk as if it’s the enemy when it’s really fortune’s accomplice” - Sting“
Louiz ofRohr
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm.. great start
now I think that the mods can't lock this one..

The worst foe lies within the self..
WarGoat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 02:42 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2005 05:02
Quote: "now I think that the mods cants lock this one.."

lol mods can lock anything they want. but its looking great. keep up the good work. I can help you programming multyplayer if you want or other things. already in some porject but i can help. but, yea, as louiz said. i don't think, me too, thats mods is gonna lock this thread.

Windows XP,pentium IIII, 1,9 MGZ, 256 mb memory, 128 mb video card ATI Radeon 9200 se s80 'sett squadron back on the assault'
Briere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 06:01
Well I have started over using the DGSDK, I was using DB before, thats what I had done before I re-started. I need a second programmer to give me some help, not a full time one. Ive been trying to use raknet but it doesnt seem to be working, and the people there havnt been able to help me make it work, so I may be using winsock. I already have a small header file with winsock functions made already with the help of benjamin, just the very basics. Client Start, Server Start, Listen, Send, Recieve.

Formerly The Fixxer
WarGoat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 17:04
ok im in if you want. What should I do? multyplayer connection?

Windows XP,pentium IIII, 1,9 MGZ, 256 mb memory, 128 mb video card ATI Radeon 9200 se s80 'sett squadron back on the assault'
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 17:05
Oh my.

Couple of things before the mods lock this that you may need to know next time you want to post for help.

1) A large portion of the members will not click on your link to go to your website and read your news. Couple of issues happened in the past where people placed banners on their sites to make money and then flooded the Forum with links that say "I need help! Come here, Great Game", etc, etc...

2) As someone mentioned above, there was a Team Request forum at one time, but it got insane. So many people were asking for help with that wonderful, yet funny as hell "I will give you full credit". Really. That line is a complete insult. Even asking it makes the person who is requesting help seems very shallow and unimportant. I have a fulltime game programming job, wife, kids, mortgage, bills, etc, why on earth would I want to help someone who will give me "full credit" or the other insanely funny one "when the game sells"...

It is understandable that you need help and that at the same time you wish others to know that you are willing to give something back for their time and effort. I personally feel you may want to rephrase your question.
a) Create the entire Game Design Doc. I can send you a Word template if you wish.
b) Create the functional write up / storyboard. Again, I can send you a Word template if you wish.
c) More information on what applications you are using. I can tell that at one time, you were using Dark Basic, but no clue if it was a Dark Basic or Dark Basic Pro. Now you are saying that you are using DGSDK, so the system will be developed using C++? Visual C++?
d) Who is your target audience? I personally like to write children's and puzzle games, therefore I would not really be interested in a FPS or something with blood, gore, body parts, shooting, etc.

Just a FYI. Enjoy your program!

-This...is my boomstick!
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 17:22
Quote: "This person would be given full credit for their work."

oh, well thank god atleast you aren't going to steal our work and take all the credit for it!

The future is here, and I can't afford it.
Briere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 18:04
Ill ignore all the complaining that found its way into your post, and get to the important stuff.

1.) The games design docs and storyboard docs would be great.
2.) Im using VC++ 6.0 and DGSDK and Raknet.
3.) Target Audience: Mainly males, ages 10 - what ever age you die at.

And meg, you're the only person I wouldnt give credit too

Also, I've been ripped off twice by 2 people from THIS FORUM. They said they were going to help me, they got all my code and files and then never responded back.

Formerly The Fixxer
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 18:13
haha

Quote: "First of all Zoto go jump off a cliff."

dont call me Zoto 'softie'

and you can jump into a tub of poo

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 18:27
Here is one of the templates that I use.

Quote: "Also, I've been ripped off twice by 2 people from THIS FORUM. They said they were going to help me, they got all my code and files and then never responded back."

As I mentioned earlier, they may have looked at your code, realized it was either beneath or above their knowledge and decided it was not worth it, or as you stated earlier, are taking 3 weeks off. Don't think that people will be at your becken call when you need help. Be thankful if you get a reply back in 2 weeks (which seems average for this board with help).

No offence, but I don't think you need to worry about people developing a game and making money off your code.

Best of luck with your game!

-This...is my boomstick!

Attachments

TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 22:11
Im all for trying the impossible, but have some proof, i am not too crazy about visiting and searching your site either. And dont be dissing other much more experienced members till you have some more people behind you.
Quote: "oh, well thank god atleast you aren't going to steal our work and take all the credit for it!
"

yes, thank you, for a second i thought you were going to violate law #213343....

Briere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2005 05:09
Ill say what I want when I want, I dont need you to tell me what I can and cant do, thats the moderators job. Mind your own business.

Formerly The Fixxer
master programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2005 11:27 Edited at: 24th Aug 2005 11:29
Holy Moly, this thread is full of steam - if I was a mod this would be the first post locked! And not just because of the team request, but because there have been some words.
Quote: ""jump into a tub of poo""

(That was actually funny though)

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2005 11:34
lol, but mostly because of the team request right?

optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2005 12:52
flamefest!

**** server is up and running FROM 19.00 GMT ON 23 AUGUST 05 ****
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2005 16:09
No, it's the hypocrite TDP who doesn't know where the line is.

The future is here, and I can't afford it.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2005 17:17 Edited at: 24th Aug 2005 17:18
@TDP

Quote: "And dont be dissing other much more experienced members till you have some more people behind you. "

was that to me or that other dude that told me to jump off a cliff?

TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2005 16:19
that was to the dude that told you jump off a cliff.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 08:34:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 08:34:54