Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Hi, I'm the new guy

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 04:34
Hey Darkbasic Community,

I'm new to DarkBasic but I'm willing to learn and ready. So what should I do first? I already know the basics of programming, mostly with QBASIC which isn't really object oriented.

I already own DarkBasicPro, but haven't really put it to the test yet, I'm not sure what to begin with...

"I will work harder... if you ask me enough times."
warship45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 12:10
if u r new you should realy start with somthing easy just until u get the hang of it a good thing to start with would be a story gen very simply to do but a good stepping to stone.

lone land the rpg
web site coming soon
Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 12:44
You could also take a look at the pong tutorial thread stickied at the top of the newcomers corner page. Another good tutorial is the binary moon tutorial which can be found herehttp://developer.thegamecreators.com/?f=t02/bm_tutorial_index

After that start a small project (arcade game) and have a go at build the basics of the game then start adding extra options.

If you get stuck people are on hand to help
Good luck
Jozers

Life is like a box of chocolates...
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 18:05
yeah, acrade games are good things to start with, but ive notices that all people say is "oh no, not pong!", try making something lie this that I made a while ago

Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 18:24
Great Game Zotoater,
Yeah something like that would be brilliant. Even if it was even less complicated. What alot of people do is descide they are going to make the best MMORPG game ever but when they don't know where it start they get bored and stop programming. What you need to do is set lots of small and achievable (spelling????) goals because it makes you feel you are making progress. Rather than big and very challenging goals.

Life is like a box of chocolates...
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 18:54
I know exactly what you mean, when i first got DB i tried to make this huge RPG, and it ket getting agrder and harder, and I didn't even get close to finishing half of the first level... so I stopped making it, and started making things like that game that I just posted, and after lots of making simple games, but getting harder and harder I'm much better, and now I could make that level that I was making as my first game in about 5 minutes...

Programmer of Power
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2005 19:47
Thanks for all the advice. Zotoaster, do you mind if I modify and examine your program more closely? (I know from previous experience that studying other people's work can be just as helpful as making my own.)

"I will work harder... if you ask me enough times."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 03:19:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 03:19:17