Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Complete game dev

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2005 20:29 Edited at: 25th Aug 2005 11:12
The title have complete game dev 'cause it have a litlle of all.
I'm making a game for that moments that you want to play and you're borred of anerything.
The consept of the game is simple: You chose a character (Male of Female)and then you can costumize the character. Then when you start, you have enought money to buy a house to live. The house can be customize, like buy stuff like fofas, tv, big beds, etc....

The problems:
-I'ven't found a way that the player earn money. I though in a job but I want this game to have a internal cloack like ours and a real time job is weird...plz give me you sugestion about how the player earn money
-I don't know if i'm gona include an online mode. This game was design to that: players have their houses, then you can get your oun house, with your stuff; You can split it with m8 or with your gf and players can send messages to each others. This is basicly an "see if we live together can work". But i have some problem on the imput, is there a way to block more that (Ex8 letters? and there's a strange bars at the botton of the letters, how can i solv this?

-Is there any free world builder with open source? so i can have an idea how to programme the custumatization of the room?
-I need a free modeling tool (plz, not milkshape cause there's a problem with the serial), does anyone know one?

Here's the development document (In construction)
[http]www.ideiasinc.net/truephantasy/doc.rtf[/http]

Thxs for the time

True Phantasy
Louiz ofRohr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2005 23:24 Edited at: 24th Aug 2005 23:29
Quote: "plz, not milkshape cause there's a problem with the seril"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=pt-BR&q=free+3D+modelling+tool&meta=

3D worlds are 3D objecs.. so I think you can make
3D world with a 3D modelling tool

Boa sorte..

The worst foe lies within the self..
Louiz ofRohr
Years of Service
User Offline
and.. DON'T include onLine mode.. don't ask..

And in a real-life-simulation game the player can't earn
money by just collecting coins.. It would be a large game
if you want to create many occupations for the characters..

So I think the best answer for this is: this is your project..
If you want the characters collect coins, then make them to collect coins..

The worst foe lies within the self..
NanoBrain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2005 07:07 Edited at: 25th Aug 2005 07:08
Fox Dark Master,

In order to limit the length of the inputed string, the piece or line of your code that accually adds the new character to the string, needs to be nested in an if statement that checks if the current input string is equal or less than 8 characters.

Example:

This line of code above is quite general, but might also be universal to fit your code. If you have questions on how to implement it into your code, then show me your user input code and I will modify it for you, with explaination.

About modelers, check out Blender or Anim8or, two swell free modeling programs. However, there are obstructions and conflictions between Blender and DBC.

About the bars below the text, it might have to do with the user input part of the code. I truly do not have any clue, however. With a look at your code, maybe we will come to the problem and then solve it.

+NanoBrain+
Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2005 11:14
Thanxs a lot guys ^^
Note: It was serial, sorry

True Phantasy
Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2005 14:52
But i still can't figure how player can earn money :S

True Phantasy
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2005 18:24
How about ebaying stuff. They won't have to leave their house, and you can simulate the bids etc. What they sell is up to you, of course - maybe you have a crafting system? But something like ebay (without it being ebay, of course) would avoid it having to be a 'job' and the player can do other things while the auction is going on.
Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2005 20:01
don't know.... my ideia was to have some diferent jobs....

True Phantasy
CaMeRoN H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2005 05:31
Hmm how to u do that logon window?

Current Project: Stealth Operations (Fps)
Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2005 10:14 Edited at: 26th Aug 2005 10:16
The window.....
I was trying to make a real window but every time i compile, the darkBASIC itself give me error, it says that i haven't declare the type i used for the window:
I never could compile it and now that my trial version can not compile... i'm waiting for friend of mine to sold his DB Pro (Why the demo isn't updated with the fixed bugs?). And i haven't work yet on the code to move the window so it's still incomplete.

The log on window you say is very simple: It's automaticly center because of the screen width and the screen heightcommands:

True Phantasy

Attachments

Login to view attachments
CaMeRoN H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2005 16:33
Thanks!

Current Project: Stealth Operations (Fps)
Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2005 16:48
i have one question: i want to create a database system trought ftp. The only problem is.... files are the area that i don't understand... i mean, i've tryed a lot but i can't do it right (because of that, a school work receive a not so great mark....anyways....). I just want the db to connect to the server (of course, fist verify if is an internet connection) an then open the file with the registations. The verifys the user and the his password. I really don't know how to search for strings in that way. Suposelly, we gona need a simple structure:

now the problem is to access the files :S

True Phantasy
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2005 20:03
dont use ftp for databasing, use my plugins for MS Access, SQL Server, or MySQL.
click my sig link to download whichever ones you need

Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2005 20:22
LOL, does that include documentation? still, can someone explain how to acess files and copy its context like i sayidup there?

True Phantasy
Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 15:12
Does someone know how to build an Log window?
I know that i must create an array and every time something happens the previous info goes down but i don't have any idea how to replace the text

True Phantasy
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 17:30
You could alternatively create a txt file on disk and write the comments to it. A routine would then read the text from the file and display it in the window a line at a time.

This also has the advantage that if you quit the game and come back the next day to continue, your log is still intact!

TDK_Man

Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 19:24
lol, that's the obvious part ^^. I was thinking more on the screen isntead on the disc

True Phantasy
Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 02:45
how can i aplly Cell shader effenct with darkBASIC? i've tryed with the set cartoon shader comand but i can't understand how it works because the efect i want is not the final result

True Phantasy
Fneep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 11:37
Has anybody played the Sims?
This sounds so much like that that it is not funny.

Has any "inspiration" been "borrowed" without EAs permission?

Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2005 00:11
LOL, the inspiration cane not from there. It was a browser game called Harboon hotel or something. At fist i just want to do a game to change the room at our will but now it wave the extensions like the entire apartment block can be ocupied by real persons ^^.

This was one of my characters for another game:

But when i tested on DB the hair was strange :S
[http]http://www.ideiasinc.net/truephantasy/demo_char.rar[/http]

True Phantasy
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 12th Sep 2005 07:38
I think I discovered why you get _'s under user input. I just got another computer and installed Darkbasic Pro on it. When I ran a simple input command I got the same _'s under the text. That computer has a video card on the motherboard... an Intel 82865G. So changing to a better video card should solve your problem.
Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2005 11:34
LOL, I've a GeForce TI 4200, It's not on board. And this one is perfect for testing the minium requires hehe.
But if the problem is the Direct draw...... I've the 9.0c

Have anyone tested the demo program yet?

True Phantasy
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 13th Sep 2005 04:11
Ah. I wonder if that's the problem on my new "throw away" computer.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 03:28:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 03:28:12