Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Text between levels and smooth jumping

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have made a sort of 3d pacman clone. It has a red sphere that chases you, and some stuff to climb on. I just need to smooth the jump, because you sort of just teleport up. I saw a good tutorial on this somewhere but i can't remember where. I searched the forum again and haven't found it. When you finish level one by collecting all the dots. it is supposed to blank out the screen then ask if you want to play again. it doesn't do that. Can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Here's the code:

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2005 14:38
With regards to your text problem...

In a 3D game, any text you print to the screen is immediately wiped off at the next screen update (Sync).

To stop this, you have 2 options.

1. Put all text printing on the line immediately after the Sync line in your program.

2. Use Set Camera View 0,0,1,1 which effectively turns off the 3D camera - freezing whatever was on the screen. When you've built the 3D screen for the next level, use Set Camera View 0,0,800,600 (or whatever screen mode you were using), to switch the camera back on again.

TDK_Man

Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for the help. It worked great. I am going to work on a new level. If I use the "if object colision(1,0)" then how do I find out wich object I am coliding with? Another question is how do I make the sphere slide on angle objects? My last two questions have to do with collision and jumping. How do I make the object continue in the same speed and direction when its in the air? The other is how do I prevent the sphere from climbing objects?
In the code I made the sphere able to jump whenever it is coliding, so if you are holding jump and touch and object you shoot back up again. If I could tell If is was touching the top of an object, or the side I think I could prevent climbing.

Here is the new code:
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for the help. Your suggestion worked very well. Is there a way to find out what face of an object the sphere is colliding with? Is there a way to make the sphere slide on tilted objects?
When you collide with the red sphere it is supposed to ask you if you want to play again. Why doesn't it do this?

Here is the new code:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 03:26:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 03:26:38