Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / need help with collision on a matrix

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
First of all, if this is the wrong place to put this thread, i'm sorry, this is my first post.

Anyways, I'm making a top down racing game (think micro machines), and i need some help with doing the collision for my matrix terrain. At the moment I have my beautiful matrix terrain, made with Geoscape3d, and my .x car model, which can be driven around the level. The problem is that my car can drive through the mountains on my track, and as far as i can tell, there's no easy way to do collision, so any help, code snippets etc. would be appreciated.

also, with this being a racing game, it's going to need realistic car physics. At the moment, i've got realistic acceleration, deceleration and braking, but at the moment my tracks are level, and the car just drives a certain height above the ground. Do the physics come with the collision, or is there something else you have to do? Again, any help would be appreciated, but the collision is more important that the physics...for now.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2005 20:19
I have to assume from what you say that you don't have a DB matrix terrain as you said it was done in Geoscape 3D. What you have is a 3D model terrain.

You also didn't say what version of DB you have (like it clearly states in the stickies at the top of the newcomers board). This is because the answer to questions may be different for the two versions of DB you see.

Anyway, I'm not assuming anything about your programming experience, but if you are a newcomer then you have just discovered why DB's matrices are much easier to use when you are learning - although, they aren't quite as pretty!

You will have to learn about collision and implement it yourself with the terrain you are using. DB only provides commands for it's own matrices.

You treat your terrain like any other 3D object and use the collision commands.

TDK_Man

olivehehe 03
Years of Service
User Offline
Damn, probably should've been more specific. First of all, I'm using DBP, and second, I used the "Save as Dark Basic Matrix" in Geoscape and got a .gdb file and a ton of bitmaps and .dbm files, so I'm confused... Is that my matrix terrain or is it something else? Oh well. Thanks anyway TDK

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 03:22:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 03:22:47