Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Are there any commands missing in DBPro Trial?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 13:14
Hello. Really new to DBPro(3-4 days or so). But I am not new to programming in general. I have purchased the full version of this program and am awaiting it's arrival.

So I am using the Trial version at the moment. Maybe I have missed something but most of the code-snippets or 20-liners or other examples I download from this site will not compile in it.

e.g.
What is wrong with the following line of code? It looks fine to me
Quote: "SCREEN_WIDTH_BOUNDARY = (MAP_WIDTH * TILE_SIZE) - (SCREEN_WIDTH - 1)*TILE_SIZE"

yet I get a compile error <Irregular number of brackets in line 33> !? - in most other programming languages this would be an acceptable equation (providing variables have been declared and initialised correctly.)

Another one was a 20 liner pinball game - wouldn't compile because of a Lock limb for blah blah or something. I gave up trying on that one.

I could make a very long list here but it seems to me that quite a lot of the examples on this site are non-functioning. Also, a lot of these code-snippets need media files which are not supplied with them - that's no good is it.

Let me stress this, I know it's not the sites admin at fault here. I just wish programmers would think before they submit totally useless pieces of code that no one will ever get to look at because either a media file is missing or there is a typo or something.

Inexperienced users of DBPro will get disheartened if 7 out of 10 example programs downloaded do not work. It makes DBPro look buggy if you see what I mean.

I hope I am not coming over as being too negative or a complaining, whining git. The examples that work have been really good, the 20 liner Keep-Up-The-Ball program is a load of fun. Also the breakout with what looks like a cannon in the middle of the screen is good.

They worked fine - I JUST WANNA MAKE SOME GAMES! WAAAH!.

I am looking at making an FPS but I will start at the begining and make a few simple games just to familiarise myself with these DBPro commands.

I don't understand why most of these code-snippets won't compile. Other users seem to have no problem with them.

Hmmmm, hopefully I will work this out but did anyone else similar experience teething difficulties with DBPro Trial?

btw I am now completely bald as I have pulled all my hair out.

Thanks for any advice or tips offered.
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 13:40
Try putting a space on either side of the last astericks...

That sould fix that up ( I hope ).

The reason that the examples, and/or other peoples code wont work is that the Trial versin of DBP is outdated.

Between updates there is generally a large amount of functionality change/tweak between certain commands. And, unfortunatly, it's not well documented ( except Here ), so new users are left in the dark a little bit.

It's generally assumed around here that anyone wanting to run the examples will have update 5.8 ( The latest one, available Here ) which means noone really says "This only works in 5.8", or even bothers to test it with older versions.

You have already bought the product, so when you get it be sure to update and then try all those examples/games again, and given you have the latest DirectX, you will have no troubles at all

Also, I recommend doing these updates in this order to get the latest release of the IDE:
1.0.9 then 1.0.9.2
Latest Unreleased Exe update

Hope this helps you out CodemanV, and welcome to the community

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?
CodemanV
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 15:53
Thanks!

Didn't think of the different version thingy. No probs, I just wondered if I was doing something wrong.

I'm very impatient at the moment. With the bank holiday yesterday it means I have to wait ONE whole extra day for the postman to knock. C'mon Postman Pat, where's my stuff!? I can't wait to get all my ideas out using DBPro!

Also, I found more working tutorials here now, I think I was looking in the wrong place. One of TGC's is a wicked tutorial and working! It's on using ASCII files to make 3D Dungeon maps - awesome is an understatement!

Maybe in a few months time I will think it sucks and that MY version is much better!

But until that day comes, I am happy, so now I am off to roam a darkened ASCII converted to 3D dungeon now, thanks again!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 16:41 Edited at: 30th Aug 2005 16:48
I would add the following:

Upgrade 5.8 (Free) added a lot of new commands. These are not in the trial. LOCK LIMB is one of these.

The line that is indicated as having an error isn't necessarily the problem. Syntax error highlighting is generally out by a couple of lines. There are workarounds, but it's something to be aware of. The actual bug is usually before the highlighted line, very rarely after.

Hope you enjoy Dark Basic, you'll get plenty of help from the forum dwellers if you need it. There are a few people who program as the day job (myself included), I'm sure your past experience will be a help to some of the less-experienced members.

CodemanV
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 03:46
Quote: "Upgrade 5.8 (Free) added a lot of new commands. These are not in the trial. LOCK LIMB is one of these."

WHAT! MORE COMMANDS! - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo...........!

only kidding - looking forward to seeing what it has to offer

Quote: " The line that is indicated as having an error isn't necessarily the problem. Syntax error highlighting is generally out by a couple of lines. There are workarounds, but it's something to be aware of. The actual bug is usually before the highlighted line, very rarely after."

I've had that when I use VC++ and VB, usually when a nested loop or block conditional statement has a typo in it or something. I should type my own code out anyway. At least I know what is supposed to go where.

Quote: " Hope you enjoy Dark Basic, you'll get plenty of help from the forum dwellers if you need it. There are a few people who program as the day job (myself included), I'm sure your past experience will be a help to some of the less-experienced members."

I already am! "Yes, It's BASIC but not as we know it"

The more I experiment with DBPRo, the more it grows on me.

I keep thinking of when I was a kid on my Commodore Vic20 and programming BASIC programs out of a book or magazine.

It's nearly the same but now I have more than 5k of RAM, a load of new commands for 3D graphics to learn & play with and an Internet Server full of other DBPro users ready to help out or be helped out or even work on projects together.

When I become more competent with DBPro I will pass on as much help as I can ........ where's the Angel smiley?

That code was how to set the Vic20 text color into White and screen background into Black.

Weird how things from that long ago (25 years or so) just pop back into your head.

Thanks everyone for the advice and help! Much appreciated.
CodemanV
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 17:37
he he he - Postman Pat has delivered the goods

DBPro installed, updated and registered no problem.

As for the IDE updates I installed the first editor update into DBPro "Editor" folder and then unzipped & copied the b version over the editor.exe in same folder. DBPro runs so I think that went OK as well.

btw Jessica - you had a forum topic on importing C++ DLL's to open a file. I found that topic very helpful - I didn't realise DBPro could call external API functions.

I use 4 monitors so I had a problem with moving around in DBPro game and pressing mouse button. It would activate desktop when I tried to shoot or use someting. Also handy for windowed mode.

It uses those memblock techniques to import some user32.dll mouse and cursor functions to keep the mouse in the active DBPro window. I'll post the code soon - it needs cleaning up and commenting.

Thanks again Batvink and Jessica for installation and upgrade adivce.

I've just downloaded the U58 samples so it's time to have a good potch with DBPro now.

Let's just check - coffee, roll-up, pasties, new DBPro .......
if no-one hears from me for a while, you know why

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 03:27:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 03:27:32