Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Terrains and 'Space'

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,

I've had DBPro for a while but never had the time to do anything. I now have the time and planning a game but after reading some posts here I'd like a little advice pls.

The game I'm planning would take place both in space and on a planet surface.

For the 'On Planet' part I need a craggy, rough surface that a tracked land vehicle (the player) would drive upon. The terrain would be a 50 square mile scale and surrounded by mountains so to stop the player wandering too far. I had an idea this would be a mesh but from posts I've read I'm concerned this may be too slow. I'm planning a heavy fog so could I just create a small terrain 'patch' which dynamically changes as the player moves? (sort of the terrain moves under the player rather than the player moving on the terrain). Would a 3D object as some suggest be a better way, but reading other posts be a complicated programming experience having to perform your own collision etc? Or is there another way I've not mentioned?

As for the 'In Space' section of the game I need a 'local' flying part (eg in the vicinity of a planet and flying around asteriods, large ships, station etc while the planet bearly moves) and then 'warping' where the player would warp to another planet, the original planet whizzing away and the other coming into shot. Has anyone advice for this or any experience?

Many thanks in advance
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 16:46
Are you using Pro? If so, you could use Advanced terrain. The beauty of this is that it automatically hides parts of th eterrain that aren't in view, making it more efficient. You can combine tis with a Camera distance that cuts off where the fog becomes completely opaque.

orb505
Years of Service
User Offline
That looks very promising, thank you very much. I'm assmuing the the Cartography Shop program would be used for this or is there a better program?

Sorry about the noobie questions. I'm not new to programming in general but games programming and general graphics/art is a whole new world to me!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 03:26:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 03:26:18