Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / This is probably the stupidest question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 13:05
Can anyone explain me abot x,y and z axis.I would like to know in which direction they go?Picture would be nice.
Rikimaru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 13:39
Ok I have drawn up an example of X,Y and Z as a jpeg, I will attach it to this post, incase there is a problem with the attachment I will try to explain.

2D = X is the bottom of your monitor to the top
Y is the left of your monitor to the right
(As in a Graph) There is no Z in 2D.

3D = X is the rotation from left to right
Y is your height to and from the ground and the ceiling
Z is the distance you travel forward or backward

Hope I've explained it so you can understand and hope this helps, good luck RAM, and btw no question is a stupid question, if your not sure it's better to find out then be wrong.

Am going to try to link this image aswell, hope this works...

"Death is but an escape chosen by those who dare not live. I merely emancipate their souls." - Shadowblade, Master of Assassins.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 14:36
It all depends on your orientation to the world, but the default (positioned at 0,0,0 and rotated to 0,0,0) is:

X axis : -value = left, + value = right
Y axis : - value = down, + value = up
Z axis : -value = behind camera, + value = in front of camera

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 17:14
@Rikimaru

the 2d pic you made was wrong, actually Y is up and down the way and X is left and right
and for the 3d one, well you mentioned Z twice

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 17:27
The way I like to remember it is with a cool ganster like hand sign

position your left hand so your index finger is pointing directly up, your middle finger is down and pointing right and your thumb is pointing streight at you. Your thumb is the z axis, your index finger is the y azis and your middle finger is the x axis.

You can now move your hand in any direction one of your three fingers (okay, 2 fingers and one thumb >> are pointing and that is the direction of the axis. X moves left and right, Y up and down, z backwards and forwards.

Now try and do little rotations with your hand keeping at least ONE of the fingers in basically the same place. Doing that lets you see what happens if you rotate an object on one of those axis'

Dom
Years of Service
User Offline
Rikimaru I dont recommend you trying to give advice on a subject you don't know about

"A book. I hate books. book is stupid." -- Some lame idiot
Formerly Saberdude --DFStudios--
CodemanV
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 18:40
Hello, all posts are helpful so far and there is nothing wrong with any previous suggestions. Just thought I would add my couple of pennies.

btw - before anyone laughs - this is a proven and tested method for remembering info - there's even an annual world championship for Memory Experts who implement such sytems. I am not an expert but I am competent in using and developing such sytems. I use them all the time and they really do work.

My record for memorising a deck of cards is 42.37 secs using a slightly more complex but similar system

So here we go -

An Introduction to using Photgraphic Memory Techniques.
An alternative (odd) way to visualise X Y Z in your head.

X - could look like "A Cross" so it goes across (left and right)
Y - could look like someone standing with both arms in the air and doing a starjump. (up and down)
Z - could look like a zig-zag path which you walk back and forth on (front and behind)

You can use whatever images that you want, the images I used are just the ones I used.

So now make a silly image in your head for each one - with you on a cross, you doing starjumps, you zig-zagging down a path.

Imagine the cross bending over far left then far right, bending to beat of the chorus of "Always look on the bright side of life". It's from "Life of Brian" film by Monty Python.

Imagine your doing the starjumps on a trampoline and bouncing up and down into space. Also make your arms like Mr Tickle when you do the star-jumps.

Imagine running back and forth the zig-zag path in a frantic race against a giant tortoise and a giant hare.

As silly, stupid and bizarre as this post may read, it's for those 3 reasons that your brain will remember them. The more silly, stupid or bizarre the image, the more the brain will try to make it link to other stuff in your head that you already know.

Just make sure you amplify or exagerate the XYZ mental images and directional movement bits so they stand out. Your brain will do the rest of the work

When you have done this, when your are working on something and need to use XYZ, make the mental picture you linked to the relevant letter and your brain will playback the bizzare sequence you made with it. Something like that anyway.......

As I said earlier though, the previous posts explain XYZ, I just like remembering things this way - it's fun!
n3om0rph
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 19:04
Thanks for your help.Now I understand all those directions.
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 21:51
Quote: "This is probably the stupidest question"

No such thing as a Stupid Question. Only a Stupid answer Exists.

SSDD
Same Sh** Different Day
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 23:01
Quote: "No such thing as a Stupid Question."

Well there is, but this is not one of them.

Example. You go up to the tire place with a flat tire and the man says "Tire go flat?" Nope the other 3 just swelled right up on me.

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 04:44 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2005 04:45
Good point.... But there is no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to asking for help.

SSDD
Same Sh** Different Day
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 04:55
Wrong again!

Example "Can you help me with finding out what the insanely wierd word 'help' is?"
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 05:01
Technicaly they already know the answer so that will be downright stupid. (And yes.. I have contradicted myself. its 3 in the moring. i have an excuse )

SSDD
Same Sh** Different Day
Silent Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 05:53
Quote: "The way I like to remember it is with a cool ganster like hand sign "

i like that. maybe it could be a symbol among game developers
die foo!
word

Version--DB Classic

Login to post a reply