Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Track editor - do I have to be a guru?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Everyone.

I am wanting to make a simple driving game, and have a map editor so people can make there own tracks. I have seen two games that do this, so I know it can be done, but I am wondering how. Is there any guides for this on the net? Does anyone have any examples I could follow? Would making a track editor be a stupidly hard task (I was using 3d game studio before, and after getting all the driving model down pat I went to make the level editor...only to be told it cant be done!!)
Since at the moment I am just trying to get my head around the theory of how this would be done, any help will be appreciated.
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2003 23:10
You can use a tile system.

You make a grid on paper, then assign numbers to them like in a game of battleship.

You initialise an array
Dim Grid(xTiles,zTiles)
xTiles being the amount of tiles across, zTiles being the depth of the track.
Then lets say you have some pre-made track parts which to put on each tile, you assign each one to a number, i.e straight road to one, corner right to two.
So in tile 1,1, which is the top left tile, you want to put a piece of straight road. You use Grid(0,0)=1
if you want to put a corner in tile 4,7, you use Grid(3,6)=2 and so on.

Whatever I did I didn't do it!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 17:56:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 17:56:19