Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / RPG Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 22:42
I am Currently making an RPG. It is a fantasy game with random turn based battles. I have been making this game for several weeks and I feel it is time to ask if anyone is interested in working on this game with me. The Game is programmed in Dark Basic Classic. I am not the most experienced programmer around by far but i am willing to work at this an to but in maximium effort. I am not looking for people who are necessarily very experienced but people of a similar standard as me and willing to work.

I have not currently got a name or storyline for the game because i am not a writer and i am not very good at thinking of ideas. I don't want to write a storyline which would be boring and cheesey i also think it is better to name the game after the game is finished.

At to moment i think it is important to complete the game engine before adding a story line. Yet i am currently doing the dev doc's
and will continue to do so as the game progresses.

Here are some pictures of my game which are in a .doc file. They aren't the most graphically impressive screenshots as i am a poor modeller and can not texture to save my life. So there are lots of placeholders in my screenshots.

http://files.filefront.com/RPG_game_picturesdoc/;4090391;;/fileinfo.html

Here are the parts of the game which have been programmed and the parts which haven't.

If you think you are interested in helping in this project please email meJozers@hotmail.co.uk or post with details of yourself and any previous work you have done these are the sort of things that would help.

Another Programmer
Modellers (one of two to start with)
Writer(for the storyline)
2D artist(s) (texturing and HUD's etc)
conscept artist
Composer(music)
Animator

If anyone does any of the above and is interested in this project please get in contact.
Cheers
Jozers

BTW C&C on screenshots would be nice

Life is like a box of chocolates...
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 00:31 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2005 08:00
I can do the storyline if you want. I'm very good at that kind of thing, as I'm a cartoonist, think up stories in my spare time, and any game I do or plan out has a pretty good story line. I can also do exelent sketches, and could design a world map if you want, as well as make consept sketches to help modelers.

I don't have any time right now to post any of my work, but I can later when I do have time if you're interested, which is after the weekend.

Edit: You can look here for an example http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=53731&b=8&p=3, but this game really doesn't have one of my more detailed story lines in it (the best part of the version I entered into the compo was the stroy, but I forgot to make it skipable for people who were playing a second time). Most stories I do are very very detailed, and I leave nothing out (so things like the monsters and bad guys and the general progression of the game I would also think up). Somewhere in that thread there are two sketches I did, which should give you an idea of my drawing capabities, given I did them each in about an hour (the more detailed one took around two).

Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 10:45
Bizar Guy,
That would be great. And if you could do some conscept art too that would also be brilliant, I can also do a bit of artwork but i'm not that good.
got to go sorry
Jozers

p.s your game looks good

Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 21:27
Just wondering if anyone else would also like to help. I'm still looking for a programmer, modellers, 2D artists, a composer, and an animator. Anyone is welcome to join but i would like to see any previous just out of interest (and to see that you have had experience in game development).

BTW Bizer Guy do you have an email address in case i need to contact you.

Cheers
Jozers

Fneep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2005 05:44
I might like to help you program but I have a couple of questions about your game.

1. Is it in DBC or DBP, if it is in DBC, great, Ive been using DBC for a while, but if it is in DBP, thats not so great. I ordered DBP not long ago and it'll take a while for delivery. I live in Australia.

2. What would you want the programmer to work on? I have done awesome battle systems (If I say so myself) and I am pretty good at manipulating 3D objects, moving them, am okay at matrices, but I suck at particles for instance.

3. Would you be doing any programming? Would you and the other programmers be working together on the code or would it be the other programmer on his/her own?

Thanx.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2005 06:04 Edited at: 4th Sep 2005 06:05
bprager AT compup DOT com

Before I do anything then, I'll need a few guide lines... (if you would prefer I deside on any one point, just say so)

-About where do you want the technology level in the game to be?
-Is there magic?
-should I come up with the name once I finish the story?
-How dark or kiddyish should the game be?
-Is the game funny or serious?
-How many people will your party have, and how many should you start with?
-How many towns do you want, or does the game take place in one big area?
-What game should the style closest resemble?

If there's anything you want that I haven't spesified on, I'll make sure to include it.

once again, if you would prefer I deside on any one point, just say so, and if you want to leave the whole thing up to me, that's fine as well.

Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2005 14:42
@Lord Darksbane: that would be great if you could help

1. Yes, it is in Dark Basic Classic
2. If you click on the code snippet in the first post there is a list of what is and isn't done(if you what to redo the battle system thats cool)
3. Yes, i will be programming, we would be working together on the code.

@Bizar Guy

-Technology level?
-Yes, there is magic
-I think it is better if you think of a name after you have written the story line but its up to you.
-I think it should be quite dark. What do you think??
-Well if its dark, it should be serious maybe a small bit of humour.
-I was thinking three people to a party maximum, It should probably start with one person because it makes learning the game controls easier.
-There will probably several towns. But first i think we need to just get a basic town and a few areas sorted out then we can slowely get bigger.
-It has a final fantasy style battle sytem with random battles at the moment. So it kind of resembles the Final Fantasy series. But i don't mind you being creative.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2005 17:09
I'll do some music for you. Let me know what style you want and I'll make a sample for you.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2005 18:20 Edited at: 4th Sep 2005 18:25
Thanks Andrew,
The Game is serious and quite dark if that helps and has a fantasy theme. I'm no good at making media so i don't really know what to ask for. Just as long as it fits for example battle music would be quite exiting and more upbeat than music for a scene where someone dies. You could start by doing the menu music if you like. I'm not sure if you want to see the storyline first or something.
Cheers
Jozers

BTW
still looking for modellers,texturers and animators

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2005 18:42
Just so you know, technology level questions are normally asking how advanced your society is in terms of making stuff.

Stone age?
Bronze age?
Farming with tools?
Gunpowder?

That kind of thing.
Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2005 18:54
Ah ok,
I think there should at least be a bit of gunpowder, swords and bows but no cars, trains, planes etc. I think maybe medieval period but with fantasy stuff like magic, dragons and monsters.
Hope that helps
Jozers

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2005 20:18
Do you have a menu for me to see so as I can decide what music to ake for it? If not do you want me to make you one? If so then let me know what options you need.

Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2005 20:42
This is what it looks like a the moment. But it is going to be changed(well i think it should be).If you what to make a menu page that would be good but we would probably need a game logo. And for that we would need a name which Bizar Guy is going to think because he is doing the story line.But, the options i think we would need are, New Game, Load Game, Controls,Credits,Quit.
Thanks for the offer
Jozers

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 02:47
Jozers: Okay, I'll use those spesifications to make it. How does six to eight towns sound?

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 12:29
Is the background of that menu animated? If so that is pretty cool but it needs some graphics for the options. I'll give one a shot and post it here.

Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 18:39
@bizar guy: six to eight sould cool

@andrew neale: no its no animated. Just wondering are you redoing the whole menu screen if you are that cool.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 18:45
I'll get something together, time permitted now I am back to college and have my RPG to work on, and I'll show it here. Yes it will be the whole menu.

Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 19:14
Ok cool andrew. Take your time, if you have other commitments don't worry i can wait. Can't wait to see the new menu
Jozers

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 19:22
Quote: "...don't worry i can wait. Can't wait..."

Sorry - just found that amusing Good luck on the game, guys.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 17:37
Yeah that was a good self contradiction. That is me using big smart words now I am in college! Well first day wasn't too bad but I am going to have so much work to do. I am taking Chemistry and Computing for one year and Maths, Physics and ICT for two years. Damn! What did I let myself in for! I'll still try too get the menu done though.

Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 21:43
No real updates recently back to school so i might be a little busy for a few weeks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 08:29:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 08:29:42