Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / AGE MORPG framework

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 05:35 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2005 05:36
Yo!

Seeing as I'm making a little framework for everybodies most talked about genre, I thought "hey, why not share its production with the world, or, you know, a forum...". And so I am via sweet postage, and of course, Multisync!

Basically, I'll be taking the multiplayer framework which is currently available to all from the AGE page of my site, and adding a load of RPG elements to it. And by the end of the eon, it'll be there for you all to fiddle with. Nowz0rz, I know how you all love your eye candy, so hear's a random shot of something doing something:

Nearly hot huh. What it really needs is some new prefabs, so if anyone feels like compiling a small prefab pack, or hey, even a map(via AGE), then please do. Otherwise, I'll end up doing it and it'll look less hot than an ice cube.
And remember, this'll be free, so don't moan about how overly hyped and dream based morpg production is for a few minutes and contribute! Imho, if you're skilled enough to moan about something then atleast make it better, because nothing's stopping you from doing so, really. I'll upload teh not-so-finished codez in teh next post which will be after teh somebody else posts because I hate teh double posting, passionately.

Later chaps!

You are not alone.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ace Of Spades
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 13:24
your my hero.

"Dark Basic rocks! Although the things you can do are not as dynamic as C++, just think how long it would take to do the same thing! I can get FPS of over 60!"
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 18:52
Nice!

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 22:34 Edited at: 10th Sep 2005 11:12
Thanks andrew neale and TheIndy. Your comments are confusing.

As promised, here is the latest code. It's not too different from the multiplayer framework. I've just added a kind of gravity thingie, and started working on the new controls. Very little work infact, but the results work splendidly, so who cares.
Update available further on.

You are not alone.

Attachments

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2005 17:21
Quote: "Your comments are confusing."

We used 3 single syllable words and one 2 syllable word all of which with 4 or less letters. I can see how that would be confusing. I'll try and use smaller words this time.
I-'-l-l t-a-k-e a l-o-o-k a-t t-h-a-t d-o-w-n-l-o-a-d a-n-d m-a-k-e c-o-m-m-e-n-t-s l-a-t-e-r.
Damn it! That is way more confusing!

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2005 21:00
Beware, you're in for a scare. Muhahahahahahaha!

No word of a lie, the source is pretty messy right now. You just wait a few days and you'll be like "woah it makes sense now because Aura's stuck everything into little easy to edit functions and it's all just so beautiful!". Now it's more like "...Is that a goto?". It'll be lovely.

PS, using goto's was only a bad thing about 20 years ago, when languages weren't as clever as they are now. However, I know how you're all so freaking stubborn so there isn't any in there any more. Happy?!

You are not alone.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 12:23 Edited at: 5th Sep 2005 12:24
I never had a problem with 'goto's but everyone else did and I don't see what is wrong with them. If you want to go to another peice of code without returning then they seem obvious.
I can't wait for the nice functiony version!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 12:23 Edited at: 5th Sep 2005 12:24
Sorry it double posted for some reason.

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 21:47
You hit the nail on the head there andrew.

So anyway, I'm afraid I've been a tad busy as of late, but somehow, I've managed to squeeze in some coding time here and there. Last night, I added stats to the server and the client. I have yet to add the bit that sends the client the stats from the server, but it's all looking good so far. For the server, I'm changing lots of things, so that I can edit pretty much anything that matters via the config.ini file. Cool huh. I'll do some more work on it tonight.

You are not alone.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 17:39
By saying
Quote: "Sorry it double posted for some reason."
?
Lol! I guess you meant the goto statements!
Yeah it does sound cool. Realms Of Tutopia Online looking promising!

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2005 09:52
i love you aura. and i made a few sketches that look like turds but resemble old school buildings. and i came up witha few ideas about gameplay but sorta slept on it and realized it was like dungeon seige, so im gonan rework the idea!

i did say i love you right?

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2005 12:53 Edited at: 9th Sep 2005 13:05
Haha, yes you did.

For those who don't know what Mr. Wigget is talking about, which is probably all of you as I don't recall telling anyone, he has joined me in making the framework and template. He'll be giving designs and models eventually too. Woo.

Cheers Wigget, and all of my other lovers.

Oh and here is teh latest codez.

You are not alone.

Attachments

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2005 21:18
Downloading. I haven't seen Wigget for a while now so I'm glad to see him back working on something so promising. Before you say anything it is probably just me being blind so if Wigget has been here the whole time then sorry.
Wow! I messed up this post!

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2005 04:03
Totally!

Hope you like teh codez.

You are not alone.
TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2005 16:07
i got a an error....*sigh* ....could not determine parameter of "net join (addy$)" at line 425....

“A lot of people approach risk as if it’s the enemy when it’s really fortune’s accomplice” - Sting“
.......S-S-D-D.......
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2005 17:08
I hope you have Multisync in your plugins folder!

You are not alone.
TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 00:45
ok, we had fixed that, now we have dbpro acting up on my comp, here is the code it has a problem with....

and here is the error message....

This only happens on my comp, and not auras, we must havespent at leats 45min this morning trying to fix it, but to no success. Do any of you have any ideas on what is the matter with this?

“A lot of people approach risk as if it’s the enemy when it’s really fortune’s accomplice” - Sting“
.......S-S-D-D.......
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 05:56
Quote: "I hope you have Multisync in your plugins folder"

TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 15:17
yes cattle rustler, i do....

.......S-S-D-D.......
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2005 08:47
and another thing guys, make sure you have a 3d graphics card, that also helps :/

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2005 09:33 Edited at: 12th Sep 2005 09:33
Haha, yeah, good call.

Oh, we totally fixed the problem TDP was having btw. File roots!

You are not alone.
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2005 15:57
The new codes.

Added a chat thing, press t to activate and return to send/deactivate.
Changed the way that stats are handled by the server. Before I would read the file for the different types of stats that were set as defaults. Now I just copy the contents of the "default stats.ini" file into the players stats file. This allows for faster creation of that stat file and for new stats to be added to the server without having to code anything, just add them to the stat file.
Changed the polygonial collision function to one made by someone else, as mine was admitedly crap, and I don't have time to make a new one or add one of my old ones. My thanks to the Last Programmer. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=60567&b=6

Now remember, you need Multisync and prefab pack 1(from my site(thanks jimmy!)) in order to try this out.

BYE!!1

You are not alone.

Attachments

optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2005 18:02
wow - yes im back, aura

i love it. I did do a stats function and collision frame myslef but this is much sharper - cheers (ill have you know LoA is looking even better - check out my wip thread soon)

playtime

**** server is up and running FROM 19.00 GMT ON 23 AUGUST 05 ****
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 07:45
Yay! Welcome back optical r! I totally missed my current #1 age user. I've changed pretty much everything, sorry about that. I think it's worth it though. Will keep a close eye on that thread of yours.

You are not alone.
optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 15:49 Edited at: 14th Sep 2005 15:50
thanks

Ive made my game modular and so ive slotted everything in around around the updated server and framework - its getting better Aura!!

I love the collision - so smooth, ohh the stats and thats - ill hyave to get round to uploading some screenies. Oh, only one 'bug' i found:

Because of the collision, when the client begins on top of, say, a platform yuou stay there (obviously). Howvever, when you logout (server records player position, stats etc) and login again the client falls just short of the platform to collide on, thus sinks.

Ive managed to rectify the problem with solution, if you ewant to make it a global modification:

In the server code, in main.dba, locate the part where the ClientPlayer data is saved into position.pos (EDIT: wjere the player leaves the game) and do this

just before the position.pos file is opened for writing (500 units seems to be optimumal, though you do appear to 'float' down the next time you login - but i bet you coudl disguise it somehow )

You may have discovered this yourslef but i don't mind helping you since i feel honoured to be you #1 user!

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 15:56
I totally didn't notice that! Thanks a lot fot the fix. I'm going to check it out now. Ideally, I want the client to not have this problem, as I recall having it before, but the new collision system has since been implemented. If that makes any sense. I want to try and fix the problem client side anyway.

You are not alone.
optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 16:04
ok, it could work easily for the client for the fix, ill do this too

optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 16:08 Edited at: 14th Sep 2005 16:09
oh, is Wiggett still working on the framework etc cuz i couold contribute a lot of medieval models

sry for double post

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 16:15 Edited at: 14th Sep 2005 16:18
I'm not experiencing this problem, but it still needs to be fixed. The framework needs to work on every PC.

I've replaced what used to be:

with:

Apart from rearanging what's done first, making the delta system a tad more correct, I've also added Move_Col_Object(ClientPlayer, 0), as this will run collision before any gravity takes place. What I really need to do, is have the gravity variable change realisticly, so if you're not touching something then it increases, and if you are then it resets. That will make this even more secure. Maybe I'll add that now!

Just read your second post.
Wigget won't be able to contribute any media for another four weeks, but even so, new media is ALWAYS welcome! If you could submit some models then that would totally rock.

You are not alone.
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 18:18 Edited at: 14th Sep 2005 18:20
Finally downloaded and gave it a go.

EDIT: ok nvm it works. Erm how do I set a grid? I'll jsut go mess with it...

The future is here, and I can't afford it.
optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 18:30 Edited at: 14th Sep 2005 18:31
@megaton - tip: when you do run the server with the client and happen to see nothin but a whitish colour - go into the client code and into 'controls.dba' and position the camera, say -200 from object position z(clientplayer) or so - the white on your screen is actually you as a cube (player)

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 18:34 Edited at: 14th Sep 2005 18:35
Well, it's filled with bugs and confusion, but I've managed to get something loaded. Barly.

See it seems to load normally like this. Abit too dark, but when I selected it, it became slightly brighter (Make an option allowing us to change lightmap gamma)

Attachments

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 18:35 Edited at: 14th Sep 2005 18:36
But when I move the camera abit to the side or futher...

Attachments

optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 18:43
yegh it seems to rencder like this in the editor, but in the framework just looks 'normal' - dang i wish i could model like you

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 19:36 Edited at: 14th Sep 2005 19:51
Hey that's a hot level there Megaton. Now, tell me exactly what is going wrong, and I'll add/change it. The "_lm" code came directly from you remember!

Also, about it being too dark, remember you can change the ambience in the "config.ini" file. 100 works perfectly for lightmaps iirc.

And, the overlapping polygons problem could be a result of the super high camera range. That can be set from View>Camera Settings.

Think you meant to post this in the main AGE thread too. Oh well.

You are not alone.
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 22:34
Oh there's a main AGE thread? I'm sorry \

The model is already 100 ambient and still dark (I think).

I'll try chaning camera range, thanks.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2005 08:13
Oi aura you sexay half man half woman entity thing you, I get access to a recording studio tomorrow so I'm gonna be makign a few sample musics stuff. Gotta do background jingle for my work video and i'll do a gotrh metal theme thing for that vampire rpg, and I will put together some sort of classical guitar theme for a fantasy world, maybe orchestral stuff too depending on their keyboards. will get back to ya soon with more info when i get something to send

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2005 16:37 Edited at: 26th Sep 2005 16:38
Woohoo! You da Wigget!

On another note, I'm currently adding a loading based thing to all of the age frameworks. I've just added a HUGE file scanner for HUGE worlds, and am now working on LoD/BB, aswell as intergrating that file thing into the main editor, with a few more object settings.

You are not alone.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2005 04:39
hey heads up, stupid musical thing doesn't tak emy guitars i have to get some sort of wierd mix of midi/guitar plug and even then i doubt it will work. So i couldn tmake anything too great on their dodgey synthesizers, btu we will be coming back so hopefully i can make a nice thing when i do.

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2005 15:43
Alrighty then!

You are not alone.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2005 16:03
Woohoo! New page!
Looking really nice indeed! I'm definately going to use this if I make an online version of Tutopia.

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2005 17:30
Thanks andrew. I'd love to see an online Tutopia.

I'm doing a lot of work on the actual editor now. New object settings, and I'm thinking about getting objects to store entity like data too. Would allow for more to be defined from within the editor, and less in the framework.

You are not alone.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 08:27:46
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 08:27:46