Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Making Terrains

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 13:54
I am not sure if it would be better to make a terrain rather then a matrix. The only thing in not sure about is can i make the terrain loop as in the matrix you can shift matrix so you never get the the edge.

I have no idea how to make a terrain as I cannot find any tutorials. Can anyone help plz?

http://www.Bevansfunbox.com
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 14:28
I think the tank tutorial uses shifting matrix...

Immunity and Annihalation makes Immunihalation...
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2005 20:34
Because of the corners, to cover everything, you sometimes need 4 matrices on the screen at one time. That takes a lot of resources. Four terrains would be even slower. Object landscapes may be better.

Awfuldark Forest
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 23:24
Quote: " Because of the corners, to cover everything, you sometimes need 4 matrices on the screen at one time. "

The key word here is sometimes.

You only need a single matrix to do 8-way scrolling matrices. The trick is to keep the player's character always at X=0 Z=0 and move the matrix in small increments until it reached a tile border - at which point, you set the increment back to zero and shift the matrix.

Using this method, you only need a single matrix and there's no noticable slowdown at all.

TDK_Man

Ad87am
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 01:20
Um, all i want it to do is make it go foward, i dont want the left, right and back to scroll.

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 03:29 Edited at: 6th Sep 2005 03:29
That's exactly what my scrolling matrix snippet does.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=58893&b=7

TDK_Man

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2005 00:24
I'm personally a fan of fogging out when you get near an edge of the matrix or terrain an putting you on the other side of the matrix or terrain once you pass the border.

To do this you need a variable to check when you are a certain distance away from the edge. Then as you get closer to any edge set the fog distance down more and more. It will take a little thinking and probably writing some ideas on paper but if you keep trying im sure you'll get it.

Recommended commands:
Fog on
Fog off
Fog Distance
Fog color(optional)
position object/camera (depending on 3rd or 1st person view)

Formerly known as SFLM.
Ad87am
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2005 01:52
Yes i am going to use the fog technique, i also need to make it so it spawns random enemies before you see it so that u just see them apear out of the fog.

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I am not sure if it would be better to make a terrain rather then a matrix. The only thing in not sure about is can i make the terrain loop as in the matrix you can shift matrix so you never get the the edge.

I have no idea how to make a terrain as I cannot find any tutorials. Can anyone help plz?
"

There is somewhere on these forums maybe the 3d section where someone used a heightmap really big one too or atleast he made it big it was really nice. This might work for you.

When we talk to god, we're praying. When god talks to us, we're schizophrenic.
Fortune never calls on those that have no balls.
MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
i'm just speculating here but couldnt you do something like

look, a signature!
made you look---------dancing penguins rule... you dont
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2005 01:59
Nice bump. Thats more than 3 months

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2005 06:52
Yes, and a code snippet that neither works, nor has anything to do with the poster's original question lol!

TDK_Man

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 11:28:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 11:28:15