Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Model animation question:

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2003 21:01
Say, I have a model of a spaceship and I want to add retracting gear animation, also the ship has a radar dish which has to be rotating, how can this be done in DBPro?
Do I need to make a bonestructure in the model for the gear and animate it in, for example, CharFX?
Also what should I do with the rotating dish?

FYI the model has been created in Milkshape.
Thanks.
Yskonyn -
"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."
madcaddy
Years of Service
User Offline
dont know if its the best way, but for my models - animating them in milkshape then exporting as .x works a treat.
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2003 00:32
I use Milkshape and then CharacterFX.

Export your model out of Miklshape as a Milkshape ASCII txt file... then import into chFX

You can have the gear + sat dish as separate object if ya like ? then make your bone structure but place joints at the very edges of the parts you want to move... so you won't deform stuff you don't want to move.

Make sure you only assign the verts you want to associate with those part of your model, and then amimate.

Use CharacterFX DirectX exporter and make sure you un-tick LOOP ANIMATION ...... and thats it !!

Or you could use MAX and set up a limb hierarchy and pivot points, then do it that way.

E-mail me if you need any tutorials on how to used CharacterFX for setup and animation.

Simple

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 TV out - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom
SasukiShinozawa
Years of Service
User Offline
I use the .x exporter for MilkShape3D. Works like a charm.

Tanto? Iie. Kore wa tachi desu.
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2003 22:11
OK Simple I really could use some nice anim tuts for CharFX, I will mail you shortly.
But do I understand correctly from this thread that you can actually animate within MS itself??

Yskonyn -
"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2003 22:20
Also I have an issue regarding texturing of the models using Lithunwrap.
Say I have a model of an Artillery Cannon. This cannon consists of quite some parts. How can you texture such an object?? All the faces I want to texture are presented as tiny bits in Lithunwrap!

Yskonyn -
cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2003 22:21
Yeah, you can animate in Milkshape.

Current project: Earth Chaos, a FPRTS
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2003 22:39
Go through these tutorials by PSI ...... they will show you everything from modeling in milkshape to stting up and animating with CharacterFX.

http://xu1productions.com/3dstudio/tutorials.html

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 TV out - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2003 22:40
But if you send me an e-mail....... I can send them to you in .chm format.. so you don't have to be online all the time to use them

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2003 02:19
Yskonyn ... i'd find something called Unwrapper (not Lithunwrap) as it works in a similar way to ChilliSkinner which allows you to setup your own mesh deformation areas

so say you have a box, rather than it just trying to unwrap everything of the box and then having to patch it all together you simply burst the box into the sides put 4 together and then weld the edges... et voila unfolds like a dice which is far easier to work with (^_^)

could even use ChilliSkinner itself if you grab a copy of Gmax 1.2 and ChilliSkinner for Max 4 you can import as 3DS, then export as MD3 and reimport into milkshape to animate

one of the easiest and most flexible ways to map i've used in years (^_^) - well apart from Maya's/trueSpace's Tucow Mapper

as for the animation just make it in Milkshape as its better that way ... for professional combine all of your model into a single mesh/group and just animate normally.
for Standard/Enhanced then cut the model into sections and use the joints as if they're Axis points for rotation and assign each one to a single mesh/group then animate

export both using JT DirectX 8.1 Exporter

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2003 17:37
Ah, so Unwrapper is easier to use, right. Will see if I can find it. Thanks!

Simple, could you send me the model tut of the zombie also?
Thanks in advance

Yskonyn -
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2003 17:45
I tried to search the net, but Raven do you have an URL for Unwrapper?

Yskonyn -
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2003 21:34
lol... yeah i have it here somewhere - but gimme sometime, i've not sorted out my favourites folders in many many moons

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2003 21:54
Zombie tut sent !!

Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2003 19:25
Thanks guys for your help!

Yskonyn -

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 17:33:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 17:33:29