Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Coders Turf -- Indie Developers Rejoice! ;)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 17:42 Edited at: 16th Oct 2005 12:49
Copyright Notice: The Coders Turf website, name and the entirety of it's content including all software, services and the various ideas are Copyrighted to Joshua Cole.

Development Diary:

---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
New Development Page: http://www.stuffitall.com/codersturf/development/index.php
---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------

Original Topic: IDEAS: Amateur Game Developers, who is going to help them?

LLRGT Topic: Coders Turf -- Indie Developers Rejoice!

Date: Sunday 4th September 2005... Days Coding: 2 (A few hours a day.)

Although I had been thinking about this project for a while I only started it on the 3rd of September, in two days I haven't made lightning progress but I have made a start on this mammoth project. The first thing I am going to do is to get the infrastructure in place, nothing graphical will be done until the website works perfectly.

At that point I will have to call in the calvary to do the arty side of things. Tomorrow I'm going back to school so I'm not sure how much free time I will have for working on this I'll have to wait and see but at least I only have half a year this time round.

In the future there will be threads detailing jobs which I will need to be done both here and over at TGC, after the previous disaster of a community project things will have to work a little differently to get this even remotely close to the finish line.

As I said earlier, these screenshot will not be particularly pretty for a while so don't expect much eye candy, yet. The development site should not be too hard to find but be warned it does not work in Internet Explorer, that's my last priority.

Just to let you know, I'll be looking around for admins and mods in the near future depending on how people act online and how enthusiastic they are about this project. So if you see a person looking in your window at you, it's me! j/k

So any comments, suggestions, offers of help?

Josh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 17:50 Edited at: 6th Sep 2005 17:50
Development Diary:

Date: Sunday 5th September 2005... Days Coding: 3 (A few hours a day.)

Just a quick update, I've added descriptions of a few of the services Coders Turf will be offering.

Here are the screenshots:

Any more comments from people? I'd like to know people's thoughts and ideas...

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 18:21
Well, i'm glad to hear you are ignoring the eye candy until you get the functionality of the website finished

looks like an interesting idea, and depending on when you need the help i might be able to help with the artsy side of things...

"We make the worst games in the universe."

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 19:14
I agree, it's a refreshing change to see a project start with the inner workings, and leave the bells and whistles til later. Hope it goes well.

soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 21:08
Indeed, looks like it could be a big help to a lot of people. Good luck.

*tries to think of witty and original signature*
*fails*
NanoBrain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2005 12:32
Josh,

I like the idea and the progress so far. Though I have not looked at all the screenshots to see what is going to be included in the sight, I have come upon one thing I am unsure about with its doings. Under Paid Coding Support, should it be mandatory that one insert your sight into their game credits? If he is having to pay for the support, why should he also credit someone for the work.

However, I am also in the mind that it makes sense for one to credit you also. That, how else, other than any misc. ways, would people find out about your sight?

This being brought to awareness, what is your new view on it? The same as before or different? Just a curious question, in thought that it might be a simple critical issue.

+NanoBrain+
Josh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2005 17:48
@ NanoBrain:

My view is still the same. The prices charged will be small enough to justify the site being put into the game credits and this site can't help people if they don't know it exists. Plus who reads all the credits anyway?

Josh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2005 23:24 Edited at: 9th Sep 2005 23:25
Development Diary:

Date: Sunday 9th September 2005... Days Coding: 5 (A few hours a day.)

I've added a few more descriptions, added a few more items to the menu and uploaded a logo created by Draco9898. That's about all I have done on the surface.

Behind the scenes though I have been creating some online bug management software which will work with the BETA testing room allowing Coders Turf members to be invited into the BETA of a project to help test it out. Bug Swatter as it has come to be known can also be integrated into user's website to expand and control the people testing out the games. Admins of the BETA's will be able to setup tester member groups and choose what they are allowed to do. More on Bug Swatter later.

Here are some more screenshots:

soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2005 23:35
Looking good

*tries to think of witty and original signature*
*fails*
Josh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2005 23:19 Edited at: 17th Sep 2005 23:20
Development Diary:

Date: Saturday 17th September 2005... Days Coding: 7 (A few hours a day.)

Over the last 2 days I have coded for maybe 3 or 4 hours and this is what I have got done.

I now have in place a powerful profile system to organise users and forum activity. If the site was live users would be able to register and login and access various members only pages. I have also started laying out the Members Area page will become the central hub for CT members.

In their Members Areas users will be able to organise the services they have purchased from CT and provide input to benefit the site.

A credits system is in the planning stages which will allow users to get discounts off of CT's software and services. Users can earn credits by helping out the site, forum mods for example will be paid monthly for their work and all users will have the chance to submit reviews about games, software and other users. This will be limited to a maximum of 3 per day and mod approval to stop spamming.

That’s all for now.

Here are some more screenshots:

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2005 00:25
I like that nav bar!

You really know what you're doing. Good progress.

The future is here, and I can't afford it.
Josh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2005 14:45
Err.. I didn't code the nav bar.

Its a menu from www.milonic.com, TGC website uses Milonic too.

Still got a very, very long way to go...

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2005 17:00
Oh...

Well kudos anyway.

Josh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2005 18:54
lol.

Would you be interested in doing part of the website theme? The budget for this project is at £0.09 at the moment so I won't be able to pay you straight away...

Evil stick
Years of Service
User Offline
I would love to help in any way I can.
Narf The Mouse
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Copyright Notice: The Coders Turf website, name and the entirety of it's content including all software, services and the various ideas are Copyrighted to Joshua Cole."

..Is legally rather iffy if you're going to accept submitted content...

Cheese!

Expert Bug-Finder, Horrible at Identifying Them.
Josh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2005 00:28
Quote: "I would love to help in any way I can."

Thanks, what would you like to help with. You can name anything really it all needs doing.

Quote: "..Is legally rather iffy if you're going to accept submitted content..."

There is no user-submitted content atm so the content on the site is mine so far.

It'll change when the site goes live.

Evil stick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2005 01:37 Edited at: 21st Sep 2005 01:39
I can help with google ads. That's not much though, but I can do some sorta web design, just not PHP or advanced HTML, but I have Frontpage. Oh, and I have access and expierience in PHPBB forums.
Jonny Ree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2005 03:16
Just writing a useless post to state my support.

Keep at it

Josh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2005 11:01
Quote: "I can help with google ads. That's not much though, but I can do some sorta web design, just not PHP or advanced HTML, but I have Frontpage. Oh, and I have access and expierience in PHPBB forums."

Ok, I'll keep you in mind, the forums will be custom made but if you want to be a MOD I'll try and base them around phpBB if you want.

I'll post a list of jobs which need doing when I get to the point where I need more than just my skills to finish the site.

Quote: "Just writing a useless post to state my support.

Keep at it"

Thanks for the support.

Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 07:21
this looks good Josh ..

IS this teh thing you where telling me about ??

2 + 2 = 5 (for extreamly large values of 2)
Josh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 18:00 Edited at: 13th Oct 2005 18:06
Yeah this is what I was talking about in my email.

My IT teacher was impressed with just a small part of this, lol, I wonder what he would say if he say the whole lot.

I should warn you some of the screenshots are out of date, especially the ones which include prices.

Undercover Steve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2005 05:01
I like it. I wish I could help, but I cant//
Josh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 00:56 Edited at: 16th Oct 2005 00:58
New Development Page: http://www.stuffitall.com/codersturf/development/index.php

This page contains details about the project's status, jobs that need to be done, a project timeline and how to contact me.

@ Jr noober:

There might be something you can do. Ideas are always welcome for a start and there will be many people needed to run the web site; administration, coders, designers, support team, moderators, etc.

Undercover Steve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 01:43
Neh, I mean I know PHP, MySQL postgre, ect. But I just dont have the free time or else I would diffenetly help
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 03:51
Quote: "Would you be interested in doing part of the website theme? The budget for this project is at £0.09 at the moment so I won't be able to pay you straight away..."

Oops sorry didn't check up on this in a while.

I might give it a shot. What kinda stuff do you want done?

Josh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 11:11 Edited at: 16th Oct 2005 11:12
@ Megaton Cat:

The first thing to get done theme wise would be a simple, light and easy on the eyes site design much like this one you produced:

http://seikensteel.com/megaton/multisync/index.htm

Of course the themes can wait until the majority of the site is finished so that any major changes to the layout do not muck-up the themes.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 10:27:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 10:27:54