Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Dark Basic vs 3DGS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I couldn't find a search button on the forums as I would have preferred to do a search first.

I was in the store yesterday looking at games and saw "Dark Basic" on the shelf. I knew about it as I've heard it mentioned on 3DGameStudio and 3DRad forums, but heard it was less powerful than the 3DGS and 3DRad.

Don't get me wrong, I love 3DGS and have been with it a long time. However, I've struggled with getting my textures to not come out pixelated when the player gets close to them - even their demos do. The game graphics look great from a distance, but I want the player to be able to stand by the airlock switch with gun in hand and have everything look clear. I'd like him to be able to approach a map of the facility or various signs and be able to read them. How about the clarity of textures in the ground at your feet? Believe me, I've fought with texture manipulation to try and get things to come out better/clearer (non-pixelated) in my levels. I've searched all through the 3DGS forums and tried whatever I could find.
I looked at the demos that came with the Dark Basic game, but it was hard to tell in the ice demo (fps) and was pretty impressed with the waves in the jet ski demo.

I would like to put out a great game that compete with the graphics that are coming out on games like "Max Payne" or "The Thing". I put a lot of time into my games - I go to my job and come home, do chores and work until 2am on my game(I dedicate about 5-6 hours a night on it).

If Dark Basic can give me what I want graphics-wise and it looks like it can deliver some nice other effects for a fps, then I'll switch engines and get Dark Basic Pro.

Is everyone getting good close up graphics with this engine?
Advantages over 3DGS? (3DGS doesn't allow mirroring - does DB?)

Thank you.
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey RFParker,

Once again, 3DGS was made on Dark basic. I am not quite sure if it was DBC or DBPro, but you gett the point. Of course you will have trouble getting your game recoded, but then you have everything at your finger tips.

I know what you mean by cooll looking graphics, and quite sure it's possible. If you got that extra buck to spend, do it. It's worth it.

Now if somone can help you with that close looking gaphics question.

My only suggestion: Tile textures or high res textures. I am not sure, because I never went for that percise look.

Cheers.

Specs: Dual Amd Athlon 2Ghz(1Ghz x 2), 40GB 15000 Rpm SCSI Hard Drive, 640 Mb 266Mhz DDR, 12x8x32 CDRW, ATI Rage Fury Pro 32Mb SD Video, 17' Monitor

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 17:58:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 17:58:57