Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / All the tutorials don't work for me off the bat if loading something is involved

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2005 01:39
OK...
Every time I am looking at a tutorial it says something like this:

load texture "grass09"

or something like that, and it doesn't work. Is there any way to change that so that I don't have to go into Program Files in my computer and find out where grass09 is?
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2005 05:27
Yes, but it's a lot easier to simply copy the required file into your project directory with Windows Explorer.

The alternative is to have something like:

Load Image "C:\Program Files\Dark Basic Software\Dark Basic\Media\Bitmaps\textures\Arcade\Floor\grass09.bmp",1

Which do you think is easier?

TDK_Man

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2005 05:31 Edited at: 10th Sep 2005 05:33
Just realised what you meant - and the answer is no unfortunately. You still have to locate the texture whichever way you look at it.

Just use Windows Explorer - but at least you know that the texture should be in C:\Program Files\Dark Basic Software\Dark Basic\Media.

You can right click on 'Media' and use Search. When you've found it, copy it to your projects folder.

TDK_Man

Me!
Years of Service
User Offline
or just grab any old image and rename it grass09.bmp or whatever, just make sure you have the file extension in the filename, XP is dumb and hides em by default so "grass.bmp" becomes "grass" onscreen, but the extension is still there and DB will need it to identify the file correctly, I find it better if XP isn`t so "helpfull"..go to control panel, open folder options/view then deselect "hide extensions for known file types" you will then always know what files you are dealing with at the drop of a hat since all you have to do is to look at them.

the average IQ is 100...but the people that took the test where trying to look smart. most people don`t go over 50.
Area 51?, I`m more intrested in what they have in areas 1 to 50
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2005 17:30
yeah this hiding extensions crap by default is one of the more boneheaded maneuvers by MS in 2000/XP. It should be off by default IMHO. Its the first thing I get rid of when setting up a new machine.
Its kinda like AUTOCAM in DBP - it should be OFF by default, but more of mho.

/rant

DBP Plugins | EZ_Serv 1.5 Bush, a retard, son of an *sshole

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 03:25:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 03:25:32