Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / plz help me understand how to program

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi i' am wanting to learn how to program a 3d game it will be a level remade from toy commander from the dreamcast(such a good game)
Anywayif possible can someone maybe help me cause i am the type of guy that picks up a book and stops reading after a day.
kmallon13@msn.com And is visual basic like darkbasic cause i will be learning that soon in school.
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 15th Sep 2005 03:56 Edited at: 15th Sep 2005 04:11
Quote: "Anyway if possible can someone maybe help me cause i am the type of guy that picks up a book and stops reading after a day."

If that's really your attention span... I don't think programming is for you.

Programming takes reading to learn and patience to write code. There are many tutorials in these forums, examples in the code base, and help files in Darkbasic itself. All of which require reading.

If I was you i'd make sure I get the teacher to download the Darkbasic Pro demo. I'm sure looking at that vs Visual Basic they'll want to use Darkbasic Pro instead.
Silent Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2005 04:11
good idea. getting students to program something they are interested in...

anyway if you are the type who picks up a book and puts it down the next day then get as far away from programming as you can. It requires lots of patience and lots of frustration (if you are like me that is).

VB is different from DB. just like German is different from English (well maybe not that different) but although they come using similar languages, they are different in certain ways such as purpose.

Version--DB Classic
900 mhz AMD Athlon, 128 MB RAM,
16 MB NVidia Vanta gfx card, Windows ME System software
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2005 04:52
Grog -
Quote: "I'm sure looking at that vs Visual Basic they'll want to use Darkbasic Pro instead. "

Not realistic. VB is more of an industrial standard. Besides, Slug sounds like he's in junior high. The teacher can't change the lesson plans.

Slug - Listen to Grog. If you can't read, you can't program. It takes hours and hours and days and days of frustrating learning. And, all of those hours will be spent sorting out game math. Programs are just a lot of math. You do all of the math, and you give a 3D command with that math. Take pong -
Ball is at coordinate X and Y.
X=X+1, y=y+1.
Reposition the ball at x and y
if ball hits paddle 1 then SomeVariable=1
if ball hits paddle 2 then AnotherVariable=1
if Whatever = whatever then Something else = something else

If you're making something more complicated, you have to control every single bit of math in every single frame. That will be thousands of lines of code. Some people are good at it, some people aren't. I think a good programmer / game designer is artistic, creative, good at math and reading, and a stickler for details. You'd probably be better suited for a drag and drop system, like FPS Creator.

Good luck.
Silent Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2005 05:02
"cant read" lol...
if he is studying programming he is probably in high not junior high, and at certain high schools.
At my high, it is a once a week afterschool program that uses GameMaker (the 2-D freeware. meh) but at my friend's, it is an everyother day class using VB.

Version--DB Classic
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2005 08:05
Quote: "Not realistic. VB is more of an industrial standard. Besides, Slug sounds like he's in junior high. The teacher can't change the lesson plans."

When I went to high school I begged and pleaded with the computer teacher to get into the class without first doing the prerequisites (I did them the same year I had computer class). When I finally got in the class I was shocked they were all rotten Apples. Black and White monitors... at home I was already programming in Quickbasic on my families Tandy 1000 with 16 colors.

I figured schools still had no idea what was being used in the real world... hense they're not using Darkbasic Pro.
Louiz ofRohr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2005 08:23 Edited at: 15th Sep 2005 08:30
Quote: "Anywayif possible can someone maybe help me cause i am the type of guy that picks up a book and stops reading after a day.
"

In my normal sanity I would encourage you to give up..
Because you just sound like dreamer..

But I know it is important..
So I'll be friendly.. =]

No.. DBP isn't equal to VisualBasic..
And you're not gonna be able to drag 3D objects to the form..
You can't make 3D games with VisualBasic itself (I think)..

DBP is very easy to learn..
But you asked the worst think in the programming world:
"How to program?" or "How to learn how?"

Well.. I would say: "typing at the keyboard" and "studing", respectively..

But I wanna help more.. So programming is a mix of:
_ Math;
_ Logic;
_ Commands;

and

_Effort..

Nobody is gonna help like you want if you don't show any effort..
(I think that "effort" should be a sticky topic )
just kidding..

good luck

The worst foe lies within the self..
metal slug
Years of Service
User Offline
"If that's really your attention span... I don't think programming is for you. "

No it is just that i like to play games and learning is kinda boring and also is darkbasic unable to load anything it will not work i have look at how others load stuff but it does not work
RegenProZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Slug, I wouldn't be disappointed with the facts that these guyz have givin you...

Begin Small
Never create an entire game in one go, espcially for someone as new as you, the more small games you make, the more used to the codes you get.

Don't Expect Quality In 24 Hours
Making a full on brilliant game like the pro's isn't a 24 hour thing, take my word for it, I used to think I could create GTA SA in a few months....never got round to finishing it...

Use The CodeBase
Examples is the main key to unlocking the full world of darkbasic, the codebase has many different codes and examples that will get you started

If Your Not Sure, Try It!
If you can't figure something out, try thinking 'what if I put this command in' don't be scared of using different codes and commands

Tutorials
DarkBasicPro comes with a pack load of projects to help you get started, and it includes a full command code list, so read the lines and follow what the commands mean and do.

Pretend Your The Complier
Read your full source code like your the darkbasic engine, if you have errors, your sure enough to find out why by reading

Positive Attitude
Never get pi**ed when something doesn't work out how you wanted, if your code doesn't seem to be doing what you wanted it to, youv'e made the error yourself, doubble check your code, or ask on forum

Last Things
As I said, don't be annoyed when you havn't created that ultimate game in a few weeks, if you could, then wouldn't everyone be doing it?
Make sure you also take breaks, i'm addictive to darkbasicpro and can switch off it a lot...

Oh and erm...good luck!

Silent Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2005 01:41
yes we are all out to get you and make you fall into a job that you are best suited for, but you do not wish to have. We are telling you that you are not worthy, your not worthy, your not worthy....

Version--DB Classic
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2005 02:50 Edited at: 16th Sep 2005 06:27
Quote: "No it is just that i like to play games and learning is kinda boring and also is darkbasic unable to load anything it will not work i have look at how others load stuff but it does not work "

Listen to yourself... "learning is kinda boring". If everybody had that attitude we'd still be in the stone age. I really hate to tell you this but without "learning" you won't get anywhere in programming.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I would love to see you program like crazy... but you HAVE TO LEARN to do anything in Darkbasic. Look when you joined... Dec 18,2004. If that's when you got Darkbasic and you haven't learned the basics by now... perhaps you should try reading some of the things that were suggested above.

You don't even have to read much. Go to the help files (press F1) and click Commands, then pick a set of commands. Look at text commands, click the first one.

Quote: "TEXT
This command will output the provided string using the current text settings at the specified coordinates on the screen. The coordinates should be integer values.

SYNTAX
TEXT X,Y,String"

Under the word "SYNTAX" is what you need to type in to do that command. "text" is the command, "X" is the left/right location on the screen (default is a number between 0 and 640), "Y" is the up/down location on the screen (default is a number between 0 and 480), and "string" is a bunch of letters surrounded by a quotes. So type in Darkbasic:

If you want the computer to not end right away until you press any key type:

Or what I use that's the same thing:

Now you have "learned" how to put text on the screen and how to wait for a keypress... and that was SO easy to "learn" by reading the help files. To me it's fun to learn new commands and experiment. Once you have "learned" by reading the commands you'll start to use all that you have "learned" and make the game of your dreams. Even if you just learn one new command a day you'll eventually learn enough to make the game you want. I know you can do it... go for it!

I really, really hope you already knew the text command.
PresFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Those guys are absolutely right, Another handy way is to join the IRC channel. Loads of helpfull guys there if you are willing to learn

Microsoft isnt evil, they just make really crappy operating systems -- Linus torvalds
metal slug
Years of Service
User Offline
"I really, really hope you already knew the text command. "
And yes i did know text command the problem is that if i am not able to load anything then how am i supposed to do anything.
And thanks XpProUser Grog Grueslayer PresFox and you are not nice
Silent Knight .And how would i load it do i need to have the file in a folder somewhere.
Silent Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2005 00:51
Quote: "Listen to yourself... "learning is kinda boring". If everybody had that attitude we'd still be in the stone age."

well actually before the stone age but you drive a good point.

@presfox
here is also a place with lots of helpful guys if you want to learn. Especially TDK he helps ppl all the time.

Version--DB Classic
PresFox
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Silent knight,

he is already on the forums, never seen him on IRC.

no offense to anyone, the forums are a great place to learn

Microsoft isnt evil, they just make really crappy operating systems -- Linus torvalds
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2005 15:29
You know, when I got DBC a few years ago, I couldn't use internet. So I had to take ALL my information from the help files that came with it.

What I'm saying is: try reading the help files. Both DBC and DBP come with examples and help files.

Immunity and Annihalation makes Immunihalation...
Delta Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2005 15:34
dark basic language is very easy to learn. I have only started programing today and i have all ready made progress. Try out the monstar hunt turtorial to get you stsrted

Dark Project Studio (web Site comeing soon)
Silent Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2005 19:28
aw man sven talk about bad timing!
i dont see the help files as comprehensive because they think you should already know some of the things that they talk about. The learning curve in the DB help tutorials is also very steep. you go from "hello world" to stock market arrays in 10 minutes.

Version--DB Classic
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2005 19:32
you're quite right...

Forget my last post then.

BTW: The binary moon tutorial is very good. Go check it out.

Immunity and Annihalation makes Immunihalation...
Louiz ofRohr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2005 19:41 Edited at: 17th Sep 2005 19:46
Quote: "
You know, when I got DBC a few years ago, I couldn't use internet. So I had to take ALL my information from the help files that came with it.

What I'm saying is: try reading the help files. Both DBC and DBP come with examples and help files.
"

I just love this post..

Quote: "No it is just that i like to play games and learning is kinda boring"

Give up.

yep.. give up. Go play third party games.. You're gonna have fun
and stop this anguish in your heart..
Make your way..

Quote: "BTW: The binary moon tutorial is very good. Go check it out.
"

Sven B..
you know, if he was willingly to...

The worst foe lies within the self..

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 05:19:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 05:19:50