Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / What makes darkbasic better then say, VB?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I looked at the source code from one of the downloadable demos on this website, and noticed that it is quite long and complicated.

PLEASE explain why this proggramming language would be easier then say, Visual Basic?

Zekklen
Shining Moonblade
Years of Service
User Offline
DB was built solely for the purpose of making games. All the collision coding a lot of the graphics handling is done for you, so everything is easier. Besides, with ANY language that you look at, the coding is going to seem long and sort of complex. I know. But it's a lot easier when you're the on writing it, trust me.
I've used VB for a long time (2 years) and yet still wasn't able to get anywhere near to game programming. I just couldn't find any books or helpful tutorials about DX or OpenGL, that sort of thing. So I tried, but the games I produced really stunk.
Don't worry about it. Writing it piece by piece building up to that long complex thing you saw is what makes this language nice.

CD On CD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2002 22:38
same here, as far as VB.
maybe i just couldnt get the hang of it in VB but it seemed way too hard and complex just to do the simplest little thing. i now use VB only for programming non-game apps. i've been using VB since around 1990 & found lately that it was a pain to use Dx functions. so as long as i stick to window type applications, it's good.

(VC++ didnt appear too much easier either)

DBP is really much easier for 3D programming and seems fast enough in the final exe.

my 2 cents

United We (Still) Stand
Shining Moonblade
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, no problem.

Shining Blue Blade of Night
Zekklen
Years of Service
User Offline
The code just looks awefully complicated. Darkbasic PRO doesnt happen to help you along with this by any chance?

Like it cant be all typing in raw code, then testing it?

Zekklen

Coolguy
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah they have tutorials to teach you

Seph
Years of Service
User Offline
Something may look complicated to someone uneducated in the subject, but once a slight bit of knowledge is gained, it makes a whole lot more sense.

CD On CD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2002 06:24
you said it Seph
once it all "clicks" it's nothing but progress from there on. now,,,,i just wish it would all "click" for me and DBP

United We (Still) Stand
ChipOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2002 20:57
Hey Z, just to clarify some points.

First off, it's not so much that programming in any language is any more difficult that any other language. The bulk of the work is in defining the problem and then being able to express the solution. Your choice of language is then simple a matter of knowing which syntax to use.

The major difference, in the case of DB/DBP and VB is the functionality build into the runtimes of the languages. For example, VB leverages Windows controls and the event-based programming style.

Games programming, on the otherhand is largely the domain of timers and render loops. Because we don't want to mess with all the dirty internals of DirectX (we leave that to Lee and Mike), we can stand on top of the DB/DBPro runtimes to build, at almost no cost, 3D and 2D worlds for our games to exist in.

Is it easier? Well, if you're writing a game it is. If you're building a database app, you're likely best to use another language.

How is it easier? Largely, it is because the game engine and all of the control over the DirectX libraries are handled for you. This means you don't have to worry about OO code, programming against interfaces, complex DirectX types and the intrinsics of tying all the DirectX features together. You get them all at your disposal in DBP by simply clicking "new project."

Do you really have to write all that code? You bet. This isn't a RAD tool as in the likes of VB. There is no interface to drag-and-drop a video game together (not a generic one, anyways).

Is it hard to learn? hrm...well, the question more becomes "Do you really want to program video games?" This isn't rocket science to pick up, but without a ton of experience some of the more advanced topics will be harder to understand. A good working knowledge of the mechanics of a game helps, and understanding the process of development helps A LOT!

-= i only do what my rice krispies tell me to do =-
warzog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2002 23:23
Dark Basic is in English!

Visual Basic is in MicroShaft!

'Nuff said?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:55:47
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:55:47