Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Not enough memory

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
For some reason, DB classic now tells me that I don't have enough memory every time I refresh the screen in one of my programs, yet my CPU's active memory is barely 50% and hard drive space is no issue. Can anyone suggest a solution to this?
RegenProZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Could this mean memory as in ram and not cpu?

If it is cpu, are you saying you use on average 50% of your cpu?

I have servral programes running, and it's harldy 8%

Try closing all your programes which arn't needed for the computer to run, and try again, if you still get this, it could possibly be a directx problem...

Me!
Years of Service
User Offline
is this meaning the graphics card?, I doubt you would use up all your systems memory since the windows vmm would just add more (at the cost of your programs speed), how many MB of gfx have you got loaded and don`t forget you have to have space for three screen displays for the triple buffering (or is just double buffered...can`t recall..but for 1024x800 thats about 3.5mb per screen, thats either 7 or 10.5 mb you don`t have already) it could be you have added some more graphics and exeeded you cards memory, note that images like JPG are NOT compressed while the card is using them, they take up as much space as any other raw image, this means that they can use more memory than a .bmp version of the image, don`t forget.... images eat memory.

the average IQ is 100...but the people that took the test where trying to look smart. most people don`t go over 50.
Area 51?, I`m more intrested in what they have in areas 1 to 50
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2005 14:21
In DBC, when a program runs, DirectX will take ALL of the CPU's processing power which is perfectly normal because DirectX wasn't designed to be a multi-tasking environment.

On my system it always hovers around 99%, but this isn't memory - it's CPU utilization.

The cause of your problem could be one of many, many things - both hardware (faulty RAM) and software (bad code).

Are you using arrays? If so, you may inadvertantly be creating an unrealistically large array which uses up all your available memory - but only shows up when the screen refreshes (at the Sync).

Turn Sync On to Sync Off and see what happens when you run it.

TDK_Man

PaulC
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, thanks, I'll look into all your suggestions.
Louiz ofRohr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2005 19:58 Edited at: 17th Sep 2005 20:01
Perhaps you are loading media excessively..

Try to reduce the media loaded into program..
Unload obsolete media..

I remember it happened to me when I tried DBC..

The worst foe lies within the self..

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 05:24:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 05:24:41