Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Rush by Strawberry Crush Team

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2005 00:33 Edited at: 16th Sep 2005 00:36
Finally, the 1 year old Work in Progress, is announcing itself here, and well I got the uh...'honours' of being the announcing, as I got permission from our Kingpin...oops I mean team leader...thats the word .
Its Sonic based, and the new sonic has to be called Sonic Rush, they've been spying on us

Okay here goes.

Project title : Rush
Team name: Strawberry Crush Team
Members:
Onimusha
Gokz (Aka Zidane on TGC)
Dark Serpant
Celsius Zero (Aka The Samurai on TGC)
Seppuku Arts (Arts = Geijutsu, its obviously me, sort of recent quitter)
Jimpo
JahMagic
BearCDP
Animeblood
Soapyfish (I'm sure he quit)
Our latest addition Torq
Team size: Can't you count?

Genre: fast paced action Platformer (Same Genre as Sonic)

1. Game Preface

A young adult known only as "Rush" bearing white hair, has been responsible for some of the biggest theft operations in history. His high-speed and dexterity have made him uncontainable by the police force and his true guise is unknown. A fugitive in society, Rush is in too deep to change his ways so he perseveres, living off the remnants of a once supernatural rush of being a grandmaster thief.
Yet, still as the world turns; karma draws ever nearer, and seeing signs of police discoveries already Rush knows that the law is close to imprisoning him forever.

Rush, although a criminal by deed, feels remorseful for his actions and looks hopelessly into space for a
chance to redeem himself.

2. Game Story

One day as Rush trained for his next big hustle, a fleet of vessels shrowded the ground with smoke. A space tyrant by the name of Nonagon had invaded the futuristic world of Cryzo with his gigantic intergalactic armada and began their exploit of reaping the planet's wonderous minerals - the "Silver Seeds". In the hope of harvesting them to create a dangerous indestructable mercenary, "Nonabeast".

Nonagon banished all the inhabitants of Cryzo into an alternate dimension in order to build another new empire on Cryzo. By chance, Rush somehow did not get banished by Nonagon and sets out to find the cause of this disturbance,.somehow knowing that his voyage could lead to the pardoning of his crimes.

Can Rush save this crisis? Can Rush bring back the people of Cryzo? Will Nonagon ever build his Nonabeast?

Cryzo is in your hands.

The levels

1) Bamboo Greens
Description:- Somewhere in China, in the distant future (imagine the lush forests) and Rush is racing through it; pandas are dotted around the place, sakura, flowers, waterfalls and small animals are around and bamboo trees litter the landscape it's quite relaxing.

(Status: In progress, due to me being busy, I haven't updated myself with it actual status)
2) Blazing Valley
Description:- The volcano-ridden valleys of sun soaked Italy, blazing olive groves, sleeping dragons, falling boulders, action taking place inside and outside the volcanoes. Everything is trying to burn you. Huge pillars and fire geysers burst from the ground.

3) Frosty Forest
Description:- The snowy plains of Alaska, the atmosphere of high winds, huge chasms, blizards, ice lakes and delicate crystal caverns combined with a high speed thrill ride.

4) Techno Haven
Description:- Inside the internet, lines, dots, bright colours, lasers and retro 70's/80's designs bombard the screen. The level is awash with bright lights and falling tetris-style internet addresses. So much to see good and bad.

5) Magical Love City
Description:- All over the world people come together in this pink arcade of bliss, japanese themed and vibrant brightly coloured gardens, hearts drifting across the sunset sky bright lights and J-pop bounce off the walls. A teen utopia. It's Rush's party time.

6) Spring Water Lagoon
Description:- The relaxing natural beauty of a new morning in Canada. blue skies, high trees, slow pace of life, mountains and valleys. Rush chills out, there's no real threats here. A breath of fresh air.

7) Sky-High drifts
Description:- High winds, looking down at the world, one step wrong and you'll fall off, the story is coming to an eld almost, Rush is feeling strength that he's never felt before... Leaps and traps aplenty Rush burns rubber in the air!
(status: Started by Torq)

8) Midnight Rush
Description:- Tokyo at night, bright lights, cool people lots going on - fun, fun, fun, billboards people shouting yeah! Racing through the streets; bustling business and excitement resonates over the city.
(Status, I decided I'd start bits of this because I am v.busy and will not be able to determine when I can do things, meaning instead of doing what done, I'll just start another level, not much done yet)

9) Gizmo tower
Description:- Somewhere in tthe middle of Singapore, Rush enters a tower nearly piercing the sky, Rush is determined he's pushing his body beyond the bounds to reach his final destination but robots and machinery are getting in the way, all there is left to do is to break through the barriers and he's there, it'll be a struggle but it'll be worth it.

10) NONAGON Cruiser
Description:- This cruiser is huge and Rush has to get inside as it speeds through an alternate dimension, hate, anger, fury and rage permeate furiously out of the cruiser and every sort of villainous trap is here inside the cruiser, it's almost a huge tomb; an enginered maze of extreme evil and doom. Spikes and lasers, Ancient comets and stars, the adventure is coming to it's climax.

11) Vs. NONAGON
Description:- Atop a platform in a space nebula; The final war of good and evil rages. Rush is pitted against the most huge, devilish machine ever constructed; all he has is his burning fury and his fists to finally rid the universe of Nonagon forever.

And well, the year has been slow for Rush, with ups and downs with certain team members, and the source of the problem kicked out, and well we're back on track, and no longer lazy

Finally, as always required...screenshots.
Soooo...here goes...
*Some of this images has URL links on them, cos they don't always show, sorry for inconvinience*
Rush Rendered in 3DS max, made by Onimusha and Dark Serpant
http://img273.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rushwithsword7yt.jpg
Rush fire render 3DS Max

http://img14.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rushstill28la.jpg

Some flack for Bamboo greens, not level parts, I haven't seen BBG as a level together yet
http://img398.imageshack.us/my.php?image=greensflack6hc.jpg

Screenshots from Torq's level, Sky High drifts:

*NOTE, SOME PARTS OF THIS LEVEL ARE TEMPORARY, LIKE TEXTURES AND TERRAIN, AS IT WILL BE IN THE SKY*

*This is not a years work, this is stuff for you guys to look at while the BBG lot get a demo fixed for you guys, plus its late, and I'm gonna go to bed in moment*

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2005 01:55
Woah! Finally, I can't wait for the demo of this!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2005 02:37
WOOT!!! This looks awesome!!!! Will you be able to replay levels, and is this a side scroller, or is free roaming? It looks free roaming, but I still think it's worth asking.

BTW, the levels and and story sound great!

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2005 04:22
@ Xenocythe : we are really really close to finishing up Bamboo greens as a level. After that it will take us a week to wrap things up and actually put the programming togeather with the models. As up till now the programmers (Jimpo and I) have been making the functions (jumping etc.) in a test level until bamboo greens was ready. So just hold your exitement a little longer it'll be out before the end of the month.

@Bizar Guy : The game is in the same vein as Sonic Adventure. We just wanted to fix its faults and really push the gameplay. Yes you will be able to reply levels, and it is free roaming although the levels are sort-of linear (although there are multiple pathways). Speed plays a large part of the game, as does our fighting engine which we wanted to allow the player to pull of some crazy moves but still be able to revert to the basics when needed.

Head of Programming
Zedane.

around here.. normal's just a setting on a hair dryer
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2005 07:34
Small small small small music sample.

http://cdpgames.com/pub_files/news.mp3

I'm going to eat you!
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2005 10:45
It's a good start.

What's polycount of that level?

The future is here, and I can't afford it.
onimusha
Years of Service
User Offline
http://www.strawberrycrush.4t.com

[img=http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/9209/rch1ms.th.jpg]

Attention

Anybody feeling ambitious enough to assist with this game may apply at: strawberrycrushteam@yahoo.com , or post on either this board or the WIP board.

Please send examples of your greatest most professional work which preferably can be seen as in line with this game.

Cheers all,

Onimusha
SCT

- All's well ends well ! -
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2005 15:45
Quote: "Please send examples of your greatest most professional work which preferably can be seen as in line with this game.
"

Just out of curiosity, how can we send you something that is in line with this game when we haven't seen it yet? So far all we have in this thread are concept art and a level that could be anything

Also, what does this have to do with Sonic? ( I assume you are talking about Sonic the Hedgehog? ).

The concept art looks nice - good job

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?
onimusha
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Just out of curiosity, how can we send you something that is in line with this game when we haven't seen it yet? So far all we have in this thread are concept art and a level that could be anything"

Although this game has nothing to do with sonic, it's basically built on the Sonic-adventure gameplay mechanics i.e. extreme-speed, loop-the-loops, shifts in gravity, huge bosses, platforming and action and all that fanfare.

What I'm asking for when i say " work which preferably can be seen as in line with this game" are similar looking characters people may have modelled in 3d, loop-the-loops, nice looking game levels, character animation anything that would basically be part of making a game in the same manner as conveyed in this post.

Theres a long post - courtesy of Sep - at the very beginning of this thread explaining the game and how it plays, I assumed you might get an insight into the game through that.

I hope this crystalizes everything

Oni

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2005 18:15
Quote: "What's polycount of that level?"

Dunno, I doubt its too much, torq made it, plus its not finished so we're told, a lot is low poly, as we have poly count freak Dark Serpant on our team which is great, Rush was originally around 25,000 polys (at the time I used TrueSpace) and well it crashed in trueSpace 5 (Ironically onimusha made it in TS4 ) and DS reduced it a lot so we can call it a low poly model

Quote: "
Theres a long post - courtesy of Sep"

Only copied and pasted ur info

and well, I am working on my level in spare time, of course, now amazingly I found something interesting in my town, I got meself a social life, plus a-levels and ronin will slow it down, but meh! I would give a screeny of it, but is two tall cubiod sky scraper and a long twisty road for rush to run on, with no texture

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2005 22:37
some nice looking models there, I liked the actual fast 3d levels in Sonic Adventure, it had its faults but if you could get a control system and flow like the best bits that'd be really cool

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2005 01:01
I think that was mentioned on our forum, I think we have improved that, see what Gokz(Zedane) says about it

I think the progress with this game is increases, as our new dude and A-level students have gone off to start seperate levels

being, Me, Onimusha and Torq, when Dark Serpant, BearCDP, Jimpo and Gokz are working on BBG.

Maybe you could add this sort of style game to quikly then sonic or most importantly Rush fans will go crazy

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2005 08:47
Ok, alot clearer now

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
cool! i like the fire wall effect

BlueLight Online, improved version of MorningOnline
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2005 11:20
@Gogeta, If I'm not mistaken thats a 3DS max effect

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2005 21:01
yep the fire wall is not in game, and 'Teh Buddhist' is right, DS is INSANE (in a very very good way). He lowers Poly counts like crazy. Rush was i think 25000 polys, and DS lowered him to less than 10000. The Flack in bamboo greens was very high poly too (trees especially) and DS lowered them to under 1000.

Quote: "I liked the actual fast 3d levels in Sonic Adventure, it had its faults but if you could get a control system and flow like the best bits that'd be really cool "

That is something we have definatly taken into account. When we decided that the game would be like sonic, we knew we had some serious faults we had to deal with (control, camera, etc). That is why on our forums there are pages and pages on how to perfect rush's fighting engine and movement, along with making a fluid camera that never (never) gets in the way.

The one thing we did want to change from sonic is fighting. None of us liked the fact that all sonic ever did was turn into a ball and fall on his enemies. In rush we have a fighting system that hopefully will rival even Tekken. We have four major "motions" which are, Punch Kick Grab Defend. But by stringing theese togeather, you can unleash incredable combos. For example to counter an attack, you can hit defend to block it and then at the exact second you can hit -> + Kick, and rush would pull of a counter. But ofcourse it is not necciscary for a begginer to use the full power of the system, and simply pull of a string of punches or kicks, but it will become impretative to use the system in later levels and bosses.

I have tried to explain that without giving much away so expect more.
And just to clarify, the fighting system will not appear fully in the demo that we are nearing relese.

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
oh so its not DBP effect, too bad..
actualy, i dont think its hard to make something like this in DBP

BlueLight Online, improved version of MorningOnline
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2005 22:10
wouldn't think it would be, all you need to do is make the particles, and make them spin

onimusha
Years of Service
User Offline
To add to what Zedane has said, I'd like to share with you some tasty tidbits on how Rush's going to play in terms of being hardcore.

Rush will be able to do much more than run and leap through the air (although they'll be alot of that involved), due to his thief ways (see DBP talk Rush post) - Rush is able to utilise magnificent ninja-esque manoevres such as a smoke-shrouded vanishing leap, a dashing punch, a mystical samurai attack and many more!!

This game is going to be the hottest thing in DBP.

Had to raise the excitement levels to their certified level

Peace,

Oni

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 00:57
Quote: "This game is going to be the hottest thing in DBP."

Even hotter than when I tried putting the DBP CD into the microwave imitating Brianiacs 'Don't do this at home' thing? The was hot, so was the kitchen j/k

Maybe if we could get Zedane/Jimpo to post screenshots of the juicy bits of the engine, heck the last engine I saw was showing off jumping, spings and collecting power ups

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 01:30
Quote: "
This game is going to be the hottest thing in DBP. "

hehe you gota keep that to MSN bud.

Looking forward to a demo!

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 03:03
Quote: "This game is going to be the hottest thing in DBP. ""

hehe i wouldnt say that, i mean a picture of me in DBP would be soo much hotter!
lol jk.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 04:32
Screenshots of this in action would be nice, I'm still having trouble with a human character running as fast as sonic do doing some of the things he can do.

And I like the sound of that you're nearing release of a demo.

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 15:38
this game looks like it will totaly roxor...

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 19:17
@Zedane, you never know, you could be the hottest thing in DBP...I dunno, at least show us a sexy pic to back up your arguement

onimusha
Years of Service
User Offline
Lolz, erm, i dont think we need 2 be graced with ur beauty just yet Gokz.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 23:14
yeah may as well save that for later really, we gotta do things in order, from the sexyist to the least sexiest, so I'm first then Onimusha, Gokz/Zedane you should be somewhere between Bizar guy and Megaton Cat

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 23:57
Dude, all chicks dig cats. It's universall.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 23:59
oh I'm sorry, you're after Onimusha, my bad

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2005 02:52 Edited at: 20th Sep 2005 02:54

I'm very hurt... so hurt I had to update my avatar a bit...
I can see how a cartoon deformed pinguin thing wouldn't be very atractive though...

Seppuku: why'd you change your name?

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2005 03:11 Edited at: 20th Sep 2005 03:14
He's obbsessed with Bushido and Samurai and Buddhism and the likes.

Silly child.

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2005 05:57
yea well my avatar speaks for me and you know thats sexy...well you can barely see him...and he is a night elf...

im going to go change my avatar now.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2005 19:25
@Bizar, sorry if you were offended, penguins ae attractive, but well.....nevermind....everyone on this thread is uber sexy okay!?

I changed my name. because I was bored, been Seppuku everywhere I go on the net for two years (or more) theres gotta be a place away from Seppuku

@Megaton, not so much an obsession like, ooh the Japanese where so cool gotta be like one, more like, I've looked up buddhism and the philoshophy of the samurai and became really interested in it, plus I love martial arts, I'm not just a fan boy its just so damn interesting and the concepts I agree with a lot, especially with Buddhism.

Also, teh Buddhist was a random name I came up with, not a good name thinker here, so I settled with Teh Buddhist, never know I might get bored of it, or think of a good name to replace it

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2005 21:57 Edited at: 20th Sep 2005 22:00
"Maybe you could add this sort of style game to quikly then sonic or most importantly Rush fans will go crazy"

Well it'll already support third person levels and the physics would be perfect. Getting customisable proper character anamation and control would be the only problems, but I hope in the not too distant future Sonic Adaventure style levels would be easily possible

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2005 22:00
kewl, well at least this game proves you'll be able to do it

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2005 23:12
So you any of you be posting screens of the game in action?

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2005 01:12
lol well as an upadate the level editor was just completed by Jimpo (our other programmer that seems to have come back from hibernation).
So DS is testing the level in it making any changes so the loading is faster and what not.

Movement was finalized, and the speed system was added (rush gets faster the more he moves in one direction), slow down and skidding to be added soon (slowing down if no key is pressed, and skidding when the opposite key is pressed).

Camera is almost finished just a few collision issues to work out.

Enemey AI is coming along.

Fighting Engine is in Post Planning stages.

What will happen next is hopefully DS hands over the level to the rest of the team, by that time Movement, camera, and Gravity should be finalized, and hopefully after that its only a day before the demo is relesed.

Also we are discussing if we should relese the level editor along with the demo or not. Ill update on the descision later.

Screenshots in action? Cant really show you those since the finalized Bgreens hasnt been handed over to me yet, i do have screenshots of the rush at Test Room.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2005 02:18
Rush screens in the test room sound fine.

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2005 14:44
Project is looking nice, keep it up guys this could actually become quite cool

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2005 18:31
@Zedane, by test room you mean that demo you walk as the very first version of rush without animation and use the springs which has bug in? Its a nice engine
@Bizar, if what I just asked Zedane is true then the screenshots will unfortunately not show too much of whats going on, but I quess would be better than nothing.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Crap did not see this w.i.p I thought I was going to post it originall.y >_<

But its a good thread none the less Seppuku.

Theres no in game shots for you to see for many reasons one of which is a game like this just couldn't be shown through a screen it would need a movie or demo which is coming soon.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2005 00:40
thanks

Heck, me half quitting on them, has gotten me further from the project, so I don't even know what bamboo greens looks like, soooo......patience dudes, I'm sure a member working on Bamboo greens will give screenies in time, if not, like anime said movie/demo

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2005 01:52
no i do not mean that test room its a test room i made in about 10 seconds using the level editor, which just has like a wall, a few flowers and some ground and that basically lets me test most of what rush can do. . I post a shot soon...

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2005 17:58
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2005 20:39
Can we see some level tests? Not actual gameplay, just interested on how that level will look in DBP.

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2005 01:10 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2005 01:31
i'll get it up really soon. There are only 2 problems

A) there is some weird problem with the alpha mapping of the trees so basically you can see the tree but theres a black box all around it.

B)
(■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ ) <- Amount of homework to do
(■■ ) <- Amount of homework done.

Key :
■ = 1hr of homework.

Edit:: Really quick: http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bgreens44os.jpg: as you can see the trees have been crapified so that there is no alpha mapping problem.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2005 06:08
Looks pretty neat. What's the fps on this cat?

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2005 12:38
cat? 30 but my computer is stacked, after i bought the new ram and graphics card it has never dipped below 30 in any DBP game i make.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2005 15:42
Sweet. That's very impressive!

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2005 16:14
looks very good, can we see some screens of the gameplay?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 10:37:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 10:37:21