Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Contemplating DarkBASIC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've always wanted to learn how to make games and have finally settled on doing just that, especially now that I have all the free time in the world.

Now, the game I'm picturing is a simple MMORPG, with about 30-50 players at once. It's going to be 2D and be a side-scroller, simillar to Ninja Gaiden for the NES, I'm wondering if this is possible with DarkBASIC, and if I should also purchase the big 750 page book to help me, since I have zero knowledge of the first things about programming, unless you count html code for WebTV e-mail signatures. lol.

Thanks in advance.
The Cage Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2005 07:22
I'm not sure a MMORPG ("simple" or not) is the best concept as a first step into programming. In fact... that's a bad idea But you'll understand why very soon...

Quote: "I'm wondering if this is possible with DarkBASIC"

The only question is: will you succeed to create it? A 2D "Ninja Gaiden" is 100% possible with DB.

So your second idea is very good : starting with DBP is perfect. It's a very powerfull, complete & very easy language. I don't bought the book, but I think the inbuilt help wouldn't be enough for beginner.

Have a very nice game developper life

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 18th Sep 2005 08:02 Edited at: 18th Sep 2005 08:02
Apprentice, have you downloaded the Darkbasic Pro trial?

http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=trial

And The Cage Complex is right... don't make a MMORPG as your first project.

I love Ninja Gaiden!
Silent Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2005 21:57
make pong

Version--DB Classic
900 mhz AMD Athlon, 128 MB RAM,
16 MB NVidia Vanta gfx card, Windows ME System software
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2005 22:17
When I learned most about darkbasic was when I tryed making a pacman game (Ok it was never completed and I'm sure I could make one now) but as I was doing it I picked up loads of new techniques and stuff.
The forums are a great way to find Help if you ask.
(I can help whenever)
Big Man

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 05:31:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 05:31:04