Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Too many immediate strings?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2003 09:57
Greets...

Okay...here's one...I compile my project and get this:

COMPILER ERROR. TOO MANY IMMEDIATE STRINGS

Can anyone explain this one to me...

Thanx...
Mr. Duck.............quack!

I'd post the code...but at over 2000 lines? Somebody'd get Peeved!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2003 14:59
There's probably a limit on the number of literal strings you can have in a program. Things like this:

print "Hello"

Are you using DB or DBPro?
MrDuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2003 09:55
Greets...

IanM...

I'm using DB(standard)...

And you may be right!...

I had always understood that a compiler only reads the lines of code and sets them in a way that each line does it's function...(DB compiler protocol may be different)...it may compile all the information at once trying to set each line of code as a seperate entity...and in my program...it's them twins!...or too many identical strings...but I have each string under a different and unique tag(label) so it shouldn't really make a difference as to how many there are...as long as they're not identified under the same tag(label)...hell...I don't know...I used to do COBOL in a retail firm...some basic at home...I don't know...it's just that my program is over 2.5k lines with (appx. ( I tried to count them but gave up after I realized somewhere down the line I lost count on a few things))...300 lines that are literal strings (i.e. load image...paste image) type...I also have about 130 doloops chock full of mouse activated buttons...about 750 unique labels...85 dims(single, dual and triples)...some #include's...and maybe 500 text statements...a few over 50 objects( stopped counting at 43)...63+ I/O (NPC) statements up the kazoo...automatic sequencing loops(for NPC interaction)...mouse activated icons(w/ASL's)...a load of textures from hell...23 drop down menus...48 R/W operations(some read/write in the same process cycle)...21 separate files folders...over 18 accessed fonts...and 2(PC & NPC) resequencing loops( that bugged every once in awhile)...and this project from the devils hip pocket is only about 1% finished...if you want to call it finished!...other than that...not to much in it...it's an RPG...I have a flowchart...HA HA HA!...okay...that was good!...but now...the compiler can't handle the massive amounts of strings...and I fear...any more addition of anything will result in some other lock up...

I would really like to have this in one complete executable...but like I was told once...when I started operating Main-systems...I can find the weak spot in any systems armor...just give me time...I don't have too much luck with comps and their softwares...

Anyway...I'm rewritting it over again in DB(standard)...maybe I can find another way to get my results...and in case someone else reads this...I am new to DB...maybe I'm just not coding this stuff right yet...

Yeah...I thought about that too!...

Take care..........
Mr. Duck.......................

Quack!
(Daffy Duck and the Aflac Duck are no relation)
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2003 19:12
You are right - up to a point.

Generally (on compilers I'm familiar with) literal strings are stored in a separate area of the executable/memory, and are then referred to by their address.

So, in pseudo-assembly-level-ish-code-stuff :

See, the code does not contain the string - that is stored in the data section.

I would assume though, that DB (being a virtual machine) would hold the strings in a table instead, and that table is of a set size, and that you filled it ...

Instead of storing all of your strings inside the program, try putting them in a text file and reading that into an array at startup. I'm assuming from what I've read that a lot of the strings you have are for NPC/PC-type conversations, so this shouldn't be hard - just time consuming.

On the subject of relations, what about the toilet duck? Quack!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 17:03:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 17:03:55