Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Converting Maps To BSP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2003 10:07
Ok, I bought Cartography Shop, & I was wondering how to convert my map file to BSP (Currently in .csm). I know this may sound like a noob question, but that is becasue it is. ^^"

Is there a plugin for Cartography Shop that will allow me to convert to BSP or another file that I can convert in the converter that came with DBPro?

Thanks for you time,
Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2003 10:29
Ok, nevermind that first question, but ive got another. I am looking through the tutorial on loading a map file & I am stuck.

Here is the line of code they tell me to enter...

Here is where I have the flaw. Line 3, the one about loading BSP. I know im a noob for asking this, but its true, I am a noob.

Line 3 says:
"world\ikzdm1.pk3"

How do I get the .pk3 file? I dont get what this means, I remember in Quake 3, the models are zipped together in a pk3 file, I think, how do I go about making one, & the world\ikzdm1.pk3 is a path, isnt it? If I have a custom folder, where exactly do I put it? Where do I start, under the projects menu or something & work my way with the path from there or something?

Thanks,

Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2003 10:41
One more thing I should add, is if I go to Start>Programs>Dark Basic Software>Dark Basic Pro Tools>BSP-PVS compiler & I load my map in .x format, when I try to click convert, it gives me the following error...

Start has caused an error in DBPROSG.DLL
Star will now close

If you continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer.

I restarted & it still gets the same error, any ideas?

Thanks again,

Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2003 09:13
Should I just try re-installing DBPro to try & fix this error? Someone has to have an idea about this strange Windows error, when I hit the compile button?

Anyone at all?
Thanks,

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2003 12:54
I've found the convertor to be very temperamental until patch 3.1.

Then I got it to compile maps fine, but there were wierd things going on with textures.

Now, after a computer rebuild (no different drivers or anything), it works fine!

I suggest you do the following:

1) Make a simple map consisting of 1 room (4 walls, BSP levels have to be completely enclosed and have no overlapping objects), 1 texture.
2) Export this to .x
3) Copy .x (not _lm.x) file & texture to Tools folder. (.../Dark Basic Professional / Tools) and run start.exe in tools folder.
4) Select map and click compile.

If you get any errors, then see if:

- Does your map contain curved surfaces? I've found only boxes and wedges can be used
- Are any faces individually textures? I've found it crashes if I use that feature
- Are there any overlapping edges? This can cause it to crash
- If the world completely enclosed? This can cause it to crash too
- Are the map .x and all textures in the same folder as start.exe?

Visit [url]www.lightning-systems.co.uk[/url]
You are the th person to view this signature.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2003 12:55
Oh, and with CShop maps just copy over the .bsp and textures, and leave the PK3 field blank.

Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2003 20:20
Only 1 Texture? Makes a pretty boring map, any ways around that?

Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2003 20:27
I have just a few more questions, but first, I got it to compile correctly. Now here are my other questions, besides the one with the Texture.

1. I cant use lights can I?
2. Any good skybox textures, that may have moving clouds & if so, where can I find them?

Well, those are my 3 questions.
Thanks for the help,

Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2003 08:59
Ah, come on, have I already alienated myself from this board, like I did another engines?

The Communist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2003 13:33
it should be possible to use lights. about sky-textures, just look at the web, there are loads of'em. if you want moving clouds etc, just rotate the skybox/sphere
Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2003 21:26
Thanks Communist, thats a really good idea, I think I may try it out after work today. I thank everyone who helped me, thats another reason I like this forum.

Thanks again,

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2003 13:36
Sorry for taking so long

1) You can't really use lights, as they require an extra "lightmap" model to be loaded. In theory yes, in practice no. (I've tried)

2) When I meant "opne texture" I didn't mean you could only use one. Make a really simple map (and I mean simple). Try and get that working, then go onto more compilcated stuff.

Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2003 14:38
Ive been making maps in Worldcraft for years. The only reason my map didnt work, was because almost every object was overlaping, which I failed to ask about it, so now I have to remake my map.

If I dont use lights, is the entire arena light? I want some dark spots if at all possible, for some of the players to hide in, so are there any ways around this?

Thanks,

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 17:31:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 17:31:16