Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Good place for newcomers to learn new coding techniques:

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2005 22:13
The Dbpro Challenge thread is designed to help people improve their code, by either taking part in the current challenge, or just following the thread and the progress made by the people that enter. Everybody is welcome to join in, especially newcomers, as it's a great place for working alongside some more experienced coders who don't mind sharing their expertise.

If you're inrested, a new two week challenge starts today, where the aim is to make a landscape that stretches forever in all directions - an 'infinite terrain' - dead useful for fps games, flight sims, and all sorts of other games. Just go to the second post on this page: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=48011&b=1&p=43

See you there, hopefully.

SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2005 23:50
Why can't DBC users enter?

...maybe one day I'll finish a project
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2005 01:58
In order that people can test, examine and dissect each other's code, we need to make sure we're all using the same language. There's nothing to stop the dbc users starting their own dbc challenge thread, but we who created the dbpro thread are dbpro users. Sorry!

SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2005 17:25 Edited at: 25th Sep 2005 00:45
but all DBC code exists in DBP - we just don't have the extras...

If I gave you some code written in DBC, it would work perfectly, although yes, we are dis-asvantaged

Edit: Before this edit, it said 'goce' above (not code) - obviously I was tired when I posted that

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2005 17:52
SimSmall:

That's not entirely correct I'm afraid - I just tried it!

The same commands may be present, but the way some of them work appears to have changed.

I have a perfectly working multi-directional matrix scrolling prog in DBC which I thought I'd run in DBP just to see what it does and it wouldn't even run.

Amongst other things, it would seem that Shift Matrix Up and Shift Matrix down have been reversed in DBPro. Once I'd reversed them and made the other alterations it did work.

Only minor differences I know, but it's definitely not a case of paste DBC code into DBP and run it!

TDK_Man

SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2005 00:46 Edited at: 25th Sep 2005 00:50
That seems pretty dumb, but if that's the way it is - that's just how it is... nothing can change that...

Only difference I ever heard of was that my game currently in progress in DBC wouldn't translate because it uses 3ds object files. I've heard DBP doesn't like these, but I've never experienced this problem first hand as I don't have a copy of DBP...

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2005 01:02
3DS files are OK, but there are other issues.

TEXTURE BACKDROP is gone, the sound commands have changed syntax, and other stuff just doesn't want to work.

The compiler is also "different". Some syntax that is acceptable in Classic isn't in Pro.

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2005 12:08
I should also metion that the challenges are of course open to non-newbies too! Experienced coders can show off their higher level programming skills to the rest of us! I find it a nice little diversion from slogging away on my main projects. OK, sales pitch over!

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2005 13:38
WoW! Man, these guys are high quility! that place isnt only for newcomers

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2005 17:40 Edited at: 25th Sep 2005 17:44
Another strange but unimportant annoyance with DBP (which I reported when DBP was first released but still isn't fixed) was with the Rem statement.

I believe that a rem is a remark so everything on a rem line is purely a comment and should be totally ignored - no exceptions.

In DBC, I tend to add copious amounts of Rem lines and have got into the habit of ending them with '...' to say that the code for that rem follows.

If my DBC code is imported into DBP, just one of these lines ending with ... is enough to stop it from running. Try it yourself if you have DBP. Just put the following line in one of your procs or functions:

Rem This block of code does 'whatever'...

Then see if it will run.

I know there's a way around it, but it shouldn't be needed as Rem lines should be totally ignored anyway.

The point I was trying to make in my first post is that DBC users shouldn't enter with their DBC code - assuming it will run in DBP - it more than likely won't.

If you don't have DBP to test it with first, then don't bother submitting any code.

TDK_Man

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 27th Sep 2005 05:33
I was very dissapointed that DBC couldn't take a rem statement on the same line of code without a colon before the rem.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 05:17:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 05:17:48