Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Good choice for 3D level editing?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2003 01:20
Hi, I'm considering buying Cartography Shop to create my own levels with DB pro but I wonder if this is a good choice. Quark looks intresting, but it seems to need other programs to run such as HL or Quake. Is there any way to create maps using Quark alone? Any suggestions/advice/opinions?

John
JD
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2003 02:30
this is an interesing question ... and the answer is yes/no - it can work alone, however you'll need to develop a complete pak set for it to work from because it likes something standard there.

failing this you can use the demo versions of Half-Life, Quake (updated to 1.06), Quake2 (updated to 3.20), Quake3 and others...
i oftenly use the demo's for development because Quake2 and Quake3 are around 600Mb full installation, whereas the demo's are 40 - hehee on a laptop its good to keep them as small as possible.

Fileplanet and idsoftware.com both keep these demos in stock ... and are on barely used servers now

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Strider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2003 02:47
Thanks for that Raven, I'll give it a go. Any thoughts on Cartography Shop though or is Quark the way to go for designing levels.

JD
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2003 04:07
personally i'd use Quark over Carto Shop ... i mean nothing against josh, he did a good job - but its just not quite there as a product and is difficult to use at times

quark already has everything you need

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Strider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2003 22:33
Thanks again Raven, You've been a great help.

... and Er - Sorry Josh, Maybe I'll get a later version.

JD

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 08:52:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 08:52:50