Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / what is the main purpose of primitives?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2005 03:48
is it to be able to build levels??

also about matrix's ,is there any way to extrude & shape a matrix?
or are matrix's used mainly for scenery ground?
Louiz ofRohr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2005 05:10 Edited at: 26th Sep 2005 05:11
I don't use matrix.. and encourage you to stop using it.. don't ask why.. 'cause you'll
soon find matrixes aren't good.. (unless you wanna make small levels)..

And:

|primitives are objects|

you MUST to make 3D levels with objects:
starting from primitives: sphere, cylinder, box, cone, plain, torus..

but I don't think DBP's primitives are good for large levels..
actually it is better if you load everything..

The worst foe lies within the self..
Me!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2005 10:44 Edited at: 26th Sep 2005 10:46
primitives are good as hidden collision objects, for example it would silly to make, load and hide a box object when you can just make one inside the code, so in the case of a door trigger you would just use a primitive box in front of the door (hidden) and then when the player hit it open the door, or use a hidden cylinder to detect if the player walked into an arena that then locks and releases a monster, etc, you can also use primitives to make up simple puzzle levels etc, or to act as placeholders inside WIP projects.

as for a matrix, they mAke simple ground objects and can be deformed in real time, larger ones have quite a high overhead in respect of the cpu time they consume, but smaller ones are ok, you can use a simple trick to make animated water with them as well.

we know where area 51 is, but where are areas 1 to 50?, and what do they do there?.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2005 15:38
I think primitives are good as temporary players and stuff, you know, you dont have to model your player straght away.. personally i find that making levels out of primitives is a bad idea, make it using a level editor.. using all these primitves for elevels is bad because:
1) its really frustrating positioning every single object
2) all these polygons that you are not ment to see build up and slow down your game

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 05:23:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 05:23:56