Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Runtime Error 1512 - Display is not supported by available hardware at line 0

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2003 20:26
Hi, sry for the repost of this, but I never got a solution, so just wanted to float back to the top of the pile...

original thread at : http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?b=7&t=5496

>1stly, sry if this has been asked countless times b4, but >without a search facility in these forums it's just a tad >difficult to check these things b4 posting...
>
>Ok, now the problem :
>
>I've just downloaded the DarkBASIC Pro demo and tried >running the FaceDemo project, but it just crashes out with >the error :
>
>Runtime Error 1512 - Display is not supported by available >hardware at line 0
>
>I also tried creating a new project and copied over >the 'spinning cube' sample code from the help file - same >result !
>
>What's the problem and how do I fix it so that I can start >evaluating DBpro properly ?
>

>my system spec is :
>
>PIII 933
>512Mb RAM
>GeForce 2 GTS 64Mb
>Win 2Kpro
>DirectX 8.1
>nVidia DetonatorXP 30.82 (or whatever they're calling 'em now)

Tried uninstall/reinstall of DB - no joy.
Get error no matter what screen res/depth selected under Settings.

Please - I really want to properly evaluate DB - I'm trying to take a sideways career step into game dev, and DB looks ideal for producing some 'proof-that-I-do-at-least-know-something-about-3d-game-development' demos...

Can anyone help me out here ?
--
Danger Danger!
Fire in the disco, Fi-re in the Taco Bell...
CompuWiz
Years of Service
User Offline
Try re/installing more recent drivers of your graphics card.

The only way to prevent all lag in a game is not to make the game.
Scorpion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2003 12:35
The only available more recent drivers are the nVidia XP 41.09 drivers - these blue screen on my machine unless I have DirectX 9.0 installed - which just adds in another level of possible incompatibility.

I find it hard to believe my systems so obscure that it's something specific to it - I pro'lly should have said before, but the GeForce2's a Hercules 3DProphet II GTS-64Mb - it's about as close to a reference board as they get.

The motherboard's Chaintech with a VIA chipset, so again, I find it difficult to believe it's an issue there.

I can believe it's DarkBasicPro trying to do something with my video card that the card just doesn't like - one would assume there's someway to suppress the offending behaviour and I think it's reasonable to believe that someone somewhere out there has some vague idea of what might be the issue - come guys - anything, throw it at me !

Ok, now I may be being overly paranoid here but is this a won't help the 'newbie' until he'll show some sign giving back to the community situation ?
If so, help me here and if I find DBPro to be the thing for me, then I can promise I will give back to the community - I've hinted at this in other postings, but, to put it blunty, I'm a software engineer with ~5years app development behind me and a I'm a gamer, I want to make a sideways move into games dev, I know some 3D, I know some game dev stuff, I cut my teeth on BASIC (Speccy +3) and I've seen enough about DBPro to see that it's great way to get into the 'getting your hands dirty' with 3D and games dev - help me out here and I promise I'll give back to the community - but if I can't get the eval version of DBPro running I'll have no choice but to dump DBPro and go down the more hardcore C++ plus DirectX route - which I _could_ do, but it'll take me longer to get up and runnign and I won't be in a position to share my insights with you guys.

So, DB team guys (I know you read these groups - I've seen the posts...), someone, anyone, _please_, help me out here - what's that vital bit of information I'm missing ? Anything, chuck it at me - but not 'Try reinstalling' again - I've done all that - I'm a coder - I'm coding-savvy enough to try all the basics before I start posting in forums...

Hope that all doesn't come over all too arsey - I've seen so much (well, nothing but) good stuff regarding DarkBasicPro that I'm just itching to get down and dirty in some good old-school-meets-new-school-3d-BASIC-coding!

Eternal gratitude and a big fat, flashing, neon, glowing credit in my first commercial game to whoever comes up with the solution to this issue !!!

--
Danger Danger!
Fire in the disco, Fi-re in the Taco Bell...
LREM 8888
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2003 12:34
Ive got 2 ideas, both unlikely to work.

1. Update to those new, flashy video card drivers that blue screen on your machine unless you are running DirectX 9.0. I've already updated WITHOUT updating drivers, and it must be the most unstable computer on Planet EARTH. Wot makes me a nervous wreck about DX9, is that you need to have your video card supporting DirectDraw firmware edition 2.0. My old vcard will only do 1.0. That's why i can't do Dx9 video graphics.

So before you upgrade to 9, here's how to see if it'll work. Click start, click run, type "dxdiag" (with or without quotes it doesn't matter). Click Display tab when it's finished collecting data. Wot does it say it supports? If only DirectDraw 1.00 forget it.

2. My second idea, is to do this: Change your display mode to 640x480 32bit. (You know, right-click your desktop, click properties, go to the settings tab, do the work there.) Now try your program again. Windowed mode always uses the current display mode, and maybe your card/software cant do 3d in that mode.

3. Contact the DB team.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2003 12:45
Aside from trying the above, and possibly re-installing DX8 and/or Windows, the only other option is to get a new graphics card.

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2003 13:38
you could get a real cool one if you win the retro competition, but then of course you'd need a working one to make an entry... Catch 22|)

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 23:10:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 23:10:10