Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Need Resources To Find Out How To Texture Like Simon!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2005 08:29
Hey, I'm getting interested in learning how to texture models REALLY well, I'm willing to take the time, I have a digital Camera, but I just need to fing tutorials on the subject *looks around for simon*

Simon, do you have any sugestions of where I could go to find out how to texture things like Characters, Models (anytype), overlays and decals? I would really like to know, but just don't know where to go.

-Sunflash

When FPSC gets good enough, lets make a Redwall game!

FPSC HEAR OUR PLEA, GIVE US MORE MODEL FORMATS AND SET US FREE!
Simon
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Sunflash,
Skinning the models in FPSC was a little different than usual, because I was using a Normal map shader. Heres how I would create a skin for a character model, known as a diffuse texture.

I use Adobe photoshop and build up the skin in layers. First I paint the entire texture in greyscale, using light and shade and adding in detail. Then I use layer combinations of photographic textures using different blend modes (overlay, screen, multiply etc) to get the colour.
For final lighting, I light the model in 3ds Max and then use render to texture to create the final skin.

If I've been using a Normal map for bump detail, I miss out the first step and just paint the diffuse map using colours with no shading. This creates the XXXX_D.tga (Diffuse texture without shading) textures.
To create the XXXX_D2.tga (diffuse texture with shading) textures I simply render a lit model model with the normal map applied.

Some resources that I found useful once:
http://www.planetquake.com/skindom/tutorials
and
http://www.polycount.com
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2005 07:05
Hey, thanks Simon! This should help alot! The tutorials at Planet Quake look really good! But what are you doing on the forum so early? Shouldn't you be in Tahiti relaxing in the sun, sipping punch? lol, thanks so much

-Sunflash

YourDoom
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm such a noob, hence this question:

Would using a Normal map shader (what ever that is) also work on entities that we are importing in the .x format? Seems like we are limited to just one texture at this point.
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2005 02:41
I also have a question, Is there an easy way to make Overlays? Say I wanted to make an overlay of a light switch, and I took this picture (below)

Do you see the trouble I'd run into? If I tried to use the picture on a white wall, it would lookugly (the black anyway). There are ways to fix this in any paint program, but what is, say, I took a picture of a round rug, even if I made the picture very large so I could see every square of color, it would still be hard to edit it around the edges. Is ther any easy way to do this? Or is it better to just get your hands dirty?

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2005 02:45
What your looking for is called "Alpha Map". The black would "Disappear" leaving you the light switch.

-This...is my boomstick!
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2005 02:53
Ok, I'll look up on it. Say you had a white wall papper with red flowers on it, and when you took the picture of the light switch, it got some flowers in the picture too, would Alpha Map take the two colors away (red and white)?

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2005 02:57
What you do is map out the part of the image you wish to see. If the lightswitch had a hole in the middle of it, you would alpha map the hole also. Therefore you would see the "wallpaper" on the sides and the "wallpaper" in the hole in the middle.

-This...is my boomstick!
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2005 01:53
sounds good, I'll look into it!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 11:59:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 11:59:36