Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Umm, is this supposed to happen?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2005 00:13
Hi,

I was trying all the game settings and I came accross one that lets you set what kind of window you want your game to be in. I clicked on all of them (it was preliminarily on windowed - full screen) and now for some reason I CAN'T GET IT TO GO OFF OF REGULAR WINDOWED! If I click another button it sets it to what I clicked, but then if I click the save button it reverts it back to regular windowed (which I don't want). If I set it to something else, run the game (before saving), and then go out of the game and save, it stays at what setting I want but then when I close DB and then re-open it, it sets it back to windowed mode again. What's going on???

Hey, I'm still a newb, so expect lots of questions from me.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2005 00:39
GMX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2005 02:14
The one that I'm making (it doesn't have anything to do with the source code, that's one thing I'm sure of)

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2005 03:53
Quote: "I was trying all the game settings"

I don't understand. Surely in your game, you wrote the settings, so you should know what they do?

Or am I missing something here?

TDK_Man

GMX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2005 19:25
Did I mention I'm using DBPro? If not sorry...well anyways the settings that I'm talking about are the ones on the right side of the screen, in the box with buttons project, settings, files, functions, labels, variables, media, cursors, icons. I'm talking about the settings that you change for your game inside DB, not in your code.

Here, this is what I'm talking about:

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2005 19:39 Edited at: 8th Oct 2005 19:40
Full screen exclusive mode? ad where is da codez

Gtas back and bigger and better than before
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 8th Oct 2005 20:17
Most IDE's that i've used start with a windowed mode of some kind. All you have to do is change it for any program your making and save the code and project data (always use Save All in the menu). Once it's saved everytime you open that project it will be using the settings you picked.

You can even change any project you already have to fullscreen without going into the IDE. Simply open the .dbpro file associated with your .dba file with notepad and edit the project settings.

GMX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2005 22:17 Edited at: 8th Oct 2005 22:18
Quote: " I was trying all the game settings and I came accross one that lets you set what kind of window you want your game to be in. I clicked on all of them (it was preliminarily on windowed - full screen) and now for some reason I CAN'T GET IT TO GO OFF OF REGULAR WINDOWED! If I click another button it sets it to what I clicked, but then if I click the save button it reverts it back to regular windowed (which I don't want). If I set it to something else, run the game (before saving), and then go out of the game and save, it stays at what setting I want but then when I close DB and then re-open it, it sets it back to windowed mode again."

@Grog: I tried setting it back to what I wanted but when I saved it actually switched back on its own...and I don't know why.

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2005 23:40
What you have to do is as soon as you set those settings you have to compile the program. You dont have to run it but if you save before you compile it it will revert to its original state. The same goes for the to do list and program comments section.

Formerly known as SFLM.
GMX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 02:30
I did that. If I do that it stays at fullscreen mode (which is what I want) until I close DB. Then when I reopen DB and load my code into it, it changes it back to windowed setting.

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 04:38
I don't think there's a way to change the default settings when you first run the standard editor.
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 19:10
I had this problem a really long time back. Once by some chance it happened to work and since the todo list works like that I thought that is what I did. Since that apparently doesn't work I would say to change the screen size setting with the set display mode command.

I R tEh Antid0te! ROOOAAAR!
GMX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 19:16 Edited at: 9th Oct 2005 19:16
Doesn't work. Now when I compile the game, it starts at 640x480 for a split second and then goes to 1024x768 BUT it doesn't go fullscreen. When it changes to 1024x768 half of the window goes off the screen.

FROGGIE!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 19:43 Edited at: 9th Oct 2005 19:45
try adding SET WINDOW OFF before setting the resoloution.
GMX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 20:35
That works for what I wanted but now my models are really shiny (more than I want)...what's going on? (I tried 32 bit graphics depth and the game ran slow (with the shiny models), so I changed it to 16 and it ran regular speed but the models were still too shiny)

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 23:06
Wear sunglasses when you program.

You could try editing the textures in a drawing program and fade them a little bit.
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2005 00:53
The shiny problem isn't actually a problem. When in 640 x 480 there are more pixels to work with and there is therefore more light "reflecting" off of the objects. The slow down is probably from you graphics card not being up to date and so 1024x768 is too intensive for it to run a game on. I would suggest trying 800x600 or even if you have to, stay at 640x480. You can experiment with other resolutions but as a general rule you should keep the ratio at 4:3 unless you have a widescreen monitor. Then you should go to 16:9

I R tEh Antid0te! ROOOAAAR!
GMX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 00:57
Actually I changed the color depth to 16 and it went normal speed (while staying at 1024x768 res).

When I change the res to 640x480 it is still shiny.

I found out that when I have EITHER the set window off command or the set display mode it makes them shiny.

GMX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2005 23:41
Nobody?

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2005 19:10
Use the set ambient light command to set the ambient light to 0.

Unless you've already done that and it still works. If so I don't know what the problem is.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 07:20:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 07:20:23