Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DBP question about RPGs

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 03:23
Hello, I'm new to the program. Seeing all of the great demos on this site, I was considering making a 3rd-person RPG. I am wondering if it is possible to make NPCs follow you using DBPro? Or is it impossible to code something like that with this engine?

I love challenges, and this seemed like such a challenge since I haven't seen anyone do it, looking at all the games on here. Thanks for your help in advance!
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 17:03 Edited at: 9th Oct 2005 18:21
Anything is possible you just need teh codez. The only limitations Dark Basic Pro puts on you is the speed it requires to handle things like massively online multiplayer games.

So yes, making NPCs follow is actually very simple once you know what youre doing.

Knuckles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 17:26
Thank you so much! I wasn't planning on this to be a multiplayer game, but thanks anyway! It's good to know that such things are possible.
x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 17:44 Edited at: 9th Oct 2005 17:54
Yes knuckles, it is possible. Allow me to save you a ton of questions and research. First, please direct your self to http://www.matedit.com/db.htm and briefly read its tutorials. Some are mildly out of date but do an excellent job of helping your learning curve.

That being done,please direct your self to http://www.ruccus.net/Tutorial.htm And read very thoroughly.

It is a personal view that browsing through and reading, compiling, manipulating, recompiling code from http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=codebase_list is an excellent source of information and often leads to you building a "Code Snippet Library" of reference material. Code you can refer back on when you cant recall specific use of certain commands. It helps to see some code in action as opposed to Show Case and Usuage Examples that are a bit overwhelming in the "DarkBasic Profesional
Help System"

This being done? You are now adequetly introduced to DarkBasic Pro. I quote "Introduced" not "A Master of" as there is still ALOT to learn, but these 2 sites I feel would best prepare you for where I see you going with DBP.

It would also help to view the http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=30380&b=4 thread. Yes,I am aware that you are doing 3D, not 2D, however this tutorial covers alot of interesting material often overlooked in 3D FPV RPG development.

Personal advise? When asking questions, check the forum for answers as it is VERY likely that this question has been answerd and several times. If you are the first to ask or it has not previousely been answerd? Then post your question and make sure it is in the right place. be very paitient for replies. Sometimes can take minutes, sometimes days.

If and when you post your first demo/code,etc ? Also be very paitient. often people post tutorials or demos or code and fail to see a big flood of replies right away and become discouraged (I my self have made this mistake). Give it a few days, you will see replies or be adequetly redirected to answers.

- Do it, Do it Right, Do it right now..
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
If you would like to make an NPC follow a player around, what you have to do is have the game make the NPC face the player. Then you have to make it detect when you are pressing one of the keys to make the player move, make the NPC move at the same speed as the player and make it so when the player is stopped, stop the NPC too. Very simple to code, you just have to look at the horrid manual that TGC set up.

C. Nom De Plum

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 05:28:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 05:28:49