Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / newcomers intro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 10:28
how about in this section a newcomers intro thread where they can actually introduce themselves and why they bought whatever product, that way they might not get flamed for appearing on other threads with a grando massive idea except they cant actually prgram yet and havnt got any kind of level editor,that way seasond members can easily help guide them knowing they are new and to expect big ideas.
this might help avoid the flaming and demoralization.
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok. I bought Dark Basic and I can already program pretty well, mostly because I learned QBasic before Dark Basic which helped me understand the coding really well. I can program simple 2d games like a dungeon game, but I can't program 3d yet.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 18:19 Edited at: 11th Oct 2005 18:19
@UFO- Hey!

almost the same story as me! i learned and used QBasic (it was my first programming language) and then i found DB(Pro) and i'm using that!

and i must say that although i would tell other people that i can program 3D games, the only one i ever made really sucked... (it was my first game though... )

except i wouldn't classify myself as a noob to these forums... i'd classify myself as an idiot that hangs around and never gets anything done

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 19:05
Ok I use DBC and I am getting bored and really want to move onto Dbp but just dont have the money yet (Wait till my birthday he he).
Seriously it would be cool though to win it in the newsletter subscription thing.

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.
tpfkat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 19:11
hi there ufo,peter and big man
im a noob here myself as you can tell by the date near my avatar.
i hope this area atracts interest so the mods might make a sticki of it for all newcomers.
i really recommend using the search tool,if you cant find it then post away but some of the vets get annoyed reading the same questions over and over but most of the time poeple on here are really helpful and freindly.
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 19:19
Yeah I can be really helpful if you ask questions I can answer and I am always friendly(I wont ever bite your head off over a small mistake you make on the forum like some people do)
so if you need help now, fire away.

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.
Gillypie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 19:33
i bought db and am working on my second game

I like playing games and i'm addicted but i suppose its better than fagssssssssssssssssssssss.!! boogy
tpfkat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 19:50
cool,have you shown your first to anyone.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 20:17 Edited at: 11th Oct 2005 20:19
hello, my name is Lukas W.
i started with pokemon.. no i mean i started with darkbasic because i wanted to make a pokemon game in 3d.

i started with db in 2002, where i wrote a program that would print the person i was in love with all over the screen and in different colors and sizes.. i also managed to write a calculator and a program that asked you lots of questions and gave you a bad response to every answer you wrote. and i also wrote "The Ultimate Game Name Creator" and a text editor in delphi

in 2003 i started with game making.
* Thieves and cops. i wrote it in Game Maker 4.2 - download
it was my First Real Game ever written.. but it is also a 2d game.

here are some of my 3d games i wrote in 2003:
* Enric The Knight - download - rpg game (my first 3d game)
* Sheep Hunter 1 - download - fps game (my 2nd 3d game)
* Poo Fighters - download - a game with my family, and our cat (the cat dissapeared in 2004) - fighting gmae
* Trashers - download - poor fighting game, my first attempt at camera effects and good graphics.

i have more, but i have lost a LOT. i have accidently erased my hd 2 times allready, programming in db. i actually got banned for posting how i did it that was emarrasing

and that is me

devastation
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 23:38 Edited at: 11th Oct 2005 23:38
umm hi guys

this is a great idea. someboyd just introduced hismelf a couple and got flamed. it sucks to lose members of this community as they join cas someone is offended that someone wants to make a game that doesn't have uber leet skills yet.

so yeah, hi everyone I guess
I've only been on here for a couple months. I've got 2 current projects, one a cool scary game (hopefully will have a demo up by halloween) and the other a paintball game that I postponed

note that my gif is screwed up, so yeah...

verydevastating.com
tpfkat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 00:16
i like the gun model. did you do it yourself,if you did what did you use,also for all new members wanting info on moddeling and creation software theres a thread which lists all the moddellers and animation software found on the darkbasic pro thread under...list of moddelers, it has probably most of the free and pay for software.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 00:20
Quote: "i started with db in 2002, where i wrote a program that would print the person i was in love with all over the screen and in different colors and sizes.. "

... you printed jimmy's name all over the screen!!

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
@Lucas w. - Why are you posting here? You are not a noob.
Quote: "Yeah I can be really helpful if you ask questions I can answer and I am always friendly(I wont ever bite your head off over a small mistake you make on the forum like some people do)
so if you need help now, fire away."

It's nice having these kinds of people in forums.
I read the forums about a month before I joined, so I am not an extreme noob, even though I joined today...
devastation
Years of Service
User Offline
@thicko: no, I got it from 3dcafe.com. It's soon to be replaced with an awesome tippman 98 model w/ hopper and stuff

I jsut started getting on forums after I started having problems w/ darkbasic (right about the time the mailman put the box on my door) and this community has helped alot.

Noobs, get in here. We want to hear from you. this thread is nonflamable (until megaton gets here...)

verydevastating.com
Deep Thought 42
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 03:40
Well I guess this is sort of a good idea. Better then some noob making a fool of him/herself and getting roasted. Welcome all new TGC memebers!

Links to help you post wisely:
Forum Rules
Posting Code

"There are no stupid questions, just a lot of inquisitive idiots."
devastation
Years of Service
User Offline
mods... if this gets anywhere, could u make it sticky, and could u extinguish any flames?

verydevastating.com
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 05:19
ive been making 3d characters in 3d programs for years.
playing games 4ever lol
started making my dream game in somthing called 3drad but i got tired of its limitations so i came here

ill be here a while bothering u all lol

later
Psycotwerp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 08:24
Tyring to get into game programming and took a wrong turn at albaqoickie (ITT) so now I'm finishing out a degree in web development and heard abou this. Now I'm hear and my wife will forever curse the day I heard of darkBASIC.

Enjoy your day

Everyone needs an Alfred
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 09:16
UFO,
yeah, maybe im not a noob or maybe i am.
back in my days noone posted a thread like this, so i pretended it was the year 2003, when i was a noob, and i introduced myself now in 2003

tpfkat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 11:25
ufo and lucas w,everyone has the right to introduce themselves on this forum,old members and new members,please dont start a flamer on the newcomers intro page.
thank you
devastation
Years of Service
User Offline
LETS FLAME LUCAS!!! o wait nvm

I bought 3d rad too and never even learned it. Wasn't all that useful anyway, I dont think.

verydevastating.com
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 01:44
hey, how come ya'll noticed that lukas isn't a noob but you didn't notice i wasn't?

now i feel like i need to cry

devastation
Years of Service
User Offline
[/quote]well...

Quote: "and i must say that although i would tell other people that i can program 3D games, the only one i ever made really sucked... "

then again...

Quote: "i'd classify myself as an idiot that hangs around and never gets anything done "

like me in biology (or programming class, for that matter)

verydevastating.com
WarGoat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 04:13
ok then, I'm going to introduce myself, so... I'm myself and I've been programming in DB for 1 year. And now, I'm learning C++, wich is quite hard.

Windows XP,pentium IIII, 1,9 MGZ, 256 mb memory, 128 mb video card ATI Radeon 9200 se s80 'sett squadron back on the assault'
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 04:41
Hi. I am antid0te. I've been using DB for about a year and am currently taking a class on C++. Wow that sounds familiar. Hi sett. Do you really think c++ is hard? I don't I think it is great with the oop and stuff.

I R tEh Antid0te! ROOOAAAR!
tpfkat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 10:10
i learnt c++ a few years ago, the language is easy, implementing it is another story.

peter_: sorry bud,didnt notice,but this thread is for all members ,that way they can introduce themselves to new members.

mods...it seems to be catching on,any chance of a sticky?
devastation
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm just starting cpp, it's not so hard, jsut more typing to do.

verydevastating.com
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " hey, how come ya'll noticed that lukas isn't a noob but you didn't notice i wasn't?"

Because I just saw the 2003 in the joined thing, and 2004 isn't as long ago.
Yamman
Years of Service
User Offline
i got dbp a few months ago, otherwise i have no programming experince.
WarGoat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2005 01:03
@Anditode

As Thicko said, learning the commands is not very hard, but getting them in a program in the good way is sometime hard. But, yeah, the OOP, class and all other stuff make it a really good language.

Windows XP,pentium IIII, 1,9 MGZ, 768 mb memory, 128 mb video card ATI Radeon 9200 se s80 'sett squadron back on the assault'
zaitsev57
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2005 03:00
Hi im zaitsev. Well im a total noob. I got DBPro two years ago, but i dunno, i guess i was discouraged. Anyway, im taking a visualbasic class at school and i have a renewed interest at DB.
In fact, im just restarting DB today! Visualbasic is fine and dandy (and easy too, easy class) but i wanna go ahead and further myself using DB (and make games for that matter)
learning DB by yourslef i would say is hard though, without a real teacher, but i guess i have the forums! Im goin through a bunch of tutorials around first before i try stuff on my own. If you have any ideas for me and which direction i should go do tell!
Thnx guys! im pumped ( i wanna make something really good like DUO, but thatll take tons of time, just imagining all thats involved) I got good math skills, in calculus and physics classes right now lol, i dunno if calc plays a role in programmin, but physics does. Ok ill stop before i write a book. thnx and cyas.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2005 05:23 Edited at: 15th Oct 2005 05:25
Hey good idea, I thought I saw something like this a while back must've gotten deleted o.O...

Anyways, you can usually find me on the forums helping people with their questions as best I can or on IRC chatting away with the gurus, I started programming when I was about 9 years old using an engine called BYOND, its free but only provides support for 2D games however it was amazing support that it offered.

After programming for 4 or 5 years I found Dark Basic Pro and immediately took an interest, I started out with a spinning cube, moved onto spinning it with the arrowkeys, then to moving it around the 3D worl with the arrow keys, then I added in other boxes and got some collision going, moved onto the Pong Tut (Excellent tut), then to making some basic 20 liners, then I started helping people out a lot, made some games of my own...And here I am now, writing The Newcommers Guide to Creating First Person Shooters, so far its helped a lot of people but I'm getting behind in my posts of the chapters, Ive been struck with tests to study before report cards and my job so I havent had time.

Only problem with me is I've NEVER, and I mean NEEEEVER finished a single program in my life, thats more than 5 years of programming and not one game to show. I always get awesome ideas that all my friends think would be awesome, I start them and get a good 60-70 percent done, and then drop them for a new game idea I have, never to be worked on again. I must have started more than 100, no maybe 150 games, all incomplete. It sucks but in the same way it's given me a great understanding of the language because I've done so many game genres in little amounts of time.

Well thats me, glad to meet you all.

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
That's what happens to me. It has not happened that much in Dark Basic yet, but when I used The Games Factory, which is an easy game editor thingy made by Clickteam, I always started a game which whas going to be huge, but I usually only finish the first part, 50% if I am lucky.
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2005 19:16
Quote: "Only problem with me is I've NEVER, and I mean NEEEEVER finished a single program in my life, thats more than 5 years of programming and not one game to show. I always get awesome ideas that all my friends think would be awesome, I start them and get a good 60-70 percent done, and then drop them for a new game idea I have, never to be worked on again. I must have started more than 100, no maybe 150 games, all incomplete. It sucks but in the same way it's given me a great understanding of the language because I've done so many game genres in little amounts of time."

It's so true. So very very true.

Anyway for those doing the c++ stuff I think OOP is the absolute best way to program since you can create multiple instances of objects which allows you to for instance (no pun intended) take coding to make a firework effect appear on the screen and then take the instances and make 50 of those fireworks without having to copy and paste code an insane number of times.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2005 00:11 Edited at: 19th Oct 2005 00:12
Quote: "Because I just saw the 2003 in the joined thing, and 2004 isn't as long ago."

haha, yeah but it was early 2004 and i actually got DB in december 2003 and although i've only made one sucky 3D game, i've made several 2D games that aren't crashes

anyhoo, so this post has some point i'll share a great joke with ya'll...

ok, why do programmers get halloween and christmas mixed up???
Oct 31st...Dec 25th

Octal 31 = Decimal 25 !!

(3*8 + 1*1 = 25)

--Peter

devastation
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2005 03:33 Edited at: 19th Oct 2005 03:34
hhehhehe

welcome zaitsev57 and yamman

i'll share a joke too

what did the fish say when he swam into concrete?

answer:
dam

verydevastating.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 07:30:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 07:30:44