Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / lpt to screen control

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a interface project that I would like to control a character on screen. The Lpt port will be used for on off data control. I would like the person character on screen to be driven by the data derived from the lpt interface. I am a total novice to todays programming packages and I wonder if anyone could suggest a package. I used to program 20 yrs ago in 6502, C and Z80 but I would like to begin with one of todays gui packages. I work in 3d solids and surfaces but in mech engineering not animation. I used to model products in surfaces so I was wondering if milkshape or maya would access the lpt. Or do I have to go back to C. Which I dont think I have the patience for these days.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 18:12
i have no idea what "lpt" is.

i do own milkshape though so if you could explain what you mean then i might be able to tell you

--Peter

"We make the worst games in the universe."

jack murray
Years of Service
User Offline
lpt = The long, (usually pink) connection on the back of your computer. Some printers still plug into this but most nowadays are USB.
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 07:55
Quote: "I used to program 20 yrs ago "

Welcome back to programming!

I know what lpt1 is (a parallel port) but i'm still a newbie to Darkbasic so I have no idea to get input from lpt1... sending data into lpt1 shouldn't be a problem though.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 01:26
LPT is short for Line Printer - yet another one of those TDK bits of useless information!...

As there isn't an equivalent of OUT PortNum in DB, you would probably have to do it via the Windows API using DLL's.

TDK_Man

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 07:19
Quote: "LPT is short for Line Printer - yet another one of those TDK bits of useless information!..."

Not totally useless. I still use lpt1 for my HP printer. Of course parallel ports are almost as dead as serial ports are now.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 19:18
Lol!

I didn't mean the LPT port was useless - just my description of what LPT meant.

TDK_Man

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 21:52
Ah... your description brought back many flashbacks of all the noisy dot matrix printers my family has had in the past.

I'm betting pretty soon motherboards won't have parallel or serial ports... and they'll add even more USB ports.
Me!
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm betting pretty soon motherboards won't have parallel or serial ports"

you win, this PC has every port or connectivity option on it under the sun,8 x usb2,2 x firewire, spdif optical in and out, ethernet, bluetooth, wireless lan, tv, radio, svhs, sd card, smartcard, stereo, dolby 5.1, but no serial or parallel port (I don`t think they had room tbh).

Tyger software

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 05:19:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 05:19:04