Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Space sim engine ( Modable , BSG mod being built)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 15:11
Well those who know me know i have been coding a Fun sim engine that uses fun physics.. that is sounds in space and well slight arcade feel .

the story i was originaly working on will require much media and as i have made leaps and bound in the modeling dept ..

i wont mak my dec 2005 full demo date so i wilscale demo back to what it can do now.

basicaly it will read a ship file and load that ship into the game .. setup guns and all thatare in the ship script .

It uses my auto turrets code.. so capitol ship have auto aiming realistic moving guns.

target drones have been replaced by a basic Cylon raider i knocked out in about 4 to 5 hrs (95% done)

it currently uses a crappy BSG model from a startreck bridge commander mod.
I'm fixing that and slowly rebuilding the mesh section by section .
many errors in it but it serves the purpose for now. Till i get time to replace it.(60% done)

i will be replacing one of my fighters with a Viper M2 from same ST BC mod. needs much fixing as well.(30% done)

right now enimies don't return fire or speed up to evade yet .

that will come soon. (40% done)

same for the missile systems. (70% done)

death explosions , i have media made .. and the quasi particle system in place .. just have to get the calling system hooked up.
(30% done)

hud is ok but no dash or details (40% done)

in game console (done)

remappable keys (done)

ini file for basic and deeper game settings (done)

load ships by .ship file (done)

auto gun ai (done)

blah ..blah ..
www.ejectedcore.com to see more on that crap . and pics and a few .wmv's

but for now a pic or two.

2 + 2 = 5 (for extreamly large values of 2)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 15:14
a few images

more on my site forums. ECforums

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 15:25
I like that spaceship

looking good so far!

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 15:39
Thanks guy.

The raider is very low poly as you can see from the hologram like image of the wire frame.

the texture is wher most of it lives. makes the model so to speak.
I could use mesh smooth and stuff on it and pul some bits up but if you are looking that close and it is not a cut sceen your not watching and you are going to get dead. LOL

i have loads of other high and low rez images on my web site.

I plan to use BlueGui to do the menus. but i may just go ahead with my own as per original plan.

example:

here is an older video of the engine in play with my original ships .. and just hunting target drones.

Video.wmv

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 15:44
i saw your topic on scifi-meshes :p

yea raider looks cool, add engine flame things, and it reminds me of freelancer with the tracking turrets and things

Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 15:46
Hey DC whats you SM handle ?

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 15:56
i know you wouldent guess it but 'dark coder', yea i never post there just nice to see some freaking amazing work once in a while

Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 16:07
yah some sick level models in there.

Good tuts. I have learned more in a few months on that site that i have learned in 2 years from books and cd's.

Would be sweet if Larsen lets me use his BSG .. he said he would when he finishes it .but it will prolly be 500k polys LOL .
just like Obi12077's fatboy, he wanted to give it a try but was worried cause it is 60k polys.. but DBP can handel a few 60k poly meshes no problem. Who knows , could work out to some sweet hirez meshes for those whos video cards and CPU's can handel it . I know mine CPU can't but my video card is fine.

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 16:28
Do you mind posting one of your ai scripts? I've been working a lot on a scripting plugin and it'd be interesting to see how your scripts look and how you used scripts with your game.

Check out my site!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 21:54 Edited at: 12th Oct 2005 22:59
Very nice. I like the gun tracking the raider.
Those are great models!

Maleck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 22:01 Edited at: 12th Oct 2005 22:02
If you are interested, i have a few BSG models I have been working on for a tech demo of my project that I could pass on to you if you like. I have the models, but no textures yet:

Viper MkII
Viper MkVII
Raider
Galactica (2 version, one 26K with ribs and one about 5K witout ribs)
Basestar (2 versions as well, not nearly the polies of either Galactica model)
Working on Pegasus now

Let me know. Email would probably be the best if you are interested. I cannot get ot the forus too frequently right now.

But you project is looking pretty good. Wish you luck.
Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 06:50
Maleck: That would be sick Dude.. love the help.

I can fix up and mapping and polys that i need to change if they are in .x or .3ds or .max. well any thing Milkshape or 3dmax can import. preferably a max format but .X is good {hope that did not sound picky I appreciate the offer and help}

Bizar: That would be my turret ai code locking and tracking the target . I think it is in the code base here .. If not i can post the basic turret ai , requires ezro enhanced.

only the Raider model is all mine.. the others are drastic fix -ups of ST BC meshes that have crazy bad errors and crap that neded fixing.

Torrey: my scripts are more like big INI files .. like homworld. real easy to use.

here is a .ship file as requested

so as you can see it sets the patter for teh varyables it will effect in the engine . NOt not all are in play just yet but they are there.
As i said one big special ini file .
wait till you see an NAv script .. it has conditionals ..and the combat AI will have a few conditional types in it.

thanks guys. Its the interrest that keeps me coding.

Deep Thought 42
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2005 13:13
http://scifi3d.theforce.net/
This is a site which contains a section for BSG models. Some of the models have a really high poly count though.

"There are no stupid questions, just a lot of inquisitive idiots."
Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2005 14:33
Deep Thought 42 . Thanks Been there .. I use Max 6 and 7 so i can bring up or down any poly count .. just takes time

Thanks for Helping and the thought

The raider on that site has been "used" by manny modders without permission. I have looked ant may mod's raider mesh and they are his raider under some basic over tweeking. shame.

so on that note i made my own using his and stills from the show .. as refs and made min from 1 box and 1 sphere and pulled on each vert and slice line untill i got the basic shape and the opend up a art app and traced the outlines from a tech reff. so i may not be polly accurate but when you're dog fighting with one you will be hard pressed to notice where teh details are just texture. and if i get normal maps to work hehehe .. i can use my mesh and his to make a normal map of the differances . heheh that will look even better if i get it to work .

any how .. using a snipet ( DK- 's ) i think i worked on teh front end menu... it temporary but ideas are helpfull

Attachments

Maleck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2005 20:11 Edited at: 14th Oct 2005 20:19
Let me see about compressing the model files I have and posting them, depending on the size. Still working on the Pegasus, but getting closer. Most of the models I have done now are for a LOD0 model for the engine I am working on. I have a couple LOD1 models I can pass alos also if you would like.

Fell free to change them as you need. I am only using them as tech models to make sure the engine I am working on is flexible enough for MODs that I think people will want to work on (SW, ST, BSG, B5, etc) to make sure I can support as many features a possible. Probably why it is taking so long to work on, but what the hay, this is for fun anyway.

---- EDIT -------
I have attached a RAR files with all the BAG models I have that are close to done. Like I said, no textures, but fell free to use as you like. I would like to see how they end up if you use them in your project.

I have one more Galactica model with more poly's than the one provided, but DBP does noe like it, too many (over 27K). I am trying ot see if I break it into limbs if I can get it in.

Oh, and I like the menu screen posted above. Looks good.

Attachments

Deep Thought 42
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2005 22:55
Nice menu screen.

"There are no stupid questions, just a lot of inquisitive idiots."
Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2005 06:03
dude i have a 60k poly BSG in my game now .. and a 20k poly viper that runs fine ??
i only have problems with number of objects

I know hat you mean about adding things to teh engine .. i have been working on mine for 6 years now. LOL

4 Deep Thought 42 . Thanks man .

Maleck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 22:02
I played around with the 27K version, and it appears that is was how I was exporting the X info. i have reconverted it and it works now. Thanks.

I am now adding a little more detail to it as I have better pictures of the Galactica than when I put this model together. Once i update it, I can pass it on. Should not abb more than a couple thousand poly's at the most. Still an LOD0 version for higherclass machines. Hopefully I can get it finished today, and I may incorporate a couple of the changes into the lower poly version I passed along earlier.
Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2005 05:53
cool . that should look sweet .

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "yea raider looks cool, add engine flame things, and it reminds me of freelancer with the tracking turrets and things "

Battlecruiser series by 3000AD is the best for space sims you can do everything except walk around your ship =(. I like to walk outside my ship on the hull and shoot it...why i have no idea i just find it neat to be able to walk outside my ship in a space suit.

When we talk to god, we're praying. When god talks to us, we're schizophrenic.
http://dbworlds.darkuniverse.net/
Maleck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2005 05:30 Edited at: 25th Oct 2005 02:18
Still trying to get the BSG updated. Will post it when finished. I have completely redone the lower forward hull, Added ribs to the bottom of the main hull, and added ribbing to the bottom of the hanger pobs.

----- UPDATE ------
Here is the updated BSG model. I lied a little, the number of poly's grew to 31,400, but still not too bad I think. I need to see about getting the changes into the lower poly version so the basic shapes match up. I will post that when complete.

Attachments

Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2005 11:48 Edited at: 10th Nov 2005 11:49
Whoa been a while since last up date

Those who a watching this closely have been poping into my site forum's gallery and news

here are some more wip pics
i don;t like that multy loader thing.

thisis teh units i intend to be player controllable.

Attachments

Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2005 11:52
thisis a start on the BSG i will use .. it will have a better texture later .. the hull so far is in game but it is on ly 50% done
it will be made to be fun to dogfight arround. and you can fly through the hangars now.
well next demo update (soon BTW)

Attachments

Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2005 11:56
and well one last pic heer showing the viper thrust package
(using a slight varyant of X-trades thruster objects)

Attachments

Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 05:06
well i have my explosions in place and working .

and hoping to wrap a few more things up to get the new version of the demo out tomarrow.

Undercover Steve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 05:29
this looks awesome! I love bsg!

Proudly a Member of the ANJL.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 05:52
honestly yes that does look pretty awesome. can't wait to test out a demo. You gotta totally allow random mp3 lists so if you go multiplayer u can have a ripper fo a time to mp3s, I remember some tv show or movie where they had a squad of fighters hiding behind some asteroids, then the renegade pilkot guy blasts his music throught eh comms and starts blowing em up spoiling hte ambush but they got the job done ayway and then he got reprimanded, what was that movie?? please dont tell me it was wing commander

Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 14:40 Edited at: 14th Nov 2005 14:44
could have been SAAB

well the new version of the demo will support mp3 playlists (the one after this one comming monday). in fact the whole project has had a change . .i'm going for very high mod-abillity.

you should be able to change the radar hud as long as you can make alpha'd .png's and you can add your own ships or edit current ones speks

sounds and all that crap

included is a jpeg'ed full screen grab so image quality is a bit low but you will get the idea.

Attachments

Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2005 04:00
clic pic to go get demo ;D

Want to know More? Click picture.

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2005 04:47 Edited at: 15th Nov 2005 04:50
[click,... click, ???, click,click,click,....]

Prime_8,

I think you forgot something mate? Or am I missing something??

I like your screenshot though and would really like to check out your demo.

[edit]
OH, you must have meant click your sig. OK, now we're talking.
[/edit]

Balid

Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2005 05:11
the ubb code is not working and i can't edit that post ?? it wont let me

Try this
Want to know More? Click

failing that click my sig link and go to my forums .

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2005 05:22
Prime_8,

That is one nice site you have. Just downloaded your BSG demo.

Balid

Mucky Muck Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2005 06:51 Edited at: 15th Nov 2005 06:53
It says that the file contains invalid data (the installer)

EDIT: Nvm lol the download wasn't finished

Im sick of Master Chief soo...ooga booga!!
Explain to me why some people pay money for 3d software? Its not 3d till its been blended. wwww.blender3d.org
Mucky Muck Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2005 07:12
Cool game, but i think that the ship moves too fast, and also in space ships dont' slow down when you turn off the engine but then maybe thats the feel you are going for.

Also, i found it annoying that there was seemingly no way to quit. I tried escape, control q, alt f4 and pressed every key in search of a menu button and ended up doing cntrl alt delete lol

Lastly, i would reccomend using one of the physics packages (newton is good) as you will find collision to be a big pain in the butt. Also it will make movement much more realistic.

Im sick of Master Chief soo...ooga booga!!
Explain to me why some people pay money for 3d software? Its not 3d till its been blended. wwww.blender3d.org
Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2005 11:15 Edited at: 15th Nov 2005 11:25
Ooga Booga
Quote: "Also, i found it annoying that there was seemingly no way to quit"

victom of the read me and the you should read the game.ini file bug. LOL

example of why on my site I said i was not going to update the included file as the one on my site would be better in the end.(when it is all done). no one ever reads the damn file.

in the game ini file you can set the ambient light to your liking the screen rez ..
( heheh in the .ship files you can change ship properties)
pick 1 of 3 ships.

on and make

All in the read me and the help post and better re-write of it in my forums.

if you don't like escape key (i don't) you can get out of the app by typing /exit in the console.

as far as speed hehe you must have been ripping .. you set the thrust valve level using keys 1 to 0 on the key board (not the number pad) that sets how wide the thruster is open when you thrust. the craft will drift forward as it gyros and dampers slow it down gradualy (also coverd in the readme). you will see an actual speed indicator on the right of the radar screen. taller that is the faster you are boogying.

If you have problems controlling at realy fast ..select 1 ro 2 .. to lower your thrust level. (you launch at full BTW)

I have tested all physics packages .. and frankly they don't serve me. this is built to use TV / arcade-ish physics. or Spizics
also require 3rd party DLL's i don't want.
my own colission is almost done .. math bassed with a wee bit of ray casting . Spizics wil include part of the AI threading for NPCs
and handle averaging for net players.

Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2005 09:07
click my sig .. or if this works just this like below to get a updated version of the demo .

It is just about ready for blend mapping settings .. hehe soon .

i have some sphere mapping and other weeks to lighting and options in the game.ini file.

http://www.ejectedcore.com/ecforum/index.php?topic=59.msg268#msg268

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 10:35:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 10:35:04