Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / What is the best program to start with?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I want to create computer (PC) games and I would like to know what you folks think what would be the best program that I should start with. (3D GameMaker, Dark Basic, Dark Basic Professional, etc.)

I am 63 yrs old and have some programming experience (MS Office), but I am actually wanting to learn how to create games so that I can help to teach my 13 yr old grandson how to make games also.

I am retired, so now, I no longer work for a living; now living works for me!
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 15:33
Well it depends. If you want a drag and drop type of experience use #D GameMaker. However, I think that Dark Basic Classic would be good to start with since it is a lot cheaper and if you decide you don't want to learn the language then you won't have to feel like you wasted $90 or however much it is where you are from.

I R tEh Antid0te! ROOOAAAR!
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 18:01
I agree!

As a beginner, DBC will take a long, long time for you to grow out of.

DBPro offers extra speed and many more advanced features - neither of which you'll need as a beginner.

If and when the time comes, you can upgrade to DBPro and like Antidote says if you don't take to it, (proper programming isn't everyone's cup of tea), you've not wasted as much money.

Download the trial version of DBC and have a play. I hope you do take to it as there aren't many of us 'old-timers' about at the moment.

TDK_Man

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 22:05
Back in the 90's I programmed in Quickbasic but stopped because of the limitations of the language (I finally got to the point where I made a program way too big for Quickbasic to handle). When a friend of mine told me about Darkbasic I found this place and downloaded the Darkbasic Classic trial. It only took me about 10 minutes to realize that I wanted Darkbasic BAD! It felt so good to be programming again. I ordered Pro instead of Classic because I had already experienced limitations of a language and I refused to relive the horror of non-programming for years just because of language limitations.

To me buying Classic is a waste of money if you ultimately go to Pro anyway. You won't regret buying Pro first if you decide you and your grandson like programming in Darkbasic.

Just look at this chart to see the differences of Classic vs Pro:
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=compare
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 22:09
Not to sound like a broken record but...

The only thing they dont have on the chart is a price comparison. You enjoy DBP more because you are advanced enough and committed enough to know that you will not waste the $90. A newcomer should try out DBC before committing an extra $70 to something they may not enjoy.

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 22:11
Quote: "Not to sound like a broken record but..."

I felt like a broken record too... 2 messages in a row where I posted the chart.
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 22:22
Same here... same here... [sigh].

Well we can justify it by having 2 very similar threads to answer to.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 05:30:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 05:30:39