Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / why are exe so big???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 00:26
i made a small test exe.just loads an xfile ,waits then exits and it was 9.2 mb!!

?????
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 00:52
Its proboly the X file thats so big...
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 00:56
the xfile i loaded is 163kb.
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 01:01
It depends on the Poly count. Whats the Poly count of the model? (Find out by putting "Print Statistic(1)")
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 01:05 Edited at: 16th Oct 2005 01:05
Unless you include the model in the exe then it's size does not affect the exe size. The main reason why DBP exes are so big is, if you use a command that is in a dll it includes the whole dll in the exe. Look in your compiler plugins folder to see the dll sizes. Sometimes DBP includes dll that are not needed as well, you can open the setup.ini and add any dlls that you do not want added into the exclude list. You can search this and the DBP forum for more information about this.

David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 01:08
my model is 598 polys.

@ lost in thought,thanks.1 question,how do i include my model into the exe??
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 01:15
The project manager has an include media checkbox and a browser to find the media you want to add.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 01:16
If you search the main DBPro forum for 'exe' you will find many posts about reducing exe size, mainly by forcing compiler to exclude unused converter dll's. You will save many MB off your exe. Here is one example;

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=53539&b=1

You can include model in exe by clicking 'media' button in editor and adding your model AND it's textures.

Boo!
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 01:20
ok,1 last question if i use load object command & i have my model included with the exe,what would be the path???

something like this??

: load object "model.x",1 ??
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 01:25
Correct. Should be just as if object was loaded from same folder. Or if object was originally added from a media folder (media\model.x) then just use media\model.x

Best way to test if it works, is to create the exe and then move the exe somewhere else, like your desktop, and run it from their and see if it still works.

Boo!
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 01:32
thanks!
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Unless you include the model in the exe then it's size does not affect the exe size. The main reason why DBP exes are so big is, if you use a command that is in a dll it includes the whole dll in the exe. Look in your compiler plugins folder to see the dll sizes. Sometimes DBP includes dll that are not needed as well, you can open the setup.ini and add any dlls that you do not want added into the exclude list. You can search this and the DBP forum for more information about this."

Excellent i was wondering why it was so big for my particle generator and someone told me it was all the DLL's and DLL's it didnt need to include so i will try this.

When we talk to god, we're praying. When god talks to us, we're schizophrenic.
http://dbworlds.darkuniverse.net/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 07:30:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 07:30:04