Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / help with first game (darkbasic classic) (FPS)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't figure it out, I followed everything as closely as I could, but when I made this, the cube dissapears after the first loop. Why?

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 23:46
Quote: "the cube dissapears after the first loop"

Probably because you are positioning the camera inside the box (As it's so big) - where upon it becomes invisible.

You are probably trying to do something like this:

If you want the camera to follow the cube, look at the Set Camera To Follow command in the help, or check out the beginners tutorials on my web page (link in my sig).

TDK_Man

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 23:48
I have altered your code for you. The sync on should only be used once at the top of your code when you set the sync rate. Don't put it in your main loop.

It is better to adjust variables with your control keys and then change the position of objects and cameras once at the end of your loop as I have done.

The code I have written is a conversion of what you have written but it doesn't appear to do anything. The reason is ... the object moves and the camera moves with it. Without a background image to show movement, you can't tell that anything is happening. So I have REMed out the camera position command just to show that there is movement.

Great Britain would be Amazing Britain if it wasn't for idiots like you bringing down the average!
boymonkey 130
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah, I was just getting the movement done before I made the ground, weapons, enemies, everything else. I was just wondering why it didn't work.
And also, I haven't checked extensively really, but can milkshape animate? thanks alot!
boymonkey 130
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks. I had it so it didn't look like it was moving because I hadn't made the ground, walls, weapons, or models.

By the way: can milkshape animate?
boymonkey 130
Years of Service
User Offline
(I didn't mean to post the second post) I just finished trying to get the camera to follow the bow, but it's not working.
The cube works right, but the camera won't follow, and I also want the camera more to the left of the cude, I couldn't find which number set that,

I'm really not too good at this.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 07:46
Quote: "I'm really not too good at this"

Then why on earth are you attempting an FPS as your first game?!

You ought to sit for an hour or so and read some of the posts on this board and see how many times people who know what they are talking about have tried to talk newcomers out of doing what you are trying to do. It's far too advanced for a first project.

I only helped because you appeared to be starting simple with just moving a box. Forget about 3D for now and learn the basics first. You can come back to 3D later - when you know how the stuff in the background works.

It's much better to do that than have everything not work and you give up trying.

Check out my tutorials (link below).

TDK_Man

boymonkey 130
Years of Service
User Offline
well, my freind came to my house, and we made a bunch of simple stuff, We made a kinda good flight thing, I did alot of sprites and stuff earlier, and he taught me a little 3d, so I'm just going forward with where he left. I just meant that I usually don't catch onto newer things too fast.

I didn't mean that I had just started, I meant I had just started with 3d.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 15:29 Edited at: 17th Oct 2005 15:29
http://www.ruccus.net/Tutorial.htm's always a good place to get your bearings on FPSs, it'll teach you the basics of creating that next Halo you're looking for.

P.S: Ill be adding a new chapter by tomorrow for sure, I mean it!

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 18:05
Quote: "P.S: Ill be adding a new chapter by tomorrow for sure, I mean it!"

So that means in about a week there will be a new chapter.

I R tEh Antid0te! ROOOAAAR!
boymonkey 130
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah, I think I saw some of that guide already, RUCCUS. and also, is it for classic, or pro?

BTW: tdk, I did read those tuts, they helped alot. ^_^
boymonkey 130
Years of Service
User Offline
nvm, read a little bit of it, and I saw it's pro.

Oh well, back to programming for 11 hours straight.
boymonkey 130
Years of Service
User Offline
sorry for all the posts, can't edit yet.

I've dropped the FPS ting for a bit, and am working on a huge 3d movement thing for a while, to practice how to move objects around, and I made a spiky ball out of cones and a sphere, but I want to make them all one object, would I make them into limbs to do this? this is my code so far, just in case you'll need it.

boymonkey 130
Years of Service
User Offline
here's some updated code, I want to make the spinning boxes circle halffway around the spiky ball, while slowing down, and then eventually reverse, speeding up, then repeating. I think I know how to, and I'll post it if I mess up, or can't figure something out.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 07:31:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 07:31:09