Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Easy to Learn Dark Basic?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
What is the easiest way to learn Dark Basic?
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 05:14
I can help ya

My e-mail is : rpgmakerx2@hotmail.com
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 06:51
Look at the examples that come with DB, looking up the commands you don't know in the help files (Press F1).

Change bits in the examples and see what effect it has when you run - but don't change too much or you won't remember what to do to put it back if it doesn't run!

Read Tutorials!

Yes, they can be boring, but absolutely essential if you want to learn how to program.

The important thing with a tutorial is that if you don't understand what it's saying, then it's aimed at a more advanced level than you are currently at.

The moment you hit something you don't totally understand, re-read it again from the start. If you still don't understand the same bit, don't read any more of the tutorial - come onto the forums and ask someone to explain the bit you couldn't understand. You can then go back and carry on with it.

There are a series of tutorials for beginners on my web site, written not only for begginners in DB, but beginners to programming in general.

One more tip... At first, start writing VERY simple programs - lots of them! Write a separate one to demonstrate every command you don't understand if neccessary. Use the forums if you get stuck.

Don't make your first ever program 3D - let alone an RPG or FPS!! And never, ever copy someone else's code into your program unless you know exactly what it's doing first. Doing this will only cause you problems because at some point your program will not work and you (or anyone else) won't have a clue how to fix it!

TDK_Man

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 18:59
As always TDK is right.

I R tEh Antid0te! ROOOAAAR!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2005 03:28
Quote: "What is the easiest way to learn Dark Basic? "

I learned by looking at codes, finding out why commands did things and what commands did what. I programmed about 3 basic 2D programs (which i sadly dont have anymore because i dont have the computer they were on ). Then I moved on to 3D, where i programmed with DBC until i got DBP. There i started Pirates of Port Royale and have started some "side games" since, and here i am now . Anyways, so just mess around with example code, use the F1 button, use tutorials, and combine codes to make your own. Once you understand why a code does something, you can start to use it in combination with other codes that you understand, eventually making a game. I'm also willing to help you, especially with 3D, just email me at "compkid328@aol.com" with any questions you have .

Video games…they take you places unreachable, unfeasible. Putting you in the book...putting you in the movie...putting you in a world, that before could only be imagined. expage.com/piratesmainpage.
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2005 13:30
i learned an am still currently learning.
the best way for me was to first think of what you want to do. and as you run into problems or dont know where to start. I would look in the dark basic help files under the help\helpcontents\commands
it was very explanitory. If i had any pter questions there are many people to help on the forums and many tutorial out there
tdk has writtin many himself. But i have to agree the best way to learn is to modify and change existing code to see what is does.

A child's dream never dies.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2005 16:23
I still use the commands menu

Foxy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2005 16:48
Well, if you want to try 3D, this might help you.

As for teaching yourself, try looking around the commands menu, and if you find an command that interests you, then read about it and try to make a program for it to work, and if you cant, then try another command. At least that is what I did/do.

Go to My Site, get bored and walk away.
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 07:50
Give it bash for the best or worst!
What i mean is try out the commands doing different combinations that is how am learning!
(plus i have some execllent help!)
And dont give up and listen to what TDK Man says about reading tutorials it can be very profibitable!

You Don't know the power of the Dark Side!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 07:22:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 07:22:07