Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / A few questions about DBPro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello. First of all is there a limit for the number of polygons that can be rendered at one time in DBP? And if there's no limit, whats the ideal number of polys to use for a good framerate (60ish i guess)?

Second, in a game i'm writing, I'm using a .x mesh exported from Geoscape 3D as my terrain, but i noticed that no matter how much of it is visible, the whole object is rendered. I've tried "set object cull objnum, 1" but it doesn't make a difference. Does anyone know how to hide the parts of my terrain that don't need to be rendered? This is important because i need large terrains, but a low poly count to preserve fps. Thanks
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2005 07:59
for your 2nd question:

theres a distance command for the camera u can set it to render only as far as u want.
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2005 10:05
Olive, you could use the advance terrain features if you are having a solely outside level.
The cull option you spoke of is to make sure that backfaces are not drawn, as apposed to culling parts of the level that aren't visable.

As for your first question it all depends on what else you have going on. For example AI can often be one of those things that really eats fps...also you have the fact that 100 models with 100 polies each are slower than one model with 10000 polies....It is quite a flexible figure.

Hope that helps a little.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 07:31:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 07:31:19