Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Having trouble grasping the DBP basics!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2005 00:12
i am quite frustrated that i dont seem to be making progress learning any of the basic commands.

anyone know of any techniques to learn the commands faster?

how long did it take you guys to get reasonably confident in it? if of course you have yet

ive only been doing this about a week, so im not expecting any miracles any time soon, but personal stories would be good reassurance.

i am really finding it hard to understand. im not going to give up until i can at least create a crude version of pong without any outside help i mean i have bought the software after all.

-Pain is temporary, pride is forever.
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2005 02:44
Well if you look at the top in the stickys there is a pong tutorial that I'm sure will help you.

WarGoat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2005 02:52
Learning the basic commands, and other commands, is long to truly understand them. It took me maybe 1 month, maybe. But that depends of you're will of learning, and as Antidote said, there a good pong tutorial. I wish you luck on learning DB.

Windows XP,pentium IIII, 1,9 MGZ, 768 mb memory, 128 mb video card ATI Radeon 9200 se s80 'sett squadron back on the assault'
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2005 03:06
Let me ask you this;

When you first started learning to speak you natural language as a baby, did you start saying full sentences in one week? Did you write a book in one week?
As you have assumed, the answer is no.
This DarkBasic Programming Language, has the same concept
I was in the same position you are in right now.

A good place to start out is here: http://www.computechtenerife.com/db.htm

Also, you can talk to me on MSN Messenger. My e-mail is: KronosDarkBasic@hotmail.com
I can help you learn.

~Xeno
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2005 03:17 Edited at: 19th Oct 2005 03:18
dont give up! . Programming is often harder than many people think at first, it's much like learning a different language. On commands you dont understand hit F1 with your cursor on it. So, stories...
I got DBC for Christmas...2002, looked at it for a few days, figured it didnt have much potential or would be too hard, and set it away for a while, forgetting about it. That summer i decided i would get it out, and was determined to make at least a small game. So, i worked a day or two making a game i called "A Walk in the Park". It was 2D, and it was a colored box, representing a person, which was about all i knew how to draw at the time. I then drew a ground, and a tree, and a sun, as 2D boxes in different colors. I didnt know how to make the "person" move. So i searched example codes until i finally came to one that would tell you the keystate and scancode of the key being pressed, and would move a circle around the screen using arrowkeys. I then found out what was making the circle move, put that code into mine, took out the moving up and down part. Then i implied what i had found out about using keyst to make things do things and what i had learned about making things change colors to make you be able to change the color of your "person" and i had my first game . So thats the story of my first "game". I then set out to make a second version, which i never completed, but the part i did do included a person with changeable head's, pants and shirts, able to switch between night and day, more advanced tree, and...thats it i think.

I also made a small karate game, which i wish i still had, made of 2D boxes, where it was 2 player and you could kick and punch and block high and low, and you scored points if they didnt block you in time (you could set the difficulty level of the game, which would control how long the word "Kick!" or "Punch!" would appear above your person, before the opposite player hit you). There was also a 2D driving game which never got far, but taught me a bit.

Then i discovered the fact that it was possible to make 3D games with DBC (yes, i was an idiot). I thought that you had to have DBP to make 3D games. So i set out to make a game based on the book "Bobby Pendragon". Through making those games i taught myself a lot. Being an idiot i still didnt realize that you could load models in DBC, another feature i thought was only for DBP. So, i got DBP for christmas 2003. It was also around that time in which i first watched Pirates of the Caribbean. It was immediately my favorite movie, and it, in combination with my love for history, sparked the idea of Pirates of Port Royale, formerly called only Pirates. Now here i am today, been working on it, off and on, for about 18 months. From there i just learned by looking at examples. It's like a foreign language, where the more you can understand, the better you can infer what a word you dont know means. Then in December of 2004 i discovered the greatness of these forums, after finding them through the book, "Game Design: Secrets of the Sages". So I've been working on Pirates of Port Royale ever since, and have started about 8 side projects which i pick up whenever i feel like. Now i get my help from the forums.

Now that you have my DBP life story, i offer you any help you want, and i hope my long story has encouraged you, because now i am on to making a large-scale 3D game, even with 2 years of not finding the forums. You, however, are lucky enough to stumble upon them this soon, as people will normally help you quickly and efficiently. Good luck .

EDIT: BTW, my email is "compkid328@aol.com" and my AOL s/n is "compkid328", im willing to help and your welcome to contact me whenever.

Video games…they take you places unreachable, unfeasible. Putting you in the book...putting you in the movie...putting you in a world, that before could only be imagined. expage.com/piratesmainpage.
WarGoat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2005 04:03
Xenocythe and Gil Galvanti are both right. Learning is hard and long. Start doing small game like a pong game, or even a smaller game like a text game. And, me too I can help you.

Windows XP,pentium IIII, 1,9 MGZ, 768 mb memory, 128 mb video card ATI Radeon 9200 se s80 'sett squadron back on the assault'
Deep Thought 42
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2005 04:06 Edited at: 19th Oct 2005 04:07
Yeah start out with a text game like I did. Go to the "Works in Progress" board and check out my first game. After you messed around with the basics then move on to a 2D game. Don't make a 3d game as your first project.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=60996&b=8

"There are no stupid questions, just a lot of inquisitive idiots."
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2005 04:14 Edited at: 19th Oct 2005 04:23
It helps if you start programming early but don't fear anyone can learn the language it just takes more time for different people.

I started programming using BYOND, a free 2d gaming engine, it was great but after 5 years of it I got quite bored. I was looking for something with more power so I could make, yes believe it or not, the next runescape, as every new programmer dreams of. (I was 9 at the time). I quit byond for a bit until my dad showed me Dark Basic, I imediately asked if I could get it and thus he showed me the demo, it was great and with my background knowledge of programming I set off quickly. Soon after I bought the full version of DBP and...quit. I put it away because school started and I just lost track of it. Similar to the story above, I got interested in programming again over the Christmas break and tried using it again. I started with a spinning box, moved onto controlling it with the keys, then added collision with other boxes, created a maze game where you were a box and when you reached the end of the maze the program closed, then I did the pong tutorial and set off from there, I began programming too many advanced things for me too fast, so I needed to slow down. I went back to the basics and made some simple 3D games, then I made snippets of all the things I'd need in a future game (camera movement, jumping, collision, shooting, animating objects, etc. ). Once I had about 20 snippets I started work on a 3Rd person shoother but lost interest. Then I basically hung around the forums learning and helping people at the same time, until I reached my current state. Now I have a huge grasp on dbp's commands and can create almost anything that comes to my mind, the tables have turned and now I'm writing my own tutorial to help newcommers called The Newcommers Guide to Creating First Person Shooters (found in the Newcommers corner), it's helped a lot of people so far and it isn't even done, I'm basically including everything in it that I think I would've found useful when I first started and sturggled to get answeres on. The funny thing is, I've never created an FPS before, so I'm learning aswell.

Hey, you asked for a story So as you can see, something as small as a spinning cube can progress to an FPS, it just takes different amounts of time. It also helps if you're very focused and able to pin point small errors, as we all know an error as small as a period in the wrong place can cause the entire program to crash.

Just ask enough questions on the forums, don't be rude about them try and explain them to the best of your abilities, and you'll learn quickly. I also recommend going on the IRC and chatting there, but warning, be prepared to be flamed, don't introduce yourself as a newcommer, instead act fairly experienced, often times everyone on the IRC are guru's that don't have time for newcommers that just ask any question without doing any work on it themselves.

Feel free to email me at ruccus@ruccus.net for any questions relating Dark Basic Pro, we might be able to set up a chat setion of some sort.

I just created a new email adress for programming help on MSN, add ask-ruccus@hotmail.com for programming help. I'll be on at certain times in the day.
Goodluck.

Diablos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2005 14:51
lol yeah i realise im a little bit impatient.

thanks everyone for the replies

ok ill keep practising. ive been reading tutorials and trying things out about 2 hours a day for a week now, so i should be getting somewhere soon.

-Pain is temporary, pride is forever.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 07:28:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 07:28:33