Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / I need help using collsiion detection for a platform style game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
It's a problem that's been plaguing me a lot, really. I own the trial version of DarkBASIC (Original, not Pro), and am running on a Gefore II MX, an AMD Athlon 800MHz, with 128 megs of RAM. Just for reference.

Being an avid Sonic fan, I wanted to make a fangame. I decided to start with something small, so I nabbed the Example 25 sliding collision tutorial. That was all fine and dandy, until I got tired of making collision boxes. I need something a bit better than that, something that will allow me to collide with things a bit more efficiently. I tried various ways of doing so, but all have the character falling through the floor, no matter how much I try to stop it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Shining Moonblade
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, make sure that you create a STATIC object underneath the floor or matrix (whichever you have for a floor. Like this:

make static collision box 0,0,0,5000,-1,5000

The above line takes care of a 5000 by 5000 size matrix. If you've got a box for a floor, try this:

make object collision box 3,-25,-25,-25,25,25,25,0

I've tried regular collision but it's always so blocky and I can't turn when on top of any boxes. This is the best I've got. I know it's tedious to create all those stupid collision boxes, but it helps in the long run.

Shining Blue Blade of Night
Seph
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. I hate collision boxes. And it's not really the tedium that gets to me, it's the fact that it does it in a box shape, thus not handling things like slopes or decoration edges well...

Again, thanks for your assistance, I'll be sure to try!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 01:31:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 01:31:39